Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp - Page 9

post #121 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I meant what are you pushing it with speaker amp wise?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I've got an excellent vintage Lambda Pro for starters, can't wait to hear them!

 

Oh. My Alesis RA150, which does double-duty driving my HE6 and K1000 as well. It's fed by the WA22 in balanced preamp mode.

post #122 of 270

That's a dirt cheap power amp. Eager to hear how it fairs. Sounds legit to me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

Oh. My Alesis RA150, which does double-duty driving my HE6 and K1000 as well. It's fed by the WA22 in balanced preamp mode.

post #123 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

That's a dirt cheap power amp. Eager to hear how it fairs. Sounds legit to me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

Oh. My Alesis RA150, which does double-duty driving my HE6 and K1000 as well. It's fed by the WA22 in balanced preamp mode.

 

On paper I know that the the RA150 looks like the glaring weakness in my system, especially since I upgraded the DAC to the Gungnir. But when I have the HE6 on my head in particular, I feel no reason to upgrade it.

post #124 of 270

It's not attractive but if it's good it's good. 

 

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

On paper I know that the the RA150 looks like the glaring weakness in my system, especially since I upgraded the DAC to the Gungnir. But when I have the HE6 on my head in particular, I feel no reason to upgrade it.

post #125 of 270

So much agonizing here. LCD3s, TH900s, and 009s are all great. I love them all.

post #126 of 270

Interesting how now I have stumbled upon this thread....

 

I've been on the same boat for some time, ie. looking for that ultimate end game rig. And I actually pulled the trigger on it a week ago.

 

I've sold all my dynamics and dynamic amp for the 009s and a WEE.  Alex ran out of LL so i'll have to make do with a WEE for now.

 

Interesting how rgs9200m mentions the LCD3s, TH900s and 009s, as my LCD3s and TH900s are now sold awaiting the 009s.  The LCD3s and TH900, while were very high class performers, they failed to elevate me to that next level.  The LCD3s didn't have a the clarity and precise soundstaging, while the TH900s were extremely fun sounding, but lacked in overall 'reference' neutrality.  Don't get me wrong, both are extremely good at what they do, but for me clarity and sound staging are the most important for my ears and my few hrs with the 009s, my brain was convinced that this was on another level.

 

Well i'll only know in a weeks time or so if this was the right decision lol

 

I've got a few different amps to pair with the WEE:   Rotel 1080, Cambridge 840W and a pair of Parasound JC-1 monoblocks.

 

I'd sure hope that when pairing with the JC-1s it should best even best electrostatic amps.

 

Damn this is an expensive hobby. ahaha

post #127 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpz View Post

Interesting how now I have stumbled upon this thread....

 

I've been on the same boat for some time, ie. looking for that ultimate end game rig. And I actually pulled the trigger on it a week ago.

 

I've sold all my dynamics and dynamic amp for the 009s and a WEE.  Alex ran out of LL so i'll have to make do with a WEE for now.

 

Interesting how rgs9200m mentions the LCD3s, TH900s and 009s, as my LCD3s and TH900s are now sold awaiting the 009s.  The LCD3s and TH900, while were very high class performers, they failed to elevate me to that next level.  The LCD3s didn't have a the clarity and precise soundstaging, while the TH900s were extremely fun sounding, but lacked in overall 'reference' neutrality.  Don't get me wrong, both are extremely good at what they do, but for me clarity and sound staging are the most important for my ears and my few hrs with the 009s, my brain was convinced that this was on another level.

 

Well i'll only know in a weeks time or so if this was the right decision lol

 

I've got a few different amps to pair with the WEE:   Rotel 1080, Cambridge 840W and a pair of Parasound JC-1 monoblocks.

 

I'd sure hope that when pairing with the JC-1s it should best even best electrostatic amps.

 

Damn this is an expensive hobby. ahaha

The monoblocks are nice, but if that were the case I don't anyone would spend 4-6k on a dedicated electrostatic amp.

post #128 of 270

Just some more 2 cents here about the dynamics vs. 009s.

