Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 184

post #2746 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

IMO, that DAC is not something you want to spend even $109 on. Go a little extra and get something worthwhile. Heck, the Emotiva XDA-1 will be better than that.
Please elaborate? A poor job on doing what a DAC is supposed to do? Does it not reveal well or sound congested or grainy? I know we're looking for warmth, but if it does not do what a DAC is supposed to do, then it's not worth it.
post #2747 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


Please elaborate? A poor job on doing what a DAC is supposed to do? Does it not reveal well or sound congested or grainy? I know we're looking for warmth, but if it does not do what a DAC is supposed to do, then it's not worth it.

It's better as an amp than a DAC when I had it for a brief time. The DAC makes music, but it's really compromised. If you're looking for warmth over what you already have from Quickie and HE-500, then I'm thinking you are an Audeze guy.

 

If you had to start from scratch, what would be your ideal sound signature? I have had quite a vast array of stuff pass through my system, and listened to several others, so I may be able to give a better recommendation from there.

post #2748 of 3639

I have an Aune T1 and it's a great little DAC/Headphone amp. It drives my HE-500s very nicely. The tube is used as a buffer in the DAC and the amp is 100% solid state but bottom line it sounds great with my HE-500s and AKG K240 Studios but comes up a little short driving my hard to drive modified Fostex T50RPs.

post #2749 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

It's better as an amp than a DAC when I had it for a brief time. The DAC makes music, but it's really compromised. If you're looking for warmth over what you already have from Quickie and HE-500, then I'm thinking you are an Audeze guy.

If you had to start from scratch, what would be your ideal sound signature? I have had quite a vast array of stuff pass through my system, and listened to several others, so I may be able to give a better recommendation from there.
I actually find the level of warmth the Quickie gives off to be perfect for my ears. I was merely curious how a tube DAC compares to a tube preamp going through the Emotiva and HE-500. In fact I doubt I would even pair the two together cuz it would be too warm and even congested sounding to me. I didn't like the Quickie with Sophia pairing because of that. So the Maverick D2 is substantially better than the Aune T1 as a tube DAC?
post #2750 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


I actually find the level of warmth the Quickie gives off to be perfect for my ears. I was merely curious how a tube DAC compares to a tube preamp going through the Emotiva and HE-500. In fact I doubt I would even pair the two together cuz it would be too warm and even congested sounding to me. I didn't like the Quickie with Sophia pairing because of that. So the Maverick D2 is substantially better than the Aune T1 as a tube DAC?

I haven't had the Mav D2 before, but I don't doubt it's much better judging by the DAC and opamps. If you want a really organic tube DAC, the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 is a great choice. Endless possibilities too.

post #2751 of 3639
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

If you want a really organic tube DAC, the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 is a great choice. Endless possibilities too.

 

Agreed.. I had the TD-11 for a couple of years.. bought it on the strength of @project86's review.. and I loved it.  Like a dunce, I sold it earlier this year.. and still regret it.  Might have to get it (again).

post #2752 of 3639

I ordered HE-300 direct from HeadDirect for $150 during their black Friday sale. Other than some audible hiss when nothing is playing, these phones are awesome with the Mini X, just incredible. I am using Beyer DT-990 600 ohm pads with them, very comfy. I will be getting a resistor cable for these, but color me impressed. Awesome value. Still enjoying HE-500 too. Strangely, my latest revision HE-400 sound the worst of the three with Mini X.

 

QNAP TS-120 NAS (all FLAC rips) > Logitech Squeezebox Touch (optical) > Bifrost > LD MkII preamp (all Russian tubes) > Mini X

 

I am also enjoying AKG 712 very much with the Lyr and Bugle Boy tubes. Can't see needing anything else at this point.


Edited by Grado77 - 12/16/13 at 11:49pm
post #2753 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Since people have brought up a tube DAC as an alternative to a tube preamp, anyone have experience with the Aune T1? It's only potentially $109 on a certain crowdsourced website we mustn't speak of.

I have the T1 and it pairs very well with the HE-500. You will most likely want to change the stock tube though, so the actual cost will be higher.

post #2754 of 3639

If you want to step up a level on tub dacs take a look at the MHDT DAC family.  They can, and have been heavily modded as well with great results for all you DIY folks.

 

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/mhdt%20dac%20families.htm

 

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/

post #2755 of 3639
Mine is not dispatched yet. Still in unfullfilled status. I asked to sales department when they will dispach ne units? He said today it will be. But still not delivered.
What about yours ?
post #2756 of 3639

You guys will have to let us know if you have any imbalance issues. Considering Nimzerz and I both have the same issue (right channel is louder) and we both received our units very recently... I sent mine back on an RMA. The guy on the phone didn't seem too upset about the fact that I drilled a hole in the face plate :o

post #2757 of 3639
Haven't had mine sent either. Got no email anyway..
post #2758 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

You guys will have to let us know if you have any imbalance issues. Considering Nimzerz and I both have the same issue (right channel is louder) and we both received our units very recently... I