Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 228

post #3406 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by averageaudio View Post
 

Yeah I can understand how. lol. Do you think the amp lacks nuances with the lcd, or the headphone.

Both actually. 

post #3407 of 3650

FWIW I found Emotiva paired the best with LCD-2 over HE-500 and LCD-3.

post #3408 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

FWIW I found Emotiva paired the best with LCD-2 over HE-500 and LCD-3.
How would you characterize the LCD and Emo's sound?
post #3409 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by averageaudio View Post


How would you characterize the LCD and Emo's sound?

 

LCD-2 - most optimal combination. Fun energetic treble, not harsh to my ears. Better mids, deeper bass on this over HE-500. This also hits harder than LCD-3.

 

LCD-3 - harsh treble was the most annoying thing. LCD-3 is better sounding than LCD-2 technically, although the LCD-3 was a much harder headphone to get it sound perfect, whereas LCD-2 played well on most amps as long as they had power. I've only liked this with few amps and they are all priced over $2000

 

If you're considering the Emotiva, I'd personally go with the LCD-2 over the HE-500 and LCD-3. It will be a better combination than the other two.

post #3410 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

 

LCD-2 - most optimal combination. Fun energetic treble, not harsh to my ears. Better mids, deeper bass on this over HE-500. This also hits harder than LCD-3.

 

 

I agree 100% with the bolded but regarding the bass of LCD2/LCD3 vs HE500 on Emo, I found the the exact opposite.  At last year CA meet, I brought my Emo and a few of us compared LCD2/3 vs HE500 using a few tracks with tons of bass/sub-bass.  We were all surprised that the HE500 hit harder and just as low.  The only thing was that the HE500 was not as tight.  I personally was expecting the bass of LCD2/3 to be better than HE500.  Unit variation?

post #3411 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

I agree 100% with the bolded but regarding the bass of LCD2/LCD3 vs HE500 on Emo, I found the the exact opposite.  At last year CA meet, I brought my Emo and a few of us compared LCD2/3 vs HE500 using a few tracks with tons of bass/sub-bass.  We were all surprised that the HE500 hit harder and just as low.  The only thing was that the HE500 was not as tight.  I personally was expecting the bass of LCD2/3 to be better than HE500.  Unit variation?

Very possible, the LCD 2 has seen lots of unit variation over its life cycle. Especially the sub bass region.
post #3412 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by averageaudio View Post


Very possible, the LCD 2 has seen lots of unit variation over its life cycle. Especially the sub bass region.

Yeah,  bass on LCD2 is no doubt tighter and less decay than HE500.  Depending on music genre and personal preference, both types of bass presentation have their places.

post #3413 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

Yeah,  bass on LCD2 is no doubt tighter and less decay than HE500.  Depending on music genre and personal preference, both types of bass presentation have their places.
Personally, I also found that the LCD has just a bit more "quantity" of bass. Given, I am running it off of the STX, so YMMV.
post #3414 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by averageaudio View Post


Personally, I also found that the LCD has just a bit more "quantity" of bass. Given, I am running it off of the STX, so YMMV.

Wait wait, you got LCD?  When?

post #3415 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

Wait wait, you got LCD?  When?
Yesterday smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Not me, averageaudio did. LCD2.3 to be exact :P
Edited by Nimzerz - 3/29/14 at 5:20pm
post #3416 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

Wait wait, you got LCD?  When?
Yesterday smily_headphones1.gif

Woah, nice!

post #3417 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

I agree 100% with the bolded but regarding the bass of LCD2/LCD3 vs HE500 on Emo, I found the the exact opposite.  At last year CA meet, I brought my Emo and a few of us compared LCD2/3 vs HE500 using a few tracks with tons of bass/sub-bass.  We were all surprised that the HE500 hit harder and just as low.  The only thing was that the HE500 was not as tight.  I personally was expecting the bass of LCD2/3 to be better than HE500.  Unit variation?

 

No surprise for me either. I agree. The HE-500 hits fatter and harder than LCD-2 and LCD-3 while not as tight as them. Although extension wise, Audezes go lower. Emo + HE-500 = phat (very nice)

 

On another note, I came back from the Toronto meet and the HD800 just wiped the floor completely over the Hifimans and Audeze for electronic, hip hop and pop. Far more transparent and livelier sounding on my Source. LCD-3 wasn't in the same league, even when driven off high end Luxman and McIntosh amps. The HD800 was the closest bass to a speaker. I was blasting away EDM and deep house. The bass on the HD800 was that damn good. It didn't rumble a lot in sub bass, but it punched harder in the right places for electronic. The mids on the HD800 destroyed the LCD-3s. The treble was ridiculously good without any harshness or fatigue. Soundstage was so natural. I was expecting something really wide, but no, it seemed very natural and representative of how it should sound in real life.

 

LOL all I did was listen to bunch of headphones on my DM Source. The Source drove a lot of them quite well. Although the HD800 was in another league.

 

The HE-400 and HE-6 seemed poor in comparison. There was no Hifiman HE-500 so I couldn't try them again, but if the new HE-560 is quite similar to HE-500, I don't think I am going to bother with them at all. The comfort and the sound of HD800 is just perfect. People always kept saying that the HD800 isn't made for electronic or hip hop. I STRONGLY disagree. I don't know if it was a synergy thing with the DM Source, but it was beautiful.

 

I tried a bunch of Beyers, Hifiman, Audeze, AKG, Audio Technica - but kept coming back to HD800. The comfort on these OMG.

 

I initially went for Fostex, but they ended up not being there, so saw a HD800 and said why not. So happy I tried. It's either going to be Fostex or HD800. Maybe both. Although I think the HE-560 might be officially out of consideration.

post #3418 of 3650

^ if you have the right synergy behind the HD800, you will get sublime sound.  When people say HD800 is not for EDM and hiphop, I believe it's more of stating their personal preference than truly referring to HD800's capability to reproduce the source faithfully.  I've been comparing HD800 vs HE500 on countless of my favorite tracks ranging from classical, rock, pop, instrumentals, vocal, jazz....You are absolutely correct in your assessment of the HD800.

post #3419 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

^ if you have the right synergy behind the HD800, you will get sublime sound.  When people say HD800 is not for EDM and hiphop, I believe it's more of stating their personal preference than truly referring to HD800's capability to reproduce the source faithfully.  I've been comparing HD800 vs HE500 on countless of my favorite tracks ranging from classical, rock, pop, instrumentals, vocal, jazz....You are absolutely correct in your assessment of the HD800.

Yea, it's the best voicing I've heard to date on a headphone by a wide margin. BTW how's the stock cable? Also, I remember reading that the HD800 treble was adjusted over the years. Any truth to that?

post #3420 of 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

Yea, it's the best voicing I've heard to date on a headphone by a wide margin. BTW how's the stock cable? Also, I remember reading that the HD800 treble was adjusted over the years. Any truth to that?

I am using stock cable and find it just fine.  Though, it's fair to clearly state that I am not a cable believer.  Later on, when I have a chance to try out other cables, my belief might change.  The treble stays the same IME within the last couple years.  Before that, I am not sure.  Before i bought mine, I use a friend's HD800 for about 2, 3 weeks.  His is a little older.  When I got mine, I thought mine was not as bright as his.  Sonido thought the same thing about his HD800.  Then, I got the friend's HD800 back to compare directly.  The 2 were identical.  :)

Bias affects your hearing so much just like other placebo effects.  I personally find that between HE500 and HD800, my preferences are fully covered for all music genres to which I listen.

I am a happy man as far as HPs. :p

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project