The dynamics (lcd3 + th900s) have a nice ambience and maybe just the right amount of focus around images that to me sounds like something that lets me breathe easy.

This generation of dynamics (well, just the lcd3s and th900s for now) gives me the feeling there is no meaningful or important sacrifice

of tonal or spatial or imaging  definition or detail. (in fact, perhaps more detail would ruin the affect, or make things too analytical.)

The music is just there and I feel nothing is missing or awry and I say to myself I wouldn't change the design of these in any way.

 

Now the 009s do dig deeper into the detail and character of each vocal and instrument, and imaging is a little more precise, and bass is more controlled and detailed

and they are thrilling and musical also, a breakthrough headphone. 

 

But what the 2 dynamics bring to the table are "versions" of reality that seemed to be designed by master artists, and the sonic presentations they produce to my

ears are works of art that stand on their own merits. I truly cannot find a "winner" among the 3,

and I feel it would be dishonest to say objectively, meaning to everyone's taste, that the 009s are elevated, or in another league, or whatever way a blanket statement can be made.

 

 I believe that a "best" system can be built around any of these phones, and that there can be multiple different kinds of bests.


Edited by rgs9200m - 10/5/12 at 10:30am
post #129 of 270

Sounds like a breakthrough in social engineering.

post #130 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycalgary View Post

Sounds like a breakthrough in social engineering.

And that sounds like bitter envy. smily_headphones1.gif
post #131 of 270

Not at all. Right now I am listening to Sigma pro's and wondering why there is nothing remotely close in this type of sound by Stax or anyone else. I just want to hunt down and buy an older pair Lambda 303, 202 etc drivers or try Koss 950 drivers and diy a pair. I know I can do them better.

post #132 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

It's not attractive but if it's good it's good.

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

On paper I know that the the RA150 looks like the glaring weakness in my system, especially since I upgraded the DAC to the Gungnir. But when I have the HE6 on my head in particular, I feel no reason to upgrade it.

 

I actually like the way it looks in a rack, it's not very photogenic but it's not too bad at all in person. It will look even better with a WEE sitting on top!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpz View Post

I've sold all my dynamics and dynamic amp for the 009s and a WEE.

 

How long did it take for your WEE to arrive after you ordered it from Woo?

post #133 of 270

@Grokit

I haven't received the 009 or the WEE yet.  I ordered through a local dealer.

 

@Golfnutz

Well I don't really think anyone in the right mind would go and buy those monoblocks over a dedicated electrostatic amp simply because they were over 8k for the pair of them :S

post #134 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycalgary View Post

Not at all. Right now I am listening to Sigma pro's and wondering why there is nothing remotely close in this type of sound by Stax or anyone else. I just want to hunt down and buy an older pair Lambda 303, 202 etc drivers or try Koss 950 drivers and diy a pair. I know I can do them better.

 

In this case, have a look to the DIY stat thread, some people over are doing just amazing stuff and giving official stases a run for the money ;)

post #135 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpz View Post

@Grokit

I haven't received the 009 or the WEE yet.  I ordered through a local dealer.

 

@Golfnutz

Well I don't really think anyone in the right mind would go and buy those monoblocks over a dedicated electrostatic amp simply because they were over 8k for the pair of them :S

I've never seen anyone pay full price for Parasound, it's usually 20-25% off list to start (for new). As a matter of fact there's a used pair available on Audiogon for 4.2k right now. Price of any high current class A amp isn't the point here. They simply won't out perform a decent dedicated electrostatic HP amp.

 

Anyway, hope you enjoy your system when it arrives. Regardless of what's driving the 009, they still sound amazing, as your about to find out.

 

Sorry, forgot to mention. I also own the Parasound 2205A. So it's nothing against Parasound.


Edited by Golfnutz - 10/6/12 at 4:35am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp