Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player? - Page 15

Poll Results: Would you buy a Pandora to use as your portable player?

 
  • 31% (24)
    Yes
  • 68% (52)
    No
76 Total Votes  
post #211 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Not sure what they'll choose. The original Pandora was designed around <not> having the best of everything, it was designed around having a good balance of quality between all of the parts.

 

Honestly, this is what I expect from the Pandora 2:

 

--1280x720 5" AMOLED

--Wifi/3G/4G capability

--1.2-2.0 GHz Dual-Core CPU

--PowerVR SGX544 or higher

--1-2GB RAM

 

Quad-core CPUs are a bad idea, because most of them heat up too much and don't overclock well.

What you're wishing for there is less powerful than this device....http://www.thenewstribe.com/2012/10/15/samsung-galaxy-note-2-features-and-spec/ blink.gif

post #212 of 364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Not sure what they'll choose. The original Pandora was designed around <not> having the best of everything, it was designed around having a good balance of quality between all of the parts.

 

Honestly, this is what I expect from the Pandora 2:

 

--1280x720 5" AMOLED

--Wifi/3G/4G capability

--1.2-2.0 GHz Dual-Core CPU

--PowerVR SGX544 or higher

--1-2GB RAM

 

Quad-core CPUs are a bad idea, because most of them heat up too much and don't overclock well.

What you're wishing for there is less powerful than this device....http://www.thenewstribe.com/2012/10/15/samsung-galaxy-note-2-features-and-spec/ blink.gif

Uh. 

 

The only thing the note 2 has over what I just said is a quad-core CPU, which is bad because it doesn't overclock well, as I JUST said. 

 

And, the Note 2 is quite literally brand new.

post #213 of 364

and thus in its stock condition what you envisioned to be pandora 2 is weaker than the galaxy note 2,brand new or not, unless the pandora 2 comes NOW or in the near time(like 1 -2 year near) , it is still losing in spec to an already release unit

post #214 of 364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

and thus in its stock condition what you envisioned to be pandora 2 is weaker than the galaxy note 2,brand new or not, unless the pandora 2 comes NOW or in the near time(like 1 -2 year near) , it is still losing in spec to an already release unit

Dude. Do you have ANY idea how fast phones go outdated? It's impossible to NOT have it become outdated. Literally impossible.

 

Besides, the Pandora is not a phone. No phone (save for the horribly spec'd Xperia PLAY) has gaming controls.

 

And BEFORE you say it: virtual keypads suck.


Edited by takato14 - 11/9/12 at 11:22pm
post #215 of 364

Thus the pandora 2 if it have that spec you envisioned it will be even more outdated, I am still not seeing how the spec you envisioned would be the next generation pocket device compared to whatever that comes and will outdate everything on the market now

post #216 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

Thus the pandora 2 if it have that spec you envisioned it will be even more outdated, I am still not seeing how the spec you envisioned would be the next generation pocket device compared to whatever that comes and will outdate everything on the market now

 

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/instruction-set-architectures/armv8-architecture.php#

 

This is what should be inside by then. But, this would be another 1000$ device.

 

To be honest, I do need this much power and good performance can be reached with less for this purpose.

post #217 of 364

There is an entire market of expensive device , people do buy altmans tera player, and dx 100 both of which cost an upward of 1000 dollar , complete gaming control only matters so much in if it actually appeals to the masses. i would expect they add in another generation of console emulation if they are going for gaming device , the upward ceiling of the n64 should be broken , you need a certain measure of future proofing your device. The pandora 1 or the spec you envisioned doesn't convince me to spend another 600 on it
 

post #218 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

There is an entire market of expensive device , people do buy altmans tera player, and dx 100 both of which cost an upward of 1000 dollar , complete gaming control only matters so much in if it actually appeals to the masses. i would expect they add in another generation of console emulation if they are going for gaming device , the upward ceiling of the n64 should be broken , you need a certain measure of future proofing your device. The pandora 1 or the spec you envisioned doesn't convince me to spend another 600 on it
 

 

I definitely do not question that people are willing to give money for stuff they like. With your last sentence you probably talk about takato's spec list. Although ARMv8 is great, but honestly I think takato's list is what is realistic. Only the BIG Samsung Apple, AMD, etc. are able to follow ARMs quite large steps. ARM now talks about v8and 64bit on the internet, but Samsung probably knew it a year or a half year before and a device is probably in work. It is not possible to do this from Pandora's perspective.

