- 5,562 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Photo courtesy of Cozoy INTRODUCTION I recently tested out a couple battery-powered DAC/Amp (Cayin C5DAC and Shanling H3) solutions and the battery-free Calyx PaT DAC/Amp with the goal of...
They sound better than anything I've heard at this price point. I use these earbuds with my iPod Nano every day. The one thing that makes these things annoying as crap is the stupid cable that gets...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Inearz/Fisher Hearing for providing me with a review sample of their IE-P650 CIEM in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website:...
Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus Review Hello, my name is Oscar and this is my review of the Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus. Creative sent these to me as part of a tour and I did not pay for...
I owned two PA2V2 and while it's good value amp, it had far too many flaws to my liking. Gary however provided excellent customer support throughout the whole time. Ended up with O2 and I'm...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 206post #3076 of 37181/18/14 at 12:09pmI am wondering how to simply lower the gain in the emotiva. That'd be quite neat
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3077 of 37181/18/14 at 12:17pmpost #3078 of 37181/19/14 at 12:36ampost #3079 of 37181/19/14 at 11:38pmpost #3080 of 37181/20/14 at 3:08am
I just hooked my LCD-3 to the mini-X. I cannot get past 7-8 pm on the dial. The mids are more forward now and the bass sounded a bit recessed. Switched to the LCD-XC and while soundstage is slightly reduced, the lower end extends more and a bit more slam.post #3081 of 37181/20/14 at 11:24ampost #3082 of 37181/20/14 at 11:50am
Some initial thoughts (but no surprises here):
-I finally know what headroom means, before I was just imagining.
-Consequently the soundstage also sounds more open.
-Drums sound more organic.
-Instrument layering is impressive in terms of imagining.
Just a few thoughts in my brief time with the emotiva mini + HE500s. I will say that the integrated amp on the DA8 is pretty impressive. Very similar to what the emotiva is doing, just a couple notches down.post #3083 of 37181/20/14 at 6:21pm
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.post #3084 of 37181/20/14 at 6:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.
From my post on the other thread:
"LOL trust me, he's probably just never heard open-back ORTHO headphones :P
Using the emotiva the loudest i'd go would be around 10:00 on vinyl rips and about 8:00-9:00 on most dynamically compressed songs"
Edited by Nimzerz - 1/20/14 at 6:28pmpost #3085 of 37181/20/14 at 7:54pmQuote:
Same. Somewhere between 8-9. Sometimes up to 10-11 on the vinyl rips as well.post #3086 of 37181/20/14 at 8:07pmQuote:
+1. For music from my laptop, I cannot go past 8 for my orthos and my TH 900.post #3087 of 37181/20/14 at 8:21pmpost #3088 of 37181/20/14 at 10:02pm
Been using my PJCCS upgraded Quickie with my Emotiva and HE-500 today. Honestly, it's supposed to sound like crap on paper due to the crappy 1/2.5 preamp to amp impedance matching ratio, but it's not sounding bad at all. I actually still prefer it in the chain than Emotiva alone. I've read there should be some major bass roll-off due to that ratio, but it's pretty much the same amount of bass, maybe even slightly more. It's possibly the bass boost the PJCCS upgrade gave negated bass roll-offs from the ratio. Can't really remember how it compared with stock Quickie from before, but I don't think it's any worse. I know the PJCCS definitely helped in bass impact with the HD800 and Crack which has a 100K input impedance so there's no ratio mismatch. I guess this just goes to show you have to listen to everything in person, than to trust what's on paper alone.post #3089 of 37181/20/14 at 10:35pm
I'm listening at about 10 o' clock with the Concero and close to 12 o' clock when connected to my turntable. Both outputs from my phono stage and Concero are less than the std 2V line out voltage though.
Edited by daerron - 1/21/14 at 8:25pmpost #3090 of 37181/22/14 at 11:57am
My emotiva makes a pop when it goes into standby mode with my 5le's connected. Even worse, when turning on from standby mode it makes an uncomfortably loud 'tick' sound. Have not heard anyone complaining over that yet. I would really like not to send the emo in for repair, as that'll be pretty darn expensive, but it annoys me quite a lot that emotiva send out a unit that seemingly has potential to damage speakers/headphones upon turn off. I'd be okay with it if I could disable the standby mode and just unplug the headphones before turn off, but I suppose I can't. Am a little dissappointed.
EDIT: Well, the power mode switch set to on will have the emo always on. Then I am only ever so slightly dissappointed after all
Edited by davidsh - 1/22/14 at 12:08pm
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware 21 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 40 seconds ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 55 seconds ago
- › Dumb question. Do games work well for burning in headphones? 3 minutes ago
- › Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015 6 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN Series: 1/1es/3/5 -- Ti-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear"... 7 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 8 minutes ago
- › [AUS] **PRICE DROP** Gustard H10 & Matrix M-Stage 12 minutes ago
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by nmatheis
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2