Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp - Page 2

post #16 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

 

 

didnt say its better, just something to look forward to... i thought most people say they are around the same in sound quality? and you think high end dynamics/orthos can match sr009 in sound quality because sr009 doesnt do bass well?

It's always about preference. I didn't say anything like that. There's no 1 headphone that does it all. Furthermore,

I've already said for my preferences I prefer orthos, in part because of bass.

 

Overall I'd prefer the LCD-3, not that they get everything right either. They work better for my taste. 

 

The HE-6 on speaker taps gets pretty damn close to stax performance though, so....

post #17 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

It's always about preference. I didn't say anything like that. There's no 1 headphone that does it all. Furthermore,

I've already said for my preferences I prefer orthos, in part because of bass.

 

Overall I'd prefer the LCD-3, not that they get everything right either. They work better for my taste. 

 

The HE-6 on speaker taps gets pretty damn close to stax performance though, so....

 

 

i know its getting off topic but will you be getting the lff's paradox anytime soon? interested to see your opinion on it...

post #18 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

 

 

i know its getting off topic but will you be getting the lff's paradox anytime soon? interested to see your opinion on it...

Eventually. I just seem to always put it on the back burner. Preproman will be able to compare them to the Mad Dogs though...

Eventually....when he gets them back. haha.

post #19 of 270

very much looking forward to his and your impressions, i have a stock t50rp that i dont use AT ALL!!! its weird sound, i never like it. around christmas, i should have my fostex hpp1 with a moon audio silver dragon LOD cable... cant wait... (waiting impatiently frown.gif)

post #20 of 270

I would definitely trade everything i have for an Sr-009, since thats my end goal im working towards right now anyways.

 

Theres not a headphone out there, that ive heard, that has the same magic as the 009s do. Sure the HE-6s sound close off of a good speaker amp, but its almost like an uncanny valley thing for me. The closer they get, the easier it is to tell that they just arent there.

 

But im not a "multiple flavors" guy. i think theres one sound im looking for, and it works for all the music i listen to, and the Sr-009s are it.

 

Also, i dont like any other stax headphones, i think the 009s are the only ones that can do bass right.

post #21 of 270

btw, whats so wrong about sr009's bass? is it lack of quantity?

post #22 of 270

I personally don't have a problem with Stax bass. If there isn't enough, that's what bass boost/EQ is for.

 

Then again, I'm not looking for my headphones to give me a head concussion. I actually rather like the "ethereal" presentation they have.

 

As he said, desired audio equipment is very much down to personal preference. Stax may be right up my alley, but it isn't for everyone. Only a first-hand audition will let you determine if it's right for you or not.

post #23 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Uh, the 009 is better than the Orpheus. I think the big problem here is hyperbole towards Stax. Even the BHSE + 009

doesn't do bass like an ortho and any number of SS or tube amps. It's just what they do bad, yet people act like they

are an unblemished headphone....

 

The question should be: Would you rather have HE-6, HD800, LCD-3, and x amp that equates to the mark of 009 and BHSE or the latter. haha.

 

Then it'd be a little more interesting...2cents.

 

Have you heard the SR-009 and Orpheus?  If so, you'd be in the minority with that opinion.  I've let people compare the SR-009 and Orpheus side by side with various amps and I'd estimate 80-90% preferred the Orpheus.

 

More bass doesn't mean better bass.  I find the SR-009 (and SR-007) does bass better than pretty much anything out there.  An accurate amount of slam, flat extension to 20Hz, and way more detail/texture than you'll get from the other headphones being discussed.

post #24 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

 

More bass doesn't mean better bass.  I find the SR-009 (and SR-007) does bass better than pretty much anything out there.  An accurate amount of slam, flat extension to 20Hz, and way more detail/texture than you'll get from the other headphones being discussed.

Bass heads will seldom be satisfied with Stax. They are too accurate for listeners who want more bass than there is on the recording. I am not in that category and I am 100% with the Stax sound.

 

Unfortunately, hearing this stuff at a meet is not adequate. You have to spend time with the rigs. It takes time to get used to any new presentation, and especially to find out what it is like to listen to less distortion than you are used to. On first listen it seems like something is missing. And it is. Inaccurate reproduction usually exaggerates some things. Given time, most end up preferring accuracy. But not hard core bass heads. Horses for courses.


Edited by Clarkmc2 - 9/30/12 at 8:28pm
post #25 of 270

I've owned both for prolonged periods, with overlap - I find the SR-009s piss all over the Orpheus

 

 

 

I couldn't agree more with your point about Stax bass, however.  This, on top of the fact that only 1 in 500 recordings even approaches 30hz, let alone 20hz

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

 

Have you heard the SR-009 and Orpheus?  If so, you'd be in the minority with that opinion.  I've let people compare the SR-009 and Orpheus side by side with various amps and I'd estimate 80-90% preferred the Orpheus.

 

More bass doesn't mean better bass.  I find the SR-009 (and SR-007) does bass better than pretty much anything out there.  An accurate amount of slam, flat extension to 20Hz, and way more detail/texture than you'll get from the other headphones being discussed.

post #26 of 270

As for the title question...I did. I don't regret it at all. 

 

Owned HE500s, LCD 2.2s, HD800s, D7000, and heard many current production top tier cans (No T1)...The SR-009 poops all over them. 

 

I can't believe the comments about the bass. There's really no contest even from the various orthos. Not quite as much, but oh so much nicer. They also respond better to EQ than any ortho I've heard so that point is moot. 

 

They're more comfortable than any ortho I've worn and only bested by the D7000 in that department.

 

To put this in perspective though...The 009 is the only stat can I've heard that I liked. 

post #27 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

I've owned both for prolonged periods, with overlap - I find the SR-009s piss all over the Orpheus

 

 

 

I couldn't agree more with your point about Stax bass, however.  This, on top of the fact that only 1 in 500 recordings even approaches 30hz, let alone 20hz

 

 

Maybe this n3rdling guy's hearing is simply "far far different from most" rolleyes.gif

post #28 of 270
Would you eat the same food for the rest of your life? Would you sleep with the same woman for the rest of your life? biggrin.gif
post #29 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post

Would you eat the same food for the rest of your life? Would you sleep with the same woman for the rest of your life? biggrin.gif

 

 

only if she looks exactly like adriana lima!!! biggrin.gif

post #30 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post

Would you eat the same food for the rest of your life? Would you sleep with the same woman for the rest of your life? biggrin.gif

Yes, of course. If other candidates are worst, I prefer to sleep  with the same woman, eat the same food or listen the same Stax modelL3000.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp