or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 213

post #3181 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Only have the Sigmas up running, and generally I prefer the HE's to them, mostly for the more impactful bass and ease of use. Stax can actually be a hard listen because they sound so life-like amd clean, kinda hard to describe. 


I think what you mean is the same reason why I think I don't like magnepans vs traditional speakers

post #3182 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Only have the Sigmas up running, and generally I prefer the HE's to them, mostly for the more impactful bass and ease of use. Stax can actually be a hard listen because they sound so life-like amd clean, kinda hard to describe. 


I think what you mean is the same reason why I think I don't like magnepans vs traditional speakers

Generally speaking, Stax is my wine, HE-500/5le is my beer. That's really a generalization, but I think it is a good desciption of what I mean.

post #3183 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Generally speaking, Stax is my wine, HE-500/5le is my beer. That's really a generalization, but I think it is a good desciption of what I mean.


You just said you were 18 ;) hahah

HE500 is my ganja. Nuff said

post #3184 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Generally speaking, Stax is my wine, HE-500/5le is my beer. That's really a generalization, but I think it is a good desciption of what I mean.

You just said you were 18 ;) hahah

HE500 is my ganja. Nuff said

In Denmark we drink a lot, especially the young generation! I have developed an early taste for good wine, as it resembles the headphone hobby as well.

I'll go to bed now, it's pretty late here..

post #3185 of 3790
Anyone here think I should try the precision fidelity m8 with the he500? Would it sound better than the emo?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4321295411.html

or maybe...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4322220365.html

Also... lol

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/4328494351.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/4320889026.html

Any of these might be good for the HE-500? Or should I just stop looking :P
I'm curious about vintage amps now :3
Edited by Nimzerz - 2/11/14 at 11:57pm
post #3186 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

Anyone here think I should try the precision fidelity m8 with the he500? Would it sound better than the emo?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4321295411.html

or maybe...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/4322220365.html

Also... lol

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/4328494351.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/4320889026.html

Any of these might be good for the HE-500? Or should I just stop looking :P
I'm curious about vintage amps now :3


I really like the look of that Magnavox, it is really old but TUBES. For that price I'd be very tempted. VERY.

Adcom are good amps though I think you would be happy with that, very clean output.

post #3187 of 3790
:)What about in terms of comparison to the emo that I already have? Is it worth the hassle of selling the emo to get one of these? Not to mention imma most likely have to splice my cable at the end :3

Actually, from what it looks like the tube amps grounds are soldered together.

Edit: I messaged the guy and he said that the Magnavox has 10-15wpc output. Not bad
Edited by Nimzerz - 2/12/14 at 7:25am
post #3188 of 3790
So, I just aquired some hfm re262s, theyre 150 ohm, what would happen, if I plugged them into the mini? Massive hiss? Melting iems? sold my e17 and need to get a portable for them, but, if the mini won't ruin them I'd like to try it for kicks...
post #3189 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

So, I just aquired some hfm re262s, theyre 150 ohm, what would happen, if I plugged them into the mini? Massive hiss? Melting iems? sold my e17 and need to get a portable for them, but, if the mini won't ruin them I'd like to try it for kicks...
Are those the same re262s that I saw in the classifieds? biggrin.gif
post #3190 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

So, I just aquired some hfm re262s, theyre 150 ohm, what would happen, if I plugged them into the mini? Massive hiss? Melting iems? sold my e17 and need to get a portable for them, but, if the mini won't ruin them I'd like to try it for kicks...

Well, I'd imagine it would be veeery loud and uncomfortable for your ears if your emo made the same sound as mine do upon switch-on. It is pretty loud with my planars.

post #3191 of 3790
What if I put in a resistor/ and didn't plug in until already on at 0 volume. Also, what resistor would I want to install?
post #3192 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

What if I put in a resistor/ and didn't plug in until already on at 0 volume. Also, what resistor would I want to install?

Dunno.. If in-line you'd want a very high resistance.. Like 1000 ohm or something. And that would of course mess with the sound signature.

post #3193 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

What if I put in a resistor/ and didn't plug in until already on at 0 volume. Also, what resistor would I want to install?


I discuss this in my DIY thread here: LINK

post #3194 of 3790
Cool. I think ill just put in a resistor for the he4 to improve volume knob play, then just buy an amp for the 262
post #3195 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

So, I just aquired some hfm re262s, theyre 150 ohm, what would happen, if I plugged them into the mini? Massive hiss? Melting iems? sold my e17 and need to get a portable for them, but, if the mini won't ruin them I'd like to try it for kicks...

Lots of X-100 Mini users plug their headphones in direct and are happy with the sound quality. Give it a try before you decide to modify it. If you do decide to add resistors ben_r_ used 220 ohm resistors and was very happy with the results.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project