Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp - Page 12

post #166 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

With the majority of the songs I listen to with my combo of 009 / BHSE/ K-01, I do get the Wow factor, but even so I'd like a change at times which is why I've ordered the GS-X. I cancel my order for the Aristaeus but changed my mind so I'm getting the Aristaeus after all. Hopefully the songs I have volume issues with the 009 + BHSE, [ which are only a few ] won't be such a problem with the Aristaeus.

 

What are your volume issues with certain songs through 009 + BHSE?

post #167 of 270

Absolutely not, I would spend it on music, I've done the Stax thing and the same clarity can be had for a lot, lot less!

post #168 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_h View Post

Absolutely not, I would spend it on music, I've done the Stax thing and the same clarity can be had for a lot, lot less!

Such as?
post #169 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

What are your volume issues with certain songs through 009 + BHSE?

 

The highs are intense with some songs I listen to which is probably caused by how they were recorded, I say that because with some of my CD's I can't help but increase the volume, the one in particular is " Echoes The Best of Pink Floyd " . I know I'm only nitpicking but when paying above £3000 for the SR-009 everything should be spot on. I didn't have the same problem when I used IanG's 007's with the BHSE but then IMO the 007 can't match the 009 when it comes to detail and transparency. I did have the 007mk1 along with the SRM-007t which I got in 2000, but in 2011 I used them as part exchange in getting the K-01 but after hearing Ian's 007 with my BHSE I'm now regretting letting the 007mk1's go. Most of the songs I listen to with the 009 + BHSE do sound amazing, it's just a few I have problems with. Hopefully those songs will sound OK when using the 009 + Aristaeus.

 

P.S. I know auditioning equipment before buying is the best thing to do, but in the UK it's not easy to do that. However there are a few reasons why I'm getting the Aristaeus.

post #170 of 270

What are the big differences between the 007mk1 and the 007mk2 that is for sale from Stax right now? I keep hearing that the mk1 is better, or the best, but don't know what the differences actually entail. Are the differences big?

post #171 of 270

Yeah...this

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwmclean View Post


Such as?
post #172 of 270

Nothing against the people who can spend in excess of 10K on their Stax 009 system but it is certainly possible to get very musically enjoyable systems for far less. That is a plug for us mortals who really enjoy the music. I own a modest Stax system along with some good dynamic hp's and I really don't think I would spend 10-12K to get the upgrade. I am the exception as I actually like what I have and really enjoy my music. If it was simply money no object then maybe I would go for it.

post #173 of 270

That wasn't really the issue. I loved my old dynamics but to say the same clarity can be had for much less (than a top end Stax rig) is just not true.

 

I also kind of get the vibe from this post that you're implying people with excessive Stax rigs don't enjoy their music as much as their gear. My journey through this hobby has never been about gear (well, kind of)...it's always been about enjoying the music to the maximum amount that I could. I even sold off all my gear at one point because I felt it had disconnected me from the music so much. I had to reevaluate my view on the hobby to get back into it.

 

It was almost a traumatic experience for me when I realized I cared about my gear more than the music. I'd lost sight.

 

It's taken me almost 3 years to get here, and I'm really happy with where I've ended up so far. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

Nothing against the people who can spend in excess of 10K on their Stax 009 system but it is certainly possible to get very musically enjoyable systems for far less. That is a plug for us mortals who really enjoy the music. I own a modest Stax system along with some good dynamic hp's and I really don't think I would spend 10-12K to get the upgrade. I am the exception as I actually like what I have and really enjoy my music. If it was simply money no object then maybe I would go for it.


Edited by MorbidToaster - 10/11/12 at 10:48am
post #174 of 270

Just because some pay 10-12k on audio equipment, doesn't mean they're wealthy. The money I had which enabled me to get the equipment I've got, came from a 25 year savings plan. I could have used that money on different things but listening with headphones has become a big part of my life.

post #175 of 270

Absolutely. I actually only make...Maybe $15,000 - $16,000 a year. I just have my priorities. wink.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Just because some pay 10-12k on audio equipment, doesn't mean they're wealthy. The money I had which enabled me to get the equipment I've got, came from a 25 year savings plan. I could have used that money on different things but listening with headphones has become a big part of my life.

post #176 of 270

I think the people who have slowly worked there way up the audio chain, really appreciate what they have got. Anyone with money can join a site such as this, get the bug and have a top of the range set up by the end of the week. But will they apreciate it as much? No. I'm loving where I am in this hobby at the mo, I've got two brilliant headphones and they give me so much joy and escapism at the end of the day (once my family is a sleep). When I think of my old Sennheiser 595's about 7 year ago... Every little upgrade is part of the great journey (I'm filling up here..), wouldn't want to skip straight to the top, missing out on all the great stuff on the way! This is the best hobby in the world for people who truly love music.

post #177 of 270

Yep, well said. I also feel like the ability to hear the subtle stuff is a learned trait through experience. That's why jumping to the top of the headphone chain, and missing the journey, is so discouraged. The refinement is lost on you.

post #178 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

What are your volume issues with certain songs through 009 + BHSE?

