Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 3

post #31 of 3491
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

 

Cool,

 

Where did you get the adapters and cables from? 

 

Brian over at BTG Audio, I've had him do previous work for me so it was natural to go back to him. We went over a few different cable plans to see what would be best in the long run and the resulting cable was the most universal while being cost effective (was toying around with mini-XLR and other type stuff, but went standard instead). Great guy to work with. He's recabled and modded some headphones in the past for me and his work has been phenomenal.

 

I actually contemplated getting the 125wpc Emotiva instead of the 50wpc, but ultimately I think the 50wpc with the volume knob is going to be the way to go for the HE-500.

 

Next up I want to see about a DAC that synergizes really well with the whole affair. Gonna try a NFB12, E10, MusicStreamerII and a few others to see if there's any noticeable difference, may buy something else too just to see how it all works together and find what sounds best to my ears. I like the NFB12, but it's DAC is the same as the E10 so it sort of renders it pointless, but the NFB12 has more connectivity for other devices, but in general I use USB mostly anyways. Not sure if the music streamer ii is an upgrade or sounds different from the NFB12 or E10 frankly. Guess I'll find out the expensive way. Open to suggestions of course on a new DAC (down grade, side grade ,up grade, doesn't matter to me) from anyone who's familiar with the HE-500 and relatively warm/neutral amps.

 

Very best,

post #32 of 3491
The 125w puppies would for sure be too much. The 500s top out for power pretty quickly compared to the black hole 6s. The thing that speaker amps offer that is harder to find in headphone amps are the soundstage gets bigger with better placement and the bass impact is harder. Both of those benefit the 500s.

DACs are a different beast but is certainly personal taste dependent. The orthos can take a SS DAC feed well because of their smoother presentation. But don't discount an older DAC either. For value, you can get some outstanding performers. With the advent of USB to S/Pdif converters, new life has been injected in the older quality DACs. JMO, if you are going to use the better performance of a SS amp, consider a tube DAC. Like everything, budget will steer you to more specific recommendations.
post #33 of 3491

Yeah - brian has done a lot of work for me as well.  Up and coming young man.

 

That 125wpc amp would have been to much for the 500s.  IMO no room to play with on the volume knob, and yes - plus you would have get some kind of volume control.  

 

As for DACs.

 

The Audio-gd stuff seem to be the go to place for affordable DACS.  I would also look into a tube DAC as I am.  

 

 

Got my eyes on the Havana or the Stockholm (Tube DACS)

 

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/


Edited by preproman - 11/1/12 at 2:32pm
post #34 of 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

The 125w puppies would for sure be too much. The 500s top out for power pretty quickly compared to the black hole 6s. The thing that speaker amps offer that is harder to find in headphone amps are the soundstage gets bigger with better placement and the bass impact is harder. Both of those benefit the 500s.
DACs are a different beast but is certainly personal taste dependent. The orthos can take a SS DAC feed well because of their smoother presentation. But don't discount an older DAC either. For value, you can get some outstanding performers. With the advent of USB to S/Pdif converters, new life has been injected in the older quality DACs. JMO, if you are going to use the better performance of a SS amp, consider a tube DAC. Like everything, budget will steer you to more specific recommendations.

 

 

Great minds think alike blink.gif

post #35 of 3491
Thread Starter 

Heya,

 

Cool, glad I'm going in the right direction.

 

Would actually love recommendations on a DAC, especially a tube DAC as I've not toyed around with that. Budget wise, not really sure. I'm trying to keep it rather value oriented, since I've already wasted tons of money on things like Lyr+Bifrost and found that a simple NFB12 does the same job, and now a new cable and Emotiva amp for the HE-500, makes me want to try various DAC's in the $50~200 range roughly, but again, I have no real limit. I just don't want to spend another $900 on a setup that basically a $200 thing can do. But I'm open to ideas even if they're pricey and I'm always open to used gear as I prefer to buy things second hand if I can get a good enough discount to warrant it. I also like things that have good re-sale ability, so I stay away from novelty things that no one really will buy again.

 

Very best,

post #36 of 3491

I tried using my Firstwatt F5, which is 25 watts into 8ohms, using the Burson Soloist as preamp, and going into my LCD3.

 

It sounded great, BUT there was a noise problem that I couldn't live with. Could be heard in quiet passages, and was very obvious with no music playing.

 

I think it needs resistors to be quiet.

 

Look forward to trying the HE6 with the same amp setup.

post #37 of 3491

You may want to check for any DC on your speaker taps before you risk damaging your headphones.

post #38 of 3491
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post

You may want to check for any DC on your speaker taps before you risk damaging your headphones.

Heya,

DC? Not sure I follow.

Very best,
post #39 of 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman View Post

I tried using my Firstwatt F5, which is 25 watts into 8ohms, using the Burson Soloist as preamp, and going into my LCD3.

 

It sounded great, BUT there was a noise problem that I couldn't live with. Could be heard in quiet passages, and was very obvious with no music playing.

 

I think it needs resistors to be quiet.

 

Look forward to trying the HE6 with the same amp setup.

 

Had the same problem going from J2 to HD800, depending on what I was using for the DAC and preamp.  Definitely requires some experimentation.  I forgot which combination I had to use to get rid of the noise, but it eventually went away.  The HE6 never had noise problems for me, but I've found orthos more forgiving about noisy amping.

 

Are you using an authentic F5 or a clone?  The clones tend to suffer from more noise issues than amps from Nelson Pass' kitchen table.


Edited by Elysian - 11/1/12 at 11:42pm
post #40 of 3491

Sub'd.

 

I was wondering the same, if I need resistors to use my 150W@8 integrated with HE-500s.

post #41 of 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post


Heya,
DC? Not sure I follow.
Very best,

DC = Direct current, seems like he doesnt want the source to have high voltage and damage his headphone, i may be wrong.


Edited by XxDobermanxX - 11/2/12 at 2:05am
post #42 of 3491

he's talking about the dc offset

http://www.head-fi.org/t/550811/how-much-dc-offset-would-you-consider-harmful-to-hp-and-after-which-point-would-you-throw-the-commercial-amp-out

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman View Post

I tried using my Firstwatt F5, which is 25 watts into 8ohms, using the Burson Soloist as preamp, and going into my LCD3.

 

It sounded great, BUT there was a noise problem that I couldn't live with. Could be heard in quiet passages, and was very obvious with no music playing.

 

I think it needs resistors to be quiet.

 

Look forward to trying the HE6 with the same amp setup.

 

I used 10 ohm resistors in parallel to connect my he-500 to jolida 202a and had way too much noise for me to use it over my m^3.

resistors in series might help, but I think he-500s are too sensitive for speaker amps.

post #43 of 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkbg View Post

Sub'd.

 

I was wondering the same, if I need resistors to use my 150W@8 integrated with HE-500s.

 

 

That's a lot for the 500s.  If you had the 6s I would say cool.  But your V200 should do just fine with the 500s

post #44 of 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

That's a lot for the 500s.  If you had the 6s I would say cool.  But your V200 should do just fine with the 500s

 

150 is quite a bit for HE-6 too, despite.  I'm running 140w, and it's a great amp, and suits the HE-6 well, but I'm certainly not using anywhere near the max capability of that amp! biggrin.gif

post #45 of 3491

I suggest using a volt meter and look for any DC voltage on the speaker taps prior to using your expensive headphone there.  If you have used these speaker taps with actual speakers and have not heard distortion you are probably ok, but measuring for DC voltage is the only true way to ensure the drivers are not going to deform badly and possibly damage.  It is all about how confident you are about the speaker taps only having AC voltage on them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project