- 5,297 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
INTRODUCTION Because I’ve been involved with some review samples with my Australian brethren in the last couple of years, I’ve had the chance to hear some IEMs I’ve been curious about in the...
The Little Dot line of headphone amps represent what is possible when a Chinese production amp doesn't cut corners on build quality and engineering. This amp has my vote as the best desktop hybrid...
My dac progression has been in the sub 1000.00 range and frankly I doubt I will ever exceed that mark further I find it hard to believe there is anything better in this price range. My musical...
Specifications: Driver: Titanium Diaphgram Dynamic Driver 13mm Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency: 20Hz-30kHz Cable Length: 1.2m Plug: 3.5mm Stere Mini Weight: 18g Comes With: 1...
Hi guys, I spent several hours (more than 40 hours research) to find the best headphone for my budget (under AUD $200). I tried to read as many reviews (mainly the 1-2 stars) as I could to know...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 206post #3076 of 36731/18/14 at 12:09pmI am wondering how to simply lower the gain in the emotiva. That'd be quite neat
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3077 of 36731/18/14 at 12:17pmpost #3078 of 36731/19/14 at 12:36ampost #3079 of 36731/19/14 at 11:38pmpost #3080 of 36731/20/14 at 3:08am
I just hooked my LCD-3 to the mini-X. I cannot get past 7-8 pm on the dial. The mids are more forward now and the bass sounded a bit recessed. Switched to the LCD-XC and while soundstage is slightly reduced, the lower end extends more and a bit more slam.post #3081 of 36731/20/14 at 11:24ampost #3082 of 36731/20/14 at 11:50am
Some initial thoughts (but no surprises here):
-I finally know what headroom means, before I was just imagining.
-Consequently the soundstage also sounds more open.
-Drums sound more organic.
-Instrument layering is impressive in terms of imagining.
Just a few thoughts in my brief time with the emotiva mini + HE500s. I will say that the integrated amp on the DA8 is pretty impressive. Very similar to what the emotiva is doing, just a couple notches down.post #3083 of 36731/20/14 at 6:21pm
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.post #3084 of 36731/20/14 at 6:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
At what volume do you guys listen to the HE-500 on the emotiva? I mean, I know that certain songs are louder than others but on average where is the volume pot? Mine is usually at 9 o'clockish and I was wondering if that is considered loud enough to damage hearing.
From my post on the other thread:
"LOL trust me, he's probably just never heard open-back ORTHO headphones :P
Using the emotiva the loudest i'd go would be around 10:00 on vinyl rips and about 8:00-9:00 on most dynamically compressed songs"
Edited by Nimzerz - 1/20/14 at 6:28pmpost #3085 of 36731/20/14 at 7:54pmQuote:
Same. Somewhere between 8-9. Sometimes up to 10-11 on the vinyl rips as well.post #3086 of 36731/20/14 at 8:07pmQuote:
+1. For music from my laptop, I cannot go past 8 for my orthos and my TH 900.post #3087 of 36731/20/14 at 8:21pmpost #3088 of 36731/20/14 at 10:02pm
Been using my PJCCS upgraded Quickie with my Emotiva and HE-500 today. Honestly, it's supposed to sound like crap on paper due to the crappy 1/2.5 preamp to amp impedance matching ratio, but it's not sounding bad at all. I actually still prefer it in the chain than Emotiva alone. I've read there should be some major bass roll-off due to that ratio, but it's pretty much the same amount of bass, maybe even slightly more. It's possibly the bass boost the PJCCS upgrade gave negated bass roll-offs from the ratio. Can't really remember how it compared with stock Quickie from before, but I don't think it's any worse. I know the PJCCS definitely helped in bass impact with the HD800 and Crack which has a 100K input impedance so there's no ratio mismatch. I guess this just goes to show you have to listen to everything in person, than to trust what's on paper alone.post #3089 of 36731/20/14 at 10:35pm
I'm listening at about 10 o' clock with the Concero and close to 12 o' clock when connected to my turntable. Both outputs from my phono stage and Concero are less than the std 2V line out voltage though.
Edited by daerron - 1/21/14 at 8:25pmpost #3090 of 36731/22/14 at 11:57am
My emotiva makes a pop when it goes into standby mode with my 5le's connected. Even worse, when turning on from standby mode it makes an uncomfortably loud 'tick' sound. Have not heard anyone complaining over that yet. I would really like not to send the emo in for repair, as that'll be pretty darn expensive, but it annoys me quite a lot that emotiva send out a unit that seemingly has potential to damage speakers/headphones upon turn off. I'd be okay with it if I could disable the standby mode and just unplug the headphones before turn off, but I suppose I can't. Am a little dissappointed.
EDIT: Well, the power mode switch set to on will have the emo always on. Then I am only ever so slightly dissappointed after all
Edited by davidsh - 1/22/14 at 12:08pm
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 16 seconds ago
- › DIY your own Theme for your lovely X3 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 1 minute ago
- › = HE-560 Enhancement Mod = 1 minute ago
- › How exactly does an amp effect sound? 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 5 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 6 minutes ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Brooko
- › Little Dot I+ by Zeejet
- › MHDT labs havana by joespride
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Dsnuts
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by Janos Kardos
- › Sony MDR-10RBT Bluetooth Headphone by Giogio
- › Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black by Giogio
- › Harman Kardon BT by Giogio
- › Philips Fidelio M2BT by Giogio
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by cuiter23
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3