New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HF5 vs R50 vs GR07

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

after long hours of research i've narrowed down to these 3 IEMs but i don't know which one is the best because they all seem really similar and there wasn't much comparisons between these headphones. what i'm looking for is a good balance on all 3 frequencies ,but i slightly favor towards mids and highs because i listen to a lot of instrumentals, female vocals, a little bit of trip hop like re:plus and nujabes.

 

it would be greatly appreciated if i can get some comparisons between the 3 IEMs

post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightBrothers View Post

after long hours of research i've narrowed down to these 3 IEMs but i don't know which one is the best because they all seem really similar and there wasn't much comparisons between these headphones. what i'm looking for is a good balance on all 3 frequencies ,but i slightly favor towards mids and highs because i listen to a lot of instrumentals, female vocals, a little bit of trip hop like re:plus and nujabes.

 

it would be greatly appreciated if i can get some comparisons between the 3 IEMs

 

I would say the HF5 then.  The GR07 based on what I've read has a slight bass bias, the Etymotics have a treble bias (this one from experience).  I have not heard the R50, but from what I've read, it sounds very similar to the B2.  The B2s have a treble focus as well as a bass focus (sounds slightly v to me).  The Etymotics seem like they would render female vocals a lot better.  

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

how does the bass compare to the re zero? i've listened to one of my friend's re zero and it was NEAR my threshold for the least amount of acceptable bass. for me the ideal bass would be something that is a bit weaker than the SE215

post #4 of 11

The Mids, highs are better on HF5 because they offers much cleaner soundsignature and they insert deep in the ear so bass is pretty good on these and overall all frequencies response are well balanced with great imaging. The Gr07 are slightly warm, has wider soundstage and bass is more present with great mids and highs.

post #5 of 11

I'd go HF5 as well. Believe it or not, I'd say the GR07 is the least informative of the 3. They are not a masked phone but they will not have the last little bit of decay etc you can get from a HF5 or TWFK. I haven't heard the MKII so perhaps that's improved. The HF5 will also have the smoothest highs of the 3. Both it's and the GR07 mids are very good but different in presentaion., HF5s being more up front. HF5 have the least bass of the 3 which is a bit light but not bad. GRO7 has a little extra but not enough to disturb the mids. I'm less a fan of the very informative TWFK driver than most though I've heard it sound quite good. It has a peak on top and as you minimize it, the mids can suffer. Likely why you see so much tip rolling on them. I prefer the smoother takes on it but if you like a bit of sparkle and near neutral bass it may be perfect for you.

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightBrothers View Post

how does the bass compare to the re zero? i've listened to one of my friend's re zero and it was NEAR my threshold for the least amount of acceptable bass. for me the ideal bass would be something that is a bit weaker than the SE215

 

I haven't heard the RE ZERO, but the HF5 has less bass quantity than the RE0.  I actually prefer the RE0 for bass due to the better perceived depth, body, and texture it creates.  

post #7 of 11
So, which one is it? I am trying to decide between the R50s and the GR07 but have not managed to make my mind yet.
post #8 of 11

If you're inclined towards the Ety HF, I suggest taking a look at my review, because I noticed that a lot of people buy the HF and later end up selling the HF and buying the ER-4. My review reflects the differences between the two.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598267/review-etymotic-hf5-or-the-er-4

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

If you're inclined towards the Ety HF, I suggest taking a look at my review, because I noticed that a lot of people buy the HF and later end up selling the HF and buying the ER-4. My review reflects the differences between the two.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598267/review-etymotic-hf5-or-the-er-4

 

That's an excellent comparison you got there. Having owned HF2 and ER4P/S at the same time I agree with you - HF5 is, warmer, more forgiving and more fun to listen to overall, but ER4S is all about accuracy and has incredible, clarity, definition and transparency, especially in the mids. Personally, i don't like the ER4P very much though - they are less fun than HF series and yet not as transparent and accurate as ER4S either, so pretty hit and miss in my view. HF series are some of the most balanced headphones I ever heard and in a way maybe even more so than ER4S (and definitely more balanced than ER4P). They have some warmth, yet also just the right amount of detail and definition to allow them to walk the fine line lending themselves well to both analytical and musical listening IMO. Every frequency range seems to be present in just the perfect amount with them and I disagree with those who think they lack bass or have too much treble. Also, for those who are not aware - all HF series Etymotics sound pretty much identical.

 

With this being said, the current crop of dynamic driver IEMs are also pretty darn great sounding and approach balanced armature drivers in clarity and transparency. Out of the dynamics I tried, I highly recommend JVC FXT90 which are a wonderfully balanced, inexpensive dual driver dynamic. It offers much of Etymotic ER4S transparency, but also sounds more powerful in the bass, has better dynamics and a more 3 dimensional soundstage. I think it's detail is as good, or very close to the HF series. Overall, both are superb choices for sub $200 IEMs.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

That's an excellent comparison you got there. Having owned HF2 and ER4P/S at the same time I agree with you - HF5 is, warmer, more forgiving and more fun to listen to overall, but ER4S is all about accuracy and has incredible, clarity, definition and transparency, especially in the mids. Personally, i don't like the ER4P very much though - they are less fun than HF series and yet not as transparent and accurate as ER4S either, so pretty hit and miss in my view. HF series are some of the most balanced headphones I ever heard and in a way maybe even more so than ER4S (and definitely more balanced than ER4P). They have some warmth, yet also just the right amount of detail and definition to allow them to walk the fine line lending themselves well to both analytical and musical listening IMO. Every frequency range seems to be present in just the perfect amount with them and I disagree with those who think they lack bass or have too much treble. Also, for those who are not aware - all HF series Etymotics sound pretty much identical.

 

With this being said, the current crop of dynamic driver IEMs are also pretty darn great sounding and approach balanced armature drivers in clarity and transparency. Out of the dynamics I tried, I highly recommend JVC FXT90 which are a wonderfully balanced, inexpensive dual driver dynamic. It offers much of Etymotic ER4S transparency, but also sounds more powerful in the bass, has better dynamics and a more 3 dimensional soundstage. I think it's detail is as good, or very close to the HF series. Overall, both are superb choices for sub $200 IEMs.

 

Thanks, coming from you that's quite the compliment. I agree how the HF sounds more "neutral" because the ER-4S has a bit too much of a cool touch, making things sometimes too realistic. I found the ER-4PT to be a sort of middle ground between the HF and ER-4S, but with that said, it failed to achieve the levels of detail the ER-4S achieved and the level of forgiveness and warmth the HF gave. With that said, the HF is in no way a warm sounding IEM, but it is significantly more "real", as in warmer, than the ER-4S. 

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

If you're inclined towards the Ety HF, I suggest taking a look at my review, because I noticed that a lot of people buy the HF and later end up selling the HF and buying the ER-4. My review reflects the differences between the two.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598267/review-etymotic-hf5-or-the-er-4

 

And a lot of people can't tell the difference. Which would make sense because they are the same driver sold at two different prices...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: