Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best $1000+ amp for Audeze LCD2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best $1000+ amp for Audeze LCD2 - Page 3

post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

 

I agree it can be frustrating with all the upgrades they do. Maybe they could restrict an upgrade to 6 month periods and then release an updated product with a number of upgrades included instead of one at a time.

 

However it does not mean what you already have suddenly does not sound as good. I have had conversation with Kingwa about the NFB-7 updates. The NFB7.1 is only a a very minor upgrade and he did not reccommend I purchase the board ($150) and have it installed. The NFB7.32 seems a bigger upgrade but still not a massive one.

The Master-7 would interest me as well, especially when their website states that its more 'dynamic & detailed' than any other Audio-gd DAC. The NFB-7 is already extremely detailed and dynamic so to be an improvment would be amazing. Unfortunately finances are needed in other areas at the moment & I really don't think I have the room for another compoment the size of the Master-7 especially as I am interested in the forthcoming Schiit statement amp which is likely to be quite big as well.

Greetings nigeljames,

 

i am kinda new here but i have been waiting for some info about the new NFB 7.32, i know that is a good DAC but i would like if someone could tell me which could be a better contender as i am looking for a new DAC for my system (used to have DACMAGIC PLUS)... i am between Calyx DAC 24/192 or NFB 7.32 to use mainly with USB input...the better performer in USB input...

 

Any thoughts on this??

 

Best regards

 

Miki

post #32 of 59

     Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

Why anyone would recommend the Dark Star for the LCD's I do not know.

 

Plenty of alternatives give much better SQ for a lot less cost (according to other peoples reviews/opinions not mine directly)

 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

 

The OP stated that he want's an amp for his LCD2's, no mention of any other headphones. So an amp for many headphones is not, at this time, required.

 

Personally my Master-6 sounds superb with HE'6,LCD2.2's and T1's and I would put it up against the DS anytime even if they were the same cost. In fact if the Master-6 had casework that costs as much as the Dark Star's and was made in US/EU then it would probably cost more than the DS

 

From your two posts, my quesiton for you is have you heard the DarkStar? If you have then disregard my next comment but why would you say you "would put it up against the DS anytime" when you "potentially" have not heard it?

 

Would that same comment apply to other amps like the LiquidFire, DNA Stratus, etc? Or do you just have beef against the maker's amp designs?

post #33 of 59
OP, I seriously think you should consider the O2 + ODAC combo. Don't let the low price fool you. biggrin.gif
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing4me View Post

OP, I seriously think you should consider the O2 + ODAC combo. Don't let the low price fool you. biggrin.gif

 

I think its a good entry level combo. Probably op is looking to release the Audez'e full potential. 

post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubar View Post

     Quote:

 

     Quote:

 

From your two posts, my quesiton for you is have you heard the DarkStar? If you have then disregard my next comment but why would you say you "would put it up against the DS anytime" when you "potentially" have not heard it?

 

Would that same comment apply to other amps like the LiquidFire, DNA Stratus, etc? Or do you just have beef against the maker's amp designs?

 

 

Why would he have to hear any other amp if he has faith in his amps sound quality?  Nowhere did he say his amp sound better than the Dark Star - He just said he'll put it up against it and let the chips fall as they may.

post #36 of 59

     Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

Why anyone would recommend the Dark Star for the LCD's I do not know.

 

Plenty of alternatives give much better SQ for a lot less cost (according to other peoples reviews/opinions not mine directly)

 

Let me quote again.

 

There's no reason for him to make the comment of putting the Master-6 "against the DS anytime even if they were the same cost". That is a pretty signifcant comment don't you think?

 

He could have gotten the same point across simply by saying "Master-6 sounds superb with HE'6,LCD2.2's and T1's" and making the recommendation to the OP to look into it.

post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwess View Post

I think its a good entry level combo. Probably op is looking to release the Audez'e full potential. 
The O2 + ODAC drives the LCD-2 to it's full potential... rather transparently and accurately. Or are you talking about getting a certain sound experience out of them?

Driving and getting a certain experience are quite different.
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubar View Post

     Quote:

 

Let me quote again.

 

There's no reason for him to make the comment of putting the Master-6 "against the DS anytime even if they were the same cost". That is a pretty signifcant comment don't you think?

 

He could have gotten the same point across simply by saying "Master-6 sounds superb with HE'6,LCD2.2's and T1's" and making the recommendation to the OP to look into it.

 

 

   Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

Why anyone would recommend the Dark Star for the LCD's I do not know.

 

Plenty of alternatives give much better SQ for a lot less cost (according to other peoples reviews/opinions not mine directly)

 

 

Yes I C,

 

To make that statement he would have to have heard it.  He may have - we don't know yet.

 

post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikicasellas View Post

Greetings nigeljames,

 

i am kinda new here but i have been waiting for some info about the new NFB 7.32, i know that is a good DAC but i would like if someone could tell me which could be a better contender as i am looking for a new DAC for my system (used to have DACMAGIC PLUS)... i am between Calyx DAC 24/192 or NFB 7.32 to use mainly with USB input...the better performer in USB input...

 

Any thoughts on this??

 

Best regards

 

Miki

 

Hi Mikicasellas, I have not heard the Calyx Dac so can't give any comparison. I have read a couple of times of people preferring the Audio-gd Ref 1/7 to the Calyx and the NFB7 is at the same level as the Ref 7 but you may prefer the Calyx, who knows. Also I don't use USB.

If you want any specific info on the NFB-7 then please PM me as I don't want to derail this thread.

post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubar View Post

     Quote:

 

Let me quote again.

 

There's no reason for him to make the comment of putting the Master-6 "against the DS anytime even if they were the same cost". That is a pretty signifcant comment don't you think?

 

He could have gotten the same point across simply by saying "Master-6 sounds superb with HE'6,LCD2.2's and T1's" and making the recommendation to the OP to look into it.

 

I want to make it clear that I have not heard the Dark Star and have not slated the SQ of the Dark Star because having not heard it I am not qualified to do so.

However there are 2 points I want to make.

 

1. A number of people have compared the DS to other amps in and around its price point including Skylab in his DS review. The general consensus seems to be that there are cheaper and/or better alternatives to the DS when driving other headphones than the HE6. I also have read a number of critisms of the DS design but I am no EE so won't comment on them.

 

2. The DS is not a $3500 amp. Yes thats right.  Its a $1750 amp in a $1750 case. Therefore it should be compared to other amps in the $1750 price range. Now it may perform at a higher level than that and that's perfectly possible but my point of the Master-6 being comparable to the DS and other amps in that price range is that the Master-6 probably has a relatively cheap case work and being built in China has far lower labour charge.

If the Master-6 was built in US or EU it would almost certainly cost $3000, so why would it not be competitive to the DS,LF,Stratus etc.

 

If you look at the parts inside the DS and Master-6 and equalize the labour rates for building the amps then,disregarding the casework, the Master-6 probably cost more to make.

I do consider the Master-6 as a $3000 amp with regards SQ. The Master-6 is also significantly better than the Audio-gd Phoenix and Skylab has rated the Phoenix higher than many more expensive SS amps.


Edited by nigeljames - 10/2/12 at 4:50am
post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Why would he have to hear any other amp if he has faith in his amps sound quality?  Nowhere did he say his amp sound better than the Dark Star - He just said he'll put it up against it and let the chips fall as they may.

 

Exactly. Thanks.

 

As previously stated I consider the Master-6 a $3000 amp because it would cost around that figure if made in US/EU.

So I would put it up against any amp in the $3000 price range. It might not be the best, hell i might not even prefer it BUT I fully expect it to be competitive to other amps in that price range.


Edited by nigeljames - 10/2/12 at 4:59am
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing4me View Post

The O2 + ODAC drives the LCD-2 to it's full potential... rather transparently and accurately. Or are you talking about getting a certain sound experience out of them?
Driving and getting a certain experience are quite different.

Sigh....

post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

 

I want to make it clear that I have not heard the Dark Star and have not slated the SQ of the Dark Star because having not heard it I am not qualified to do so.

However there are 2 points I want to make.

 

1. A number of people have compared the DS to other amps in and around its price point including Skylab in his DS review. The general consensus seems to be that there are cheaper and/or better alternatives to the DS when driving other headphones than the HE6. I also have read a number of critisms of the DS design but I am no EE so won't comment on them.

 

2. The DS is not a $3500 amp. Yes thats right.  Its a $1750 amp in a $1750 case. Therefore it should be compared to other amps in the $1750 price range. Now it may perform at a higher level than that and that's perfectly possible but my point of the Master-6 being comparable to the DS and other amps in that price range is that the Master-6 probably has a relatively cheap case work and being built in China has far lower labour charge.

If the Master-6 was built in US or EU it would almost certainly cost $3000, so why would it not be competitive to the DS,LF,Stratus etc.

 

If you look at the parts inside the DS and Master-6 and equalize the labour rates for building the amps then,disregarding the casework, the Master-6 probably cost more to make.

I do consider the Master-6 as a $3000 amp with regards SQ. The Master-6 is also significantly better than the Audio-gd Phoenix and Skylab has rated the Phoenix higher than many more expensive SS amps.

Sorry, you should have kept quiet. You have not heard the amp so don't insinuate that your amp is probably better. Your ears are not Skylabs.

When you've heard the damn amp, then you can go ahead and say something, anything, maybe then, it'll be meaningful.

post #44 of 59
Thread Starter 

I'd prefer comments on amps that you have listened to with the Audeze LCD2 and LCD3s. Lets also keep this a none conflicting thread. Thanks tongue.gif

post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Sorry, you should have kept quiet. You have not heard the amp so don't insinuate that your amp is probably better. Your ears are not Skylabs.

When you've heard the damn amp, then you can go ahead and say something, anything, maybe then, it'll be meaningful.

 

Be careful

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best $1000+ amp for Audeze LCD2