Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player - Page 72

post #1066 of 2514

Those of you who feel strongly about being defrauded, I suggest you sue.  Let the court decide if you have a case or not.  I suspect, knowing how these things work in the real world, that you will be tossed out of court.  The fact that an up-sample is being sold rather than a high-res sample of an analog original does not constitute fraud unless it is advertised as a high-res sample of the analog original.  Otherwise, as in all things in the commercial world, it's buyer beware.  Your righteous outrage is, most likely, moot.

post #1067 of 2514


I don't normally do this, but I have to take issue with you using 'Never Mind the Bollocks' to prove your point. This was and is, IMO, a landmark album that still holds it's own today. As someone who listened to it and Relayer at the time, I knew what well crafted and mastered music could and should sound like, however, that doesn't take away from the fact that I want to hear 'Nevermind...." at the best possible resolution despite it's rough edges. For me the whole point of this hobby/way of life is to be able to listen to someone's musical creativity and energy as they intended it to be heard, I want to feel that I am in the studio listening to the playback monitors in the booth. The power of the music is not determined by it's genre, but it can be compromised by it's method of playback.

post #1068 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ableza View Post
 

Those of you who feel strongly about being defrauded, I suggest you sue.  Let the court decide if you have a case or not.  I suspect, knowing how these things work in the real world, that you will be tossed out of court.  The fact that an up-sample is being sold rather than a high-res sample of an analog original does not constitute fraud unless it is advertised as a high-res sample of the analog original.  Otherwise, as in all things in the commercial world, it's buyer beware.  Your righteous outrage is, most likely, moot.

pomp·ous

adjective \ˈpäm-pəs\

: having or showing the attitude of people who speak and behave in a very formal and serious way because they believe that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people

post #1069 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaudio View Post
 

pomp·ous

adjective \ˈpäm-pəs\

: having or showing the attitude of people who speak and behave in a very formal and serious way because they believe that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people

Hey, if the shoe fits, go ahead and wear it!    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with being "pompous" as you put it when you are right.  :D 


Edited by Ableza - 8/2/14 at 12:25pm
post #1070 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhawk22 View Post

A great article and review in Sound and Vision magazine by a writer/audiophile who had a private listening session with the pono device.
http://s975.photobucket.com/user/bis_cuit/media/PAGE1.jpg.html

I have not followed your link yet so I do not know if its + or - about Pono.  I have a question though, I am not aware that there is a final or close version of the player. IF that is true then how can THE Pono be reviewed?

post #1071 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

I have not followed your link yet so I do not know if its + or - about Pono.  I have a question though, I am not aware that there is a final or close version of the player. IF that is true then how can THE Pono be reviewed?

With the units shipping in Oct., and the rash of recent exclusive listening sessions, I'm guessing this is pretty close to the final version of the device that everyone is getting a listen to. In fact in a recent reply to a post on the kick starter site, I remember someone replying that they have built up a bunch of final builds for listening and testing.
post #1072 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeskis View Post

They did mention that they would be vetting the recordings submitted by the record companies and rejecting up sampled tracks.

I'm hopeful... If it starts to look any better I'm going to die inside for not getting in on the kickstarter.

 

 

 

 

from: http://www.ponomusic.com/#faq :

 


HOW MUCH PONOMUSIC WILL BE AVAILABLE?

PonoMusic is supported by all major labels and their growing catalogues of high quality digital music. We are also working with independent labels across all genres to bring a diverse selection of music to the PonoMusic.com Store.  The music industry is excited about making the amazing music they’ve curated conveniently available to music lovers everywhere in its highest available quality.

 


 

So, that looks pretty definitive, in terms of PONO licensing the 'Hi-Res' offerings of every man and his dog.

 

So, let's hope you're correct that Neil and his team are 'vetting' every single album associated with the PONO ecosystem.

 

That'll be several hundred (maybe several thousand) albums...

post #1073 of 2514
From the July 1st update:
Over the past six weeks we’ve built over 100 PonoPlayers in the US and in China that incorporate the Ayre audio design.
post #1074 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhawk22 View Post

From the July 1st update:
Over the past six weeks we’ve built over 100 PonoPlayers in the US and in China that incorporate the Ayre audio design.