 

By the time Pandora 2 is out, portable devices will probably be equal to my laptop in computing power from Samsung Apple, etc. What actually IS possible always depends on the perspective.

post #219 of 364
These speculations about the Pandora 2 are in all likelihood inaccurate.

First off, i do not believe it will have a built in modem, or câmera, though it should have the other required cellular technologies in order to run Android properly.

it will in all likelihood dual-boot Android and Linux.

it will have either a 720p or 1920x1080 screen.

the base of the P2 will look very similar to the ICP2.

Battery life will be the same or better than what we have now.

the device will be a bit smaller and sleeker, with a metal and plastic body.

at the time of release (late 2013 / 2014) it will have the most powerfull soc available, and probably 4gb ram.

one year later you will be able to swap out your processor because of the modular design of the P2.
post #220 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeMinx View Post

These speculations about the Pandora 2 are in all likelihood inaccurate.
First off, i do not believe it will have a built in modem, or câmera, though it should have the other required cellular technologies in order to run Android properly.
it will have either a 720p or 1920x1080 screen.
the base of the P2 will look very similar to the ICP2.
Battery life will be the same or better than what we have now.
at the time of release (late 2013 / 2014) it will have the most powerfull soc available, and probably 4gb ram.

this is what important for the pandora to actually compete with the mobile enthusiast market , good look , good battery, good innards

 

I hope this is very much true , although good innards mean nothing if it doesn't up the generation of what we can emulate now, if its still trying to sell the gaming market

post #221 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

this is what important for the pandora to actually compete with the mobile enthusiast market , good look , good battery, good innards

 

I hope this is very much true , although good innards mean nothing if it doesn't up the generation of what we can emulate now, if its still trying to sell the gaming market

 

I have a powerful gaming laptop which is an ASUS ROG G75VW.  It has an 8 core Intel 64-bit processor at ~2.3GHz, but can only just emulate PS2 games such as "Shadow of the Colossus" to a playable level with PCSX2, it's choppy.  Perhaps the emulator does not make good use of the multi-core processor.  Anyway, I suppose it would be very difficult for the Pandora 2 to achieve good PS2 emulation.  It's going to need some fine coding to pull that off.

 

I think FaeMinx has the right idea about the Pandora 2's likely specs.  One of the main developers has said it will use the most powerful SoC available.  I have a hunch they are going to get some help from a major hardware company.

post #222 of 364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswam View Post

 

I have a powerful gaming laptop which is an ASUS ROG G75VW.  It has an 8 core Intel 64-bit processor at ~2.3GHz, but can only just emulate PS2 games such as "Shadow of the Colossus" to a playable level with PCSX2, it's choppy.  Perhaps the emulator does not make good use of the multi-core processor.  Anyway, I suppose it would be very difficult for the Pandora 2 to achieve good PS2 emulation.  It's going to need some fine coding to pull that off.

 

I think FaeMinx has the right idea about the Pandora 2's likely specs.  One of the main developers has said it will use the most powerful SoC available.  I have a hunch they are going to get some help from a major hardware company.

A PS2 emulator can't take advantage of multiple cores because it's not possible to split the audio/video threads of the CPU (like Dolphin for GC does). 

