- 5,504 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
I do not own this unit – I had this unit from @fnkcow With Impedance of 320ohm this earbuds need a good amp to show its worth. I use my phone during my first listen to the zen and it sounds...
Cayin C5DAC: A Deadly Challenger in the Portable Market *Please click on the photos for the highest quality. [[SPOILER]] About me & IntroductionI am a student who is a music...
Me: am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I bought these on Geekbuying after a considerable price drop to about $16 USD. Having missed out on the hype for the Piston 2, I decided to pick up the Piston 3 instead. The other bang-for-buck IEM...
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 206post #3076 of 36921/18/14 at 12:09pmI am wondering how to simply lower the gain in the emotiva. That'd be quite neat
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3077 of 36921/18/14 at 12:17pmpost #3078 of 36921/19/14 at 12:36ampost #3079 of 36921/19/14 at 11:38pmpost #3080 of 36921/20/14 at 3:08am
I just hooked my LCD-3 to the mini-X. I cannot get past 7-8 pm on the dial. The mids are more forward now and the bass sounded a bit recessed. Switched to the LCD-XC and while soundstage is slightly reduced, the lower end extends more and a bit more slam.post #3081 of 36921/20/14 at 11:24ampost #3082 of 36921/20/14 at 11:50am
Some initial thoughts (but no surprises here):
-I finally know what headroom means, before I was just imagining.
-Consequently the soundstage also sounds more open.
-Drums sound more organic.
-Instrument layering is impressive in terms of imagining.
Just a few thoughts in my brief time with the emotiva mini + HE500s. I will say that the integrated amp on the DA8 is pretty impressive. Very similar to what the emotiva is doing, just a couple notches down.post #3083 of 36921/20/14 at 6:21pm
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.post #3084 of 36921/20/14 at 6:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.
From my post on the other thread:
"LOL trust me, he's probably just never heard open-back ORTHO headphones :P
Using the emotiva the loudest i'd go would be around 10:00 on vinyl rips and about 8:00-9:00 on most dynamically compressed songs"
Edited by Nimzerz - 1/20/14 at 6:28pmpost #3085 of 36921/20/14 at 7:54pmQuote:
Same. Somewhere between 8-9. Sometimes up to 10-11 on the vinyl rips as well.post #3086 of 36921/20/14 at 8:07pmQuote:
+1. For music from my laptop, I cannot go past 8 for my orthos and my TH 900.post #3087 of 36921/20/14 at 8:21pmpost #3088 of 36921/20/14 at 10:02pm
Been using my PJCCS upgraded Quickie with my Emotiva and HE-500 today. Honestly, it's supposed to sound like crap on paper due to the crappy 1/2.5 preamp to amp impedance matching ratio, but it's not sounding bad at all. I actually still prefer it in the chain than Emotiva alone. I've read there should be some major bass roll-off due to that ratio, but it's pretty much the same amount of bass, maybe even slightly more. It's possibly the bass boost the PJCCS upgrade gave negated bass roll-offs from the ratio. Can't really remember how it compared with stock Quickie from before, but I don't think it's any worse. I know the PJCCS definitely helped in bass impact with the HD800 and Crack which has a 100K input impedance so there's no ratio mismatch. I guess this just goes to show you have to listen to everything in person, than to trust what's on paper alone.post #3089 of 36921/20/14 at 10:35pm
I'm listening at about 10 o' clock with the Concero and close to 12 o' clock when connected to my turntable. Both outputs from my phono stage and Concero are less than the std 2V line out voltage though.
Edited by daerron - 1/21/14 at 8:25pmpost #3090 of 36921/22/14 at 11:57am
My emotiva makes a pop when it goes into standby mode with my 5le's connected. Even worse, when turning on from standby mode it makes an uncomfortably loud 'tick' sound. Have not heard anyone complaining over that yet. I would really like not to send the emo in for repair, as that'll be pretty darn expensive, but it annoys me quite a lot that emotiva send out a unit that seemingly has potential to damage speakers/headphones upon turn off. I'd be okay with it if I could disable the standby mode and just unplug the headphones before turn off, but I suppose I can't. Am a little dissappointed.
EDIT: Well, the power mode switch set to on will have the emo always on. Then I am only ever so slightly dissappointed after all
Edited by davidsh - 1/22/14 at 12:08pm
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Lotoo PAW 5000: Shipping Now (in China) 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 8 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 9 minutes ago
- › Were the Nazis at the Nuremberg Trials wearing audiophile headphones? 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 15 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)