Cool !

post #1075 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ableza View Post
 

Those of you who feel strongly about being defrauded, I suggest you sue.  Let the court decide if you have a case or not.  I suspect, knowing how these things work in the real world, that you will be tossed out of court.  The fact that an up-sample is being sold rather than a high-res sample of an analog original does not constitute fraud unless it is advertised as a high-res sample of the analog original.  Otherwise, as in all things in the commercial world, it's buyer beware.  Your righteous outrage is, most likely, moot.

 

I'm not sure exactly why - perhaps ties to the recording industry or Wall St - but you seem to have an agenda here. Implying that those of us who feel aggrieved as consumers who are being sold a donkey masquerading as a thoroughbred racehorse are basically naive idiots is as condescending as your earlier posts. You've gone from being an expert on capitalism to an expert on the legal system across a dozen countries - I'm entitled to said righteous outrage regardless of how it's viewed by your imaginary court of law. 

post #1076 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post
 

 

I'm not sure exactly why - perhaps ties to the recording industry or Wall St - but you seem to have an agenda here. Implying that those of us who feel aggrieved as consumers who are being sold a donkey masquerading as a thoroughbred racehorse are basically naive idiots is as condescending as your earlier posts. You've gone from being an expert on capitalism to an expert on the legal system across a dozen countries - I'm entitled to said righteous outrage regardless of how it's viewed by your imaginary court of law. 

Of course.  You have the right to feel however you think is warranted.  And I have the right to point out how foolish I think it is.  Whatever floats your boat!  But the fact that I do know a lot about capitalism, and about the law (especially intellectual property law in America, which is part of my professional specialty) makes me think my opinion is valid. 

post #1077 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ableza View Post
 

.... I do know a lot about capitalism, and about the law (especially intellectual property law in America, which is part of my professional specialty)....

 

 

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm not having a dig at you, personally.

 

 

But I do find it a bit ironic, that you, as a self-stated 'specialist' in US intellectual property law, apparently do not notice the... well, irony... that the US is probably the most litigious society / country on planet earth!

 

 

 

As someone who lives in the UK, I am continually disgusted at the way the rampant litigiousness of the USA is ever-increasingly permeating UK society.

 

 

And when (for example) one observes the nauseating anti-competitive patent law suits perpetrated by a certain well-known DAP/Computer/Cellphone-making i-company against Samsung, one finds ample illustration of the fact that lawyers in 'The Land of the (supposedly) Free' have no compunction about suing anything they can turn their attention to.

 

Anyone in the USA retailing supposedly-Hi-Res files, that are really only upsampled from Redbook masters, had better hope they don't get hit with a class-action lawsuit.

post #1078 of 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ableza View Post

Of course.  You have the right to feel however you think is warranted.  And I have the right to point out how foolish I think it is.  Whatever floats your boat!  But the fact that I do know a lot about capitalism, and about the law (especially intellectual property law in America, which is part of my professional specialty) makes me think my opinion is valid. 

Have a look through your comments in this thread. Intentionally confrontational, dismissive, and rude are ways I'd describe the tone. I'm not going to get in to who is correct as to the content of the arguments but I'd imagine someone who thinks themself superior and intelligent would be capable of being self aware and engaging in polite discourse, even if this is the internet. If it was just a result of a bad day then I hope you're having a much better weekend.
post #1079 of 2514

Just googled and found the following:

 

 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music/comments?cursor=6840379&direction=asc

 

(quoted, by a commenter on the Kickstarter site, to have apparently been said in the May 28th official PONO Update):

 

Quote:
Last but not least, we are excited to announce that Bruce Botnick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Botnick) has joined the PonoMusic leadership team. He is a legendary audio engineer and record producer known for his work with the Doors, Love, Buffalo Springfield, the Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, and many other artists. ..... Bruce is responsible for establishing our content strategy and ensuring that we provide you the highest quality version of each recording sold in our music store.

 

 

 

(Note: Bold emphasis added by me)

post #1080 of 2514

This is not PONO-specific, but it is nonetheless relevant to the discussion:

 

http://www.whathifi.com/news/new-formal-definition-high-resolution-audio-agreed

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player