 

Another thing, your CPU core clock is too low. You need one high clock rating core, not multiple low clock rating cores. Same reason why I said the Pandora 2 would do better with a dual-core CPU as opposed to a quad-core. If SoCs are available when it's made that have a single core clocked really high (like 3 GHz or something) that'd be best, looking purely at emulator performance. Of course, with a 3 GHz processor you'd need some kind of CPU cooler, so probably not gonna happen, nor exist (since I have yet to see a phone with a cooling fan). Additionally, a multicore CPU would be better suited to multitasking. 

 

Dual-core is a good balance between multitasking and emualtors, because then the CPU clock can be high without causing cooling issues and still not severely cripple overclocking.

 

Though I have to admit, it'd be pretty damn cool if the Pandora 2 had a miniature CPU fan. 

post #223 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

A PS2 emulator can't take advantage of multiple cores because it's not possible to split the audio/video threads of the CPU (like Dolphin for GC does). 

 

Another thing, your CPU core clock is too low. You need one high clock rating core, not multiple low clock rating cores. Same reason why I said the Pandora 2 would do better with a dual-core CPU as opposed to a quad-core. If SoCs are available when it's made that have a single core clocked really high (like 3 GHz or something) that'd be best, looking purely at emulator performance. Of course, with a 3 GHz processor you'd need some kind of CPU cooler, so probably not gonna happen, nor exist (since I have yet to see a phone with a cooling fan). Additionally, a multicore CPU would be better suited to multitasking. 

 

Dual-core is a good balance between multitasking and emualtors, because then the CPU clock can be high without causing cooling issues and still not severely cripple overclocking.

 

Though I have to admit, it'd be pretty damn cool if the Pandora 2 had a miniature CPU fan. 

 

Aah, now I get it!

 

Ok, where do you all have that info about the "most powerful" cpu? Source Link please.

post #224 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswam View Post

 

I have a powerful gaming laptop which is an ASUS ROG G75VW.  It has an 8 core Intel 64-bit processor at ~2.3GHz, but can only just emulate PS2 games such as "Shadow of the Colossus" to a playable level with PCSX2, it's choppy.  Perhaps the emulator does not make good use of the multi-core processor.  Anyway, I suppose it would be very difficult for the Pandora 2 to achieve good PS2 emulation.  It's going to need some fine coding to pull that off.

 

I think FaeMinx has the right idea about the Pandora 2's likely specs.  One of the main developers has said it will use the most powerful SoC available.  I have a hunch they are going to get some help from a major hardware company.

i have business/everyday laptop that is the  Vaio SB, it came with 8 core intel 64 bit at  2.8 ghz  or so , and I can emulate PCSX2 with 60 FPS on most games

 

Current PCSX2 have the MTVU hack, that speds up game by splitting the VU1 process to a third core, this implies it need a second core to do normal emulation

post #225 of 364
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

A PS2 emulator can't take advantage of multiple cores because it's not possible to split the audio/video threads of the CPU (like Dolphin for GC does). 

 

Another thing, your CPU core clock is too low. You need one high clock rating core, not multiple low clock rating cores. Same reason why I said the Pandora 2 would do better with a dual-core CPU as opposed to a quad-core. If SoCs are available when it's made that have a single core clocked really high (like 3 GHz or something) that'd be best, looking purely at emulator performance. Of course, with a 3 GHz processor you'd need some kind of CPU cooler, so probably not gonna happen, nor exist (since I have yet to see a phone with a cooling fan). Additionally, a multicore CPU would be better suited to multitasking. 

 

Dual-core is a good balance between multitasking and emualtors, because then the CPU clock can be high without causing cooling issues and still not severely cripple overclocking.

 

Though I have to admit, it'd be pretty damn cool if the Pandora 2 had a miniature CPU fan. 

 

Aah, now I get it!

 

Ok, where do you all have that info about the "most powerful" cpu? Source Link please.

I don't have a source link, this is common sense (at least for someone who's in IT school). 

 

Think about it. Multiple cores running alongside each other is going to generate a LOT more heat than just one running at the same speed. The more heat a CPU generates the less you can overclock it. As CPU cores get more advanced core temperature usually goes down, which allows for higher clock ratings. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?