 

The highs are intense with some songs I listen to which is probably caused by how they were recorded, I say that because with some of my CD's I can't help but increase the volume, the one in particular is " Echoes The Best of Pink Floyd " . I know I'm only nitpicking but when paying above £3000 for the SR-009 everything should be spot on. I didn't have the same problem when I used IanG's 007's with the BHSE but then IMO the 007 can't match the 009 when it comes to detail and transparency. I did have the 007mk1 along with the SRM-007t which I got in 2000, but in 2011 I used them as part exchange in getting the K-01 but after hearing Ian's 007 with my BHSE I'm now regretting letting the 007mk1's go. Most of the songs I listen to with the 009 + BHSE do sound amazing, it's just a few I have problems with. Hopefully those songs will sound OK when using the 009 + Aristaeus.

 

P.S. I know auditioning equipment before buying is the best thing to do, but in the UK it's not easy to do that. However there are a few reasons why I'm getting the Aristaeus.

 

Thanks David, that pretty much jives with other impressions I have read, that this combo's transparency renders certain recordings a little "too well". I have to go by others' impressions as well because it's impossible to audition anything where I am and meets are non-existent.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_h View Post

Absolutely not, I would spend it on music, I've done the Stax thing and the same clarity can be had for a lot, lot less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

That wasn't really the issue. I loved my old dynamics but to say the same clarity can be had for much less (than a top end Stax rig) is just not true.

 

I also kind of get the vibe from this post that you're implying people with excessive Stax rigs don't enjoy their music as much as their gear. My journey through this hobby has never been about gear (well, kind of)...it's always been about enjoying the music to the maximum amount that I could. I even sold off all my gear at one point because I felt it had disconnected me from the music so much. I had to reevaluate my view on the hobby to get back into it.

 

It was almost a traumatic experience for me when I realized I cared about my gear more than the music. I'd lost sight.

 

It's taken me almost 3 years to get here, and I'm really happy with where I've ended up so far. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

Nothing against the people who can spend in excess of 10K on their Stax 009 system but it is certainly possible to get very musically enjoyable systems for far less. That is a plug for us mortals who really enjoy the music. I own a modest Stax system along with some good dynamic hp's and I really don't think I would spend 10-12K to get the upgrade. I am the exception as I actually like what I have and really enjoy my music. If it was simply money no object then maybe I would go for it.

 

You may have gotten Chodi's reply confused with mark_h's? I don't see where he implied that his experience was in any way superior, he just enjoys what he has.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

I think the people who have slowly worked there way up the audio chain, really appreciate what they have got. Anyone with money can join a site such as this, get the bug and have a top of the range set up by the end of the week. But will they apreciate it as much? No. I'm loving where I am in this hobby at the mo, I've got two brilliant headphones and they give me so much joy and escapism at the end of the day (once my family is a sleep). When I think of my old Sennheiser 595's about 7 year ago... Every little upgrade is part of the great journey (I'm filling up here..), wouldn't want to skip straight to the top, missing out on all the great stuff on the way! This is the best hobby in the world for people who truly love music.

 

That is what I keep telling myself, and I think that there is some truth to it. However if I had the discipline to save and research I could have jumped straight from my HD555 with a cheap Chinese (mis-matched) amp to a $12K uber-system with (comparative) ease by now. I believe that there is something to be said for both approaches and that it really depends on the individual. I too really enjoy what I have and will be listening to my first Stax system by this weekend (hopefully)!


Edited by grokit - 10/11/12 at 12:14pm
post #179 of 270

Right, excuse me, those were meant to be separate thoughts for separate people.

post #180 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

Nothing against the people who can spend in excess of 10K on their Stax 009 system but it is certainly possible to get very musically enjoyable systems for far less. That is a plug for us mortals who really enjoy the music. I own a modest Stax system along with some good dynamic hp's and I really don't think I would spend 10-12K to get the upgrade. I am the exception as I actually like what I have and really enjoy my music. If it was simply money no object then maybe I would go for it.

You have a good point. Long ago, I used to love my Sennheiser 424s with the yellow foam pads plugged into my AR Receiver (Acoustic Research).

Of course, the joy of being in my late teens-early 20s and confident that I would live forever had something to do with it...

 

(Loved that music from my AR turntable and Advent 201 Cassette Deck also :- / )

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp