or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 226

post #3376 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post
 

Hey guys, how do the LCD2s pair with the emotiva?

still sounds like LCD2.  :p  The Emo didn't make or break the LCD2 in anyway but I just didn't like it.

post #3377 of 3790
Would the smaller Topping amps be a good match for the LCD-2? Looking at the TP30, TP22 etc.

Also can anyone comment on the quality of the DACs in the Topping amps?
Edited by bassboysam - 3/22/14 at 9:01pm
post #3378 of 3790

If you can find one, the (now discontinued) Nuforce Icon2 offers better sound (both amp and dac) than the couple Topping offerings that I've heard, and in a slightly smaller casing as well. 

 

The Topping dacs are ok. Nothing special, although decent value considering they're all combined in one unit. They seem to make slight revisions to all their models each year though, so it's possible things have changed.

post #3379 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Which one has the better noise floor?

The topping has a better noise floor 

post #3380 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post
 

The topping has a better noise floor 

This I agree with you.  I can tell when Emo clicks into operating mode but can't with Topping.

post #3381 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post
 

The topping has a better noise floor 

 

How old is your TP60? I was just checking the website and apparently there has been a 2014 update to it.

post #3382 of 3790
Could anyone compare the fiio a1 to the tp60/30?
post #3383 of 3790

I never got a chance to compare them directly, but I would say the Toppings are a step up from the Fiio a1 (which is also discontinued, so harder to find but usually pretty cheap when you do).

 

The FiiO case is mostly empty space though. Should be easy to mod up with extra stuff inside or maybe shove it into a smaller case.

post #3384 of 3790
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

How old is your TP60? I was just checking the website and apparently there has been a 2014 update to it.
Mine was bought about November last year
post #3385 of 3790
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

This I agree with you.  I can tell when Emo clicks into operating mode but can't with Topping.
i currently have them side by side so it's a simple test. I might use the mini-x to power some speakers in my garage. How are they as speaker amps?
post #3386 of 3790

The emo tend to easily degrade in sound quality at higher volume levels IMO. The treble becomes harsh and it doesn't resolve too well (imaging and stuff). Or it might just be my speakers..

post #3387 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

The emo tend to easily degrade in sound quality at higher volume levels IMO. The treble becomes harsh and it doesn't resolve too well (imaging and stuff). Or it might just be my speakers..


Prob your speakers...cause the emo didn't seem to clip or anything at the extreme high volume on my cousins magnepans. At least, not too much to be easily noticeable.

post #3388 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post

I
i currently have them side by side so it's a simple test. I might use the mini-x to power some speakers in my garage. How are they as speaker amps?

I use my reference monitors for near field.  I don't use Emo as speaker amp but did hook it up to my Klipsch speakers which are pretty sensitive.  The Emo was actually very quite.  The noise floor is only obvious on HE500 for me.  As far as SQ, nothing spectacular.  IMO, the EMO and HE500 just happens to be a good pairing.  Besides that, the emo is pretty ordinary.  Btw, if you can hear such high noise floor on your speakers from the Emo, that sounds strange.  Your unit?


Edited by koiloco - 3/23/14 at 9:31pm
post #3389 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

 
The emo tend to easily degrade in sound quality at higher volume levels IMO. The treble becomes harsh and it doesn't resolve too well (imaging and stuff). Or it might just be my speakers..


Prob your speakers...cause the emo didn't seem to clip or anything at the extreme high volume on my cousins magnepans. At least, not too much to be easily noticeable.
No, it doesn't clip or anything. I haven't driven it to clip yet at least. My speakers are 8 ohm 90 dB/watt so they are not that insensitive.
post #3390 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

I use my reference monitors for near field.  I don't use Emo as speaker amp but did hook it up to my Klipsch speakers which are pretty sensitive.  The Emo was actually very quite.  The noise floor is only obvious on HE500 for me.  As far as SQ, nothing spectacular.  IMO, the EMO and HE500 just happens to be a good pairing.  Besides that, the emo is pretty ordinary.  Btw, if you can hear such high noise floor on your speakers from the Emo, that sounds strange.  Your unit?

I haven't hooked up my emo to speakers yet but I have hooked up my TP60 to speakers and its sounds great

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project