- 5,051 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
My video review for those interested: The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of...
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 206post #3076 of 36391/18/14 at 12:09pmI am wondering how to simply lower the gain in the emotiva. That'd be quite neat
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3077 of 36391/18/14 at 12:17pmpost #3078 of 36391/19/14 at 12:36ampost #3079 of 36391/19/14 at 11:38pmpost #3080 of 36391/20/14 at 3:08am
I just hooked my LCD-3 to the mini-X. I cannot get past 7-8 pm on the dial. The mids are more forward now and the bass sounded a bit recessed. Switched to the LCD-XC and while soundstage is slightly reduced, the lower end extends more and a bit more slam.post #3081 of 36391/20/14 at 11:24ampost #3082 of 36391/20/14 at 11:50am
Some initial thoughts (but no surprises here):
-I finally know what headroom means, before I was just imagining.
-Consequently the soundstage also sounds more open.
-Drums sound more organic.
-Instrument layering is impressive in terms of imagining.
Just a few thoughts in my brief time with the emotiva mini + HE500s. I will say that the integrated amp on the DA8 is pretty impressive. Very similar to what the emotiva is doing, just a couple notches down.post #3083 of 36391/20/14 at 6:21pm
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.post #3084 of 36391/20/14 at 6:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.
From my post on the other thread:
"LOL trust me, he's probably just never heard open-back ORTHO headphones :P
Using the emotiva the loudest i'd go would be around 10:00 on vinyl rips and about 8:00-9:00 on most dynamically compressed songs"
Edited by Nimzerz - 1/20/14 at 6:28pmpost #3085 of 36391/20/14 at 7:54pmQuote:
Same. Somewhere between 8-9. Sometimes up to 10-11 on the vinyl rips as well.post #3086 of 36391/20/14 at 8:07pmQuote:
+1. For music from my laptop, I cannot go past 8 for my orthos and my TH 900.post #3087 of 36391/20/14 at 8:21pmpost #3088 of 36391/20/14 at 10:02pm
Been using my PJCCS upgraded Quickie with my Emotiva and HE-500 today. Honestly, it's supposed to sound like crap on paper due to the crappy 1/2.5 preamp to amp impedance matching ratio, but it's not sounding bad at all. I actually still prefer it in the chain than Emotiva alone. I've read there should be some major bass roll-off due to that ratio, but it's pretty much the same amount of bass, maybe even slightly more. It's possibly the bass boost the PJCCS upgrade gave negated bass roll-offs from the ratio. Can't really remember how it compared with stock Quickie from before, but I don't think it's any worse. I know the PJCCS definitely helped in bass impact with the HD800 and Crack which has a 100K input impedance so there's no ratio mismatch. I guess this just goes to show you have to listen to everything in person, than to trust what's on paper alone.post #3089 of 36391/20/14 at 10:35pm
I'm listening at about 10 o' clock with the Concero and close to 12 o' clock when connected to my turntable. Both outputs from my phono stage and Concero are less than the std 2V line out voltage though.
Edited by daerron - 1/21/14 at 8:25pmpost #3090 of 36391/22/14 at 11:57am
My emotiva makes a pop when it goes into standby mode with my 5le's connected. Even worse, when turning on from standby mode it makes an uncomfortably loud 'tick' sound. Have not heard anyone complaining over that yet. I would really like not to send the emo in for repair, as that'll be pretty darn expensive, but it annoys me quite a lot that emotiva send out a unit that seemingly has potential to damage speakers/headphones upon turn off. I'd be okay with it if I could disable the standby mode and just unplug the headphones before turn off, but I suppose I can't. Am a little dissappointed.
EDIT: Well, the power mode switch set to on will have the emo always on. Then I am only ever so slightly dissappointed after all
Edited by davidsh - 1/22/14 at 12:08pm
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 58 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 6 minutes ago
- › Help me optimize my 1k budget 8 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 9 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 9 minutes ago
- › Toronto Winter Meet 10 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 12 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 14 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 20 minutes ago
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 21 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)