Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 204

post #3046 of 3613

John, that TX8050 looks very cool. Plug it into your home network and it taps into your DNLA servers, 2 coax, 2 optical inputs, phono input, $21 for the wifi dongle. Hmmmm looks like a great headphone amp.


Edited by robrob - 1/14/14 at 9:14pm
post #3047 of 3613

So I contacted emotiva about a problem I was having and their lead tech advised me to put a 220ohm 2 watt resistor on each channel. Unfortunately, I don't exactly know how to attach a resistor to this amp. Additionally, a simple google search came up with this.

http://www.amazon.com/RESISTOR-METAL-OXIDE-FLAMEPROOF-AXIAL/dp/B008UTW99S

Is this suitable or is there something else that I should use?

post #3048 of 3613
Want to describe the problems?
post #3049 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post
 

So I contacted emotiva about a problem I was having and their lead tech advised me to put a 220ohm 2 watt resistor on each channel. Unfortunately, I don't exactly know how to attach a resistor to this amp. Additionally, a simple google search came up with this.

http://www.amazon.com/RESISTOR-METAL-OXIDE-FLAMEPROOF-AXIAL/dp/B008UTW99S

Is this suitable or is there something else that I should use?


That's probably fine. I've used Vishay-Dale resistors from Mouser and Mills resistors from Sonic Craft. If you are having trouble finding 2 watt resistors, it's fine to use anything higher. Best stick to the recommendation of 220 ohms though. 

I attached resistors to my amp by putting the resistor lead in the bare wire post of the amp, then connecting my adapter to the other end of the resistor with alligator clips from Mouser. Not the safest method though. :D 

 

If you wanted to use 240 ohms instead of 220 (probably wouldn't make any practical difference, but I suppose it depends on the precise nature of the problem you are trying to fix), something like this would do the same job without the mad scientist aesthetic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-6-35-to-3-5mm-resistor-adaptor/281224427556?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D19839%26meid%3D4140801177868411936%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8934%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D290372905689%26

post #3050 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post
 

John, that TX8050 looks very cool. Plug it into your home network and it taps into your DNLA servers, 2 coax, 2 optical inputs, phono input, $21 for the wifi dongle. Hmmmm looks like a great headphone amp.

Robrob yes the Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver is great. Not the latest in network receiver design but "A Real Receiver For Real Expectations" as per a user review on Amazon. I believe that wired connections should be a first choice unless it is impractical and then go to wireless. I took some time in setting up the TX8050 to achieve maximum long term stability using the older Ethernet drivers and services on the PC but it was fun. My PC is connected to the internet wireless by using a cradlepoint router two floors up. I have to use the bridging function on my Win 7 PC.  I was having IP address conflicts and I turn off the DHCP services on the TX8050 added the private IP address and  the ISP DNS server address and the TX8050 can now see the internet. All of this can be done by using the Onkyo web page locally.  I also brought the Onkyo C-7030 CD player $109 and it is one of the best sounding CD players I ever heard. It made no sense paying more for the Onkyo C-7070 unless you get the Onkyo C-7000R but that is a big price jump. The cool thing about the CD player is that the TX8050 will automatically switch to the CD inputs when I turn on the C-7030. That is enough about Onkyo for now.  Headphones on the speaker taps continues to work well.

post #3051 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Want to describe the problems?

 

Uh yeah, it's channel imbalance. I previously thought it was a problem with my HE-500s but after getting a replacement I still find see that there is channel imbalance. I also know that it's not my hearing because I am fine with every other headphone I use. So I concluded that it must be a problem with my amplifier. Upon contacting emotiva, they told me to use resistors. However, I use a banana to 6.3mm adapter so I don't know how I would go about applying them.

post #3052 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post

 

Uh yeah, it's channel imbalance. I previously thought it was a problem with my HE-500s but after getting a replacement I still find see that there is channel imbalance. I also know that it's not my hearing because I am fine with every other headphone I use. So I concluded that it must be a problem with my amplifier. Upon contacting emotiva, they told me to use resistors. However, I use a banana to 6.3mm adapter so I don't know how I would go about applying them.


If you have the type of banana plugs with a hole in the middle, you can put one end of the resistor in that hole and the other end in the bare wire hole of the amp's binding posts. 

post #3053 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post
 

 

Uh yeah, it's channel imbalance. I previously thought it was a problem with my HE-500s but after getting a replacement I still find see that there is channel imbalance. I also know that it's not my hearing because I am fine with every other headphone I use. So I concluded that it must be a problem with my amplifier. Upon contacting emotiva, they told me to use resistors. However, I use a banana to 6.3mm adapter so I don't know how I would go about applying them.

I have the exact same problem. Sent mine back on an RMA and they told me to add resistors to avoid the imbalance. I got a couple 150ohm resistors in place now and it's much better.

post #3054 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

I have the exact same problem. Sent mine back on an RMA and they told me to add resistors to avoid the imbalance. I got a couple 150ohm resistors in place now and it's much better.

 

Oh it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Are you using a banana to 6.3 adapter as well? If so, can you show me how you applied the resistors?

post #3055 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound View Post
 

 

Oh it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Are you using a banana to 6.3 adapter as well? If so, can you show me how you applied the resistors?

Nope, I have a 1/4" jack mounted to the front plate; everything is internal.

post #3056 of 3613
I only have a slight imbalance below 8 o clock. Which is fine to me becaus I listen at about 9 and up. Would the resistors help anything else? Better volume pot control? I also don't have any background noise/ hiss like a lot have complained about here. Maybe i got lucky
post #3057 of 3613
I was lucky to get a replacement with no imbalance :3
The only imbalance now is right before sound cuts out, which is fine because that's nearly a perfect pot smily_headphones1.gif
post #3058 of 3613

Here's a question for you guys. The Emotiva MiniX has a relatively low input impedance of only 10K ohms. They recommend at least a 10:1 ratio on power amp input impedance/preamp output impedance matching for adequate gain staging to reduce S/N. My Quickie preamp is 2K ohms output impedance and with an upgrade I may choose to do, it increases this to 4K ohms. Could I make an adapter box that I can put in between the Quickie and Emotiva so it would improve the impedance matching, without degrading sound quality? Is this even possible to do along the RCA line, or do I have to add resistors either inside the Emotiva or Quickie?

 

Thanks in advance.

post #3059 of 3613

Okie, I admit it.  I am a Mini-X fanboy.  :D  Another clone.

 

post #3060 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Okie, I admit it.  I am a Mini-X fanboy.  :D  Another clone.

 

 

That looks just great.....how about the internal wiring to the jack......is there any worry of interference? I'd like to put a jack on the front like yours.

 

I just made a set of bananas to a locking TRS and its working fine...........today I tried out my self modded T50RP and surprised to see they take about 11 o'clock on mini.......they sound just phenomenal, haven't ever sounded this rich, loud, and meaty at the same time.......

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project