- 1,185 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: Oregon
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Preamble: At HiFime, all started with the production of the Tripath TK2050 speaker amplification chip. Nowadays they are mostly known for their portable DACs that use valuable...
I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for...
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero around April 16th. I received the unit...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 201post #3001 of 37881/11/14 at 11:31pmI need one on an hp extension cable then I guess.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3002 of 37881/11/14 at 11:33pmpost #3003 of 37881/11/14 at 11:35pmpost #3004 of 37881/12/14 at 6:15amQuote:
So, you went for attenuation but no speaker load matching. What headphones are you using and did it knock out the noise?
I have what sounds like a 60 cps hum with the volume pot at 1/3 or higher, with no music playing. Is what I refer to as "hum" the same as others call "hiss?" If so, maybe the 2-resistor network would work best for me: R2 = 5 watt, 6 ohm...R3 = 3 watt, 2 ohmpost #3005 of 37881/12/14 at 6:33amThe HE-4 had a minimal noise floor on the right channel, more prominent on the T50RP. Yeah, I basically looked around for 200ohm resistors and could only find 150. I wasn't looking to be real scientific or anything, I just couldn't listen to this amp in stock form.post #3006 of 37881/12/14 at 7:03am
FWIW, here's what I did based on koiloco's idea.
I have a hum from my Mini a-100 that sounds like a ground loop or 60 cycles per second hum. I'm going to add resistors and see if they knock it out. The Emotiva Mini a-100 performs very well, for me, and sounds good. For the price, you can't go wrong.
If you get a Mini a-100 and choose to modify it like koiloco with a headphone jack off the speaker terminals, you have to measure VERY Carefully because you only get on shot at it. There is limited space behind the face plate and I just barely got it "right."
You need to:
remove the knob - it pulls straight off. Not easy, but it's only friction mounted
remove the case cover and face plate (Put screws in a medicine bottle and use a foam pad in case you drop them)
move the heat sink to the side, actually towards the front just enough to reach the nuts on the speaker taps
and remove the volume pot board from the back of the face plate. Make sure you don't lose the little white, plastic washer between the volume pot stem and face plate's clear "window."
Measure the width of the front side aluminum accent and mark its position from top to bottom of the Rear side of the face plate. Measure and mark your "pilot" hole for your TRS jack. Draw a 1/4" hole centered over your pilot mark.
Digital calipers are essential for accurate measurements which is important when tolerances are so small. Make sure your 1/4" circle around the pilot mark does not impinge upon the edge of the volume pot board And its wire assembly.
If only installing a Single End TRS jack, put it on the front-left side of the face plate because there is more room to work, there. Note, I added a mini xlr because it looked too difficult to use a standard XLR without drilling into the volume pot circuit board and the front side aluminum accent.
Drill a pilot hole with a 1/16th inch drill bit from the back side of the face plate. Increase the bit size or use a step drill bit to reach 1/4" in diameter.
Blue and Clear wires are for + and - TRS/mini xlr jacks to speaker terminals.
Large black Mogami cable under and around Toroidal power supply with splitter at the top of the volume pot circuit board going to TRS at top right side and xlr at the bottom right side.
Splitter on right side goes to TRS on right and xlr on left side of circuit board.
Circuit board for volume pot with jacks on either side.
TRS jack right next to harness plug.
XLR next to other harness assembly.
Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 1/12/14 at 8:08ampost #3007 of 37881/12/14 at 10:36ampost #3008 of 37881/12/14 at 10:39amI noticed in those pics that the transformer is black on the outside. Mine is covered in some kind silvery foil. Does anyone know what this difference means -- newer vs older version perhaps?post #3009 of 37881/12/14 at 1:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by robrob
Use the right side of the graphic. 110 ohm resistors on the two + headphone wires will give you 12dB of attenuation which is about the minimum I'd recommend anyone start with, so 100 to 200 ohm 3 watt resistors is my recommendation. One resistor attenuation like this is usually fine for solid state amps but for any tube amp I'd recommend you go with the left side of the graphic's two resistor network to match the amp's expected speaker load.
Would a 100 ohm, 10 watt, 10% resistor work?
If using only R2 what does 142+ ohms speaker load do to a solid state amp?
Thanks for all the help!post #3010 of 37881/12/14 at 1:37pmpost #3011 of 37881/12/14 at 1:39pmpost #3012 of 37881/12/14 at 1:41pmQuote:
Yes, that's what I figured with the cheap Radio Shack stuff they had on hand.
What about the watts=10?
BTW, I ordered the 5 watt/6 ohm and 3 watt/2 ohm 1% Resistors by Vishay, from Mouser.post #3013 of 37881/12/14 at 1:43pmpost #3014 of 37881/12/14 at 3:37pmQuote:
^This. 100 ohm 5 watt 1% wirewound Vishay or Vishay-Dale is what you want.
For the two resistor network 6 ohm 5 watt and 2 ohm 3 watt 1% V-D wirewound is my choice.post #3015 of 37881/13/14 at 12:38am
I have a very basic electrical / engineering knowledge, so will be grateful if anyone can help me with the following. I plan to try my HE 500's from the 8 ohm speaker taps of the Cayin audio AT70 Tube integrated amp. I will use the Hifiman HE adapter & balanced HP cable. The links for all are as below :
Will there be any issues that i should watch out for or things should go fine ?
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 1 minute ago
- › Bluetooth headphones - Mpow swift vs wolverine vs magneto ? 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AKG k550 alternate ear pads? 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO Releases the X7 Standard Edition (Without Amp Module) 7 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-007 ear pad spring rubber grommet 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 8 minutes ago
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...