or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 190

post #2836 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 


I always turn the Emotiva off and on with the headphones plugged in. I just always make sure to turn down the volume after I'm done using it :P

 

The XDA-2 makes that very difficult, so I usually unplug my headphones before turning off/on instead.

post #2837 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post

The XDA-2 makes that very difficult, so I usually unplug my headphones before turning off/on instead.
We'll one thing I don't understand is that when you unplug the headphone jack it makes a popping noise that is very loud. Wouldn't this be dangerous?! Wouldn't it be more safe to just leave the headphone in and turn it off/on?
post #2838 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Okay, potentially the power spikes can be quadroubled this way. Not good, but spikes as it would happen with music will not melt a driver. I am positive you need prolonged audio signals or DC. Whatever. What are we even talking about right now... I am almost lost. Are we discussing something?

Go back and read where sonido misconnected his HE-Adapter box and had his X-100 shut down after 30 seconds of prolonged audio signals ;)

post #2839 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post
 

Go back and read where sonido misconnected his HE-Adapter box and had his X-100 shut down after 30 seconds of prolonged audio signals ;)


To be clear, it wasn't with the HE-Adapter here. It was with the TRS, which has a combined ground. In my case, it was a combined + since I connected it backwards. HE-Adapter is balanced I believe.

post #2840 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 


To be clear, it wasn't with the HE-Adapter here. It was with the TRS, which has a combined ground. In my case, it was a combined + since I connected it backwards. HE-Adapter is balanced I believe.

 

OK, but exact same effect. The HE-Adapter is balanced but if you connect a TRS adapter to it (what I thought you did) you get the exact same wiring problem.

post #2841 of 3790

Would you guys think the Aune T1 would sound good as a DAC, then fed to the Emotiva which will power my HE-500? Or would the Modi also beat this DAC?

post #2842 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 

Would you guys think the Aune T1 would sound good as a DAC, then fed to the Emotiva which will power my HE-500? Or would the Modi also beat this DAC?


Look at page 183-184.

post #2843 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 


Look at page 183-184.


Thanks, but that still doesn't help with my overall rig that I would set it up with. How would it compare to using the Modi through the emotiva to the HE500? In other words, is the DAC and the warmth from the tube good sounding in this setup?

post #2844 of 3790

To me and my ears, Emotiva/HE500 combo is pretty neutral and not cold at all.  You need to get a DAC that gives you "smooth", extended high, not one that will further spike the occasional harshness in the Mini-x's high.

post #2845 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

To me and my ears, Emotiva/HE500 combo is pretty neutral and not cold at all.  You need to get a DAC that gives you "smooth", extended high, not one that will further spike the occasional harshness in the Mini-x's high.


Well, what's that supposed to imply? That the Aune T1 is a good or bad option?

post #2846 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 


Thanks, but that still doesn't help with my overall rig that I would set it up with. How would it compare to using the Modi through the emotiva to the HE500? In other words, is the DAC and the warmth from the tube good sounding in this setup?


brunk deterred me enough to not spend $110 to see how it compares to the Quickie in terms of adding warmth to the chain. Didn't you order a Quickie kit?

post #2847 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 


brunk deterred me enough to not spend $110 to see how it compares to the Quickie in terms of adding warmth to the chain. Didn't you order a Quickie kit?


I was thinking about ordering the Quickie in the future, but who knows if that'll even happen. It's a very low probability that I'll end up going through with it. To you, does the Modi fit well in the combo without the Quickie?


Edited by Nimzerz - 12/19/13 at 7:22pm
post #2848 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 


Well, what's that supposed to imply? That the Aune T1 is a good or bad option?

The Aune T1, being a tube DAC, IMO could add a touch of warmth to the sound but I am not sure how much cuz I haven't tried it before. What I meant in my last post is that if you still find the Emo/HE500 combo to be bright sometimes, tube DACs might not be the solution.  Try the modi first as a reference baseline and go from there.

post #2849 of 3790

That's a good point. I'll definitely try the Modi before making a decision, but the T1 definitely looks very attractive :P

post #2850 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 


I was thinking about ordering the Quickie in the future, but who knows if that'll even happen. It's a very low probability that I'll end up going through with it. To you, does the Modi fit well in the combo without the Quickie?


It was adequate. Nothing really wrong with it. Didn't add any color, which is what a SS DAC should do. I prefer the Audioengine D3 though. Also neutral, but I found it resolved more details. I hardly use any of my other DACs now. Decause the D3 is so portable, I carry it in my pocket to and from work. I plan on selling my Modi after Christmas week. I actually have a lot on the chopping block now, including my other DAC, the Firestone Audio Spitfire HD, and Beyerdynamic T90. I just impulse bought the HD800 from Amazon for $890 solely because of the price. I maintain that my current HE-500 setup sounds better than HD800 + Crack for my genres of music (rock/pop). Still, I am a weak man to heavy discounts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project