or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player - Page 21

post #301 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLee89 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpower View Post

 
Only slightly off topic, but do you know of any sites that review new releases for their mastering. Maybe a list of "mastering critic recommended" new releases?
Quoting to bump. Now that would be the most useful thing ever for audiophile initiates such as myself.
The only thing I can think of is the dynamic range database. But even with that, not much is said about the albums.
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

Because it was mentioned earlier:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/49035
post #302 of 4604

i'm hoping for a great UI.

SQ is the most important thing for sure but on the go UI is as important as SQ for me.

post #303 of 4604

Finally, a DAP to unleash the magic lurking deep inside my Beats. :blink:

 

 

 

Subscribed!

post #304 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant187 View Post
 

i'm hoping for a great UI.

SQ is the most important thing for sure but on the go UI is as important as SQ for me.

Agree 100%. UI is the ONLY reason I still have any i-devices. :confused_face:

post #305 of 4604

Unless it's completely unusable, I can adapt to even a terrible user interface.   Sound quality is a constant.   If it doesn't sound good enough to begin with, it will never improve. 

post #306 of 4604

Interesting video!

 

post #307 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


The only thing I can think of is the dynamic range database. But even with that, not much is said about the albums.
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

Because it was mentioned earlier:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/49035

 

Ahahaha. Their little forum has a sub-forum just to discuss how much Californacation sucks.

 

The whole site is a great resource and the forum has loads of album suggestions.

 

Thanks a bunch for this.

post #308 of 4604

Just posted answers to some commonly asked questions:  Click here

post #309 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallekutta View Post
 

Interesting video!

 

 

Yea and I agree except......there ARE players that deliver what Pono is attempting to. I am loading one right now. It costs almost 5 x the amount is the catch.

I would like him to address some of the excellent DAPs/AMPs available today. You can get a good setup for about double the $400.  As someone said earlier in the thread, the amp and how they integrate the Sabre DAC is going to be the key.  And of course no 128 (or lower even) MP3s.....to listen to.

post #310 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post
 

Just posted answers to some commonly asked questions:  Click here

 

No mention of whether or not the PonoMusic Store albums will be better mastered than their CD versions, I see...

post #311 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
 

 

No mention of whether or not the PonoMusic Store albums will be better mastered than their CD versions, I see...

 

 

Sadly I don't think Ponomusic will have some kind of exclusive access to digital masters HDTracks don't already have... Ponomusic will sell what they get from the music companies, it's the same with HDTracks. But I'm happy that at least Neil's music will be in fantastic quality!

post #312 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallekutta View Post
 

 

Sadly I don't think Ponomusic will have some kind of exclusive access to digital masters HDTracks don't already have... Ponomusic will sell what they get from the music companies, it's the same with HDTracks. But I'm happy that at least Neil's music will be in fantastic quality!

Been thinking the same thing… The fact that all these labels are supposedly already on board says to me that they're getting the same ol' stuff everyone else does…

post #313 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmap View Post

Some of the best information available currently is in the FAQ on the Pono kickstarter page.  For example:



...The PonoPlayer is designed to play PonoMusic with stunning clarity. However, the player can play almost any kind of music track including FLAC, ALAC, mp3, WAV, AIFF, AAC (unprotected).  What this really means is the PonoPlayer can play all your digital music, and all of it will sound great.




This is the second time you say this.
post #314 of 4604

LOL the video on the Kickstarter page is ridiculous.  The one with all the famous musicians stepping out of a car having just had a religious music experience, going 'that's the best sound I've EVER heard'.  With no reference to what they were listening to, or what the PONO stuff was being compared to.

 

It's all very silly but there's part of me that wants to believe.  I can't help it!  

post #315 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpower View Post

This is such a good post. If you still do get it you're probably a lost cause.
I actually just saw this too:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/becks-imorning-phasei-2496-download-worth-it

Sadface. I really hope Neil addresses the mastering quality in his campaign sometime in the near future. This so-called high-resolution stuff ain't going to cut it, and as Tyll hinted, this campaign is focusing on high-resolution formats.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player