Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player - Page 41

post #601 of 1775

Somebody may have mentioned already but it reminds me of the old iRiver players, like the T-60, with its toblerone shaped body.

post #602 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascogarcia View Post
 

 

Much better than the yellow prototype.


It's still fugly to me. Even Rio came up with better looking players back in the day.

 

I know its all about the sound but me for I need design to, not to show off to my friends, but for me to personally admire it and say 'man, this is one slick player in my hand'

post #603 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post
 


It's still fugly to me. Even Rio came up with better looking players back in the day.

 

I know its all about the sound but me for I need design to, not to show off to my friends, but for me to personally admire it and say 'man, this is one slick player in my hand'

 

Agreed. Plus it doesn't appear to be exactly a pocket friendly shape.  Oh well, we'll see......

post #604 of 1775

New video "Unsuspecting Teens Try Pono."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music/posts/799662?ref=email

One of the kids takes off her headphones and you can hear 'After the Gold Rush' playing. I would pay a decent percentage of $300 to get that album well transferred to high resolution. 

post #605 of 1775

Holy crap, all these people commenting that it sounds like listening to vinyl. I'm so fighting myself from pulling the trigger

post #606 of 1775
The question is would teens nowadays listen/have heard vinyls? Quite suspicious...
post #607 of 1775

I bet they visited a vinyl club to show off the Pono.

post #608 of 1775

Maybe, but I'm with Levanter, I'm suspicious also. Still, if it really did sound like vinyl I'd have a player to kick back and enjoy for the next decade lol

Well, maybe until the Pono 2 or 3 came out

post #609 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Holy crap, all these people commenting that it sounds like listening to vinyl. I'm so fighting myself from pulling the trigger

 



They must be injecting clicks and pops - or maybe just a reverse RIAA EQ circuit followed by a normal RIAA circuit. I don't think they can simulate the effect of improper VTA, cantilever/tone arm interactions, or inner groove distortion.
post #610 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorris View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post
 

Holy crap, all these people commenting that it sounds like listening to vinyl. I'm so fighting myself from pulling the trigger

 



They must be injecting clicks and pops - or maybe just a reverse RIAA EQ circuit followed by a normal RIAA circuit. I don't think they can simulate the effect of improper VTA, cantilever/tone arm interactions, or inner groove distortion.


You do realize that vinyl will always have that sound that enough high end gear will try to emulate, pops and clicks be damned

post #611 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post

The question is would teens nowadays listen/have heard vinyls? Quite suspicious...


Not at all suspicious - lots of new artists/indie bands release new albums on vinyl these days.

post #612 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post


Not at all suspicious - lots of new artists/indie bands release new albums on vinyl these days.

you're not getting what I'm saying. I meant would most teens nowadays listen to vinyl when most of them are using ipods and phones?
post #613 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post


you're not getting what I'm saying. I meant would most teens nowadays listen to vinyl when most of them are using ipods and phones?

 

It's hard to get what you're saying if you don't say what you mean.

post #614 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

It's hard to get what you're saying if you don't say what you mean.

I was clear in what I said, it seems only you didn't get what I mean lol
post #615 of 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post
 

Here we go!

 

 

So will there be 24/192 Grateful Dead releases? Seems funny given how over the years they encouraged their fans to trade tapes, record their concerts, etc. I had a copy of Europe '72 back in the day given to me on cassette, who knows how many generations removed from the original recording it was? lol.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player