Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › 4 gigs vs 8 gigs RAM on MBP?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4 gigs vs 8 gigs RAM on MBP?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hi, I recently upgraded from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of RAM on my late-'09 MacBook Pro, and the increase in sq was tremendous when using Amarra. Would an upgrade to 8 gigs result in another significant upgrade, or something minimal/marginal? Thanks!
post #2 of 27

You're kidding, right?

post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

You're kidding, right?

Why would I be kidding?

post #4 of 27

There should be not a single reason why RAM upgrades would have any effect on sound, ever. 

post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

There should be not a single reason why RAM upgrades would have any effect on sound, ever. 

Why in the world not? Lots of listeners have documented improved sound quality after upgrading RAM. John Atkinson in Stereophile, for example.

post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post

Why in the world not? Lots of listeners have documented improved sound quality after upgrading RAM. John Atkinson in Stereophile, for example.

Please link to this. I would like a link to this.

post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

There should be not a single reason why RAM upgrades would have any effect on sound, ever. 

 

This x 1000000000.

If this is indeed happening, something's wrong with your player.

post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post

Why in the world not? Lots of listeners have documented improved sound quality after upgrading RAM. John Atkinson in Stereophile, for example.

 

I upgraded my late 09 MBP from 2GB to 8GB RAM. I did hear a huge difference; as in I can now open up my music programs faster and hear the music sooner. But SQ is exactly the same to me. Upgrade to a SSD and then there will be a massive difference in speed and I might believe less noise (thus better SQ?).

post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

 

Upgrade to a SSD and then there will be a massive difference in speed and I might believe less noise (thus better SQ?).

 

Speed, yes.

SQ, no. Unless something (like an amp etc) is picking up the RF noise from your HDD.


Edited by proton007 - 9/30/12 at 7:45pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

 

This x 1000000000.

If this is indeed happening, something's wrong with your player.

It could be that Amarra is a resource hog (last time I saw it working, it seemed to be that way), and that there's a lack of ram in the system overall (not probable, 2GBs is huge, my media server has less than that) resulting in the player stuttering or something. But that wouldn't be a SQ increase, rather the SQ returning to normal. Again I'm oversimplifying, there seems to be no reason to get into too much technical detail, as common sense would generally dictate against this whole issue.

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

It could be that Amarra is a resource hog (last time I saw it working, it seemed to be that way), and that there's a lack of ram in the system overall (not probable, 2GBs is huge, my media server has less than that) resulting in the player stuttering or something. But that wouldn't be a SQ increase, rather the SQ returning to normal. Again I'm oversimplifying, there seems to be no reason to get into too much technical detail, as common sense would generally dictate against this whole issue.

 

I agree, a possible cause would be buffer underrun, but that would cause gaps and stutter as you say. 

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

 

Speed, yes.

SQ, no. Unless something (like an amp etc) is picking up the RF noise from your HDD.

This happens with the FiiO E10s. A lot. That and the noisy socket makes me think twice about keeping it.

 

Still don't see a link. Guess I'll find this Stereophile article myself.

post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

This happens with the FiiO E10s. A lot. That and the noisy socket makes me think twice about keeping it.

 

Still don't see a link. Guess I'll find this Stereophile article myself.

 

The E10 has noise issues with sensitive headphones/IEMs, but I'm not sure its because of the HDD. Have you tried it on some other device to ensure that?

post #14 of 27

Two laptops and a desktop. Although it could just be the noisy socket (really, really bad socket). I detect some noise when my cell phone is next to it as well. Same noise on another E10 as well. My Benchmarks seem fine (maybe because there's actually shielding, though not on purpose I guess)

post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Two laptops and a desktop. Although it could just be the noisy socket (really, really bad socket). I detect some noise when my cell phone is next to it as well. Same noise on another E10 as well. My Benchmarks seem fine (maybe because there's actually shielding, though not on purpose I guess)

 

Then it seems the E10 is picking up noise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › 4 gigs vs 8 gigs RAM on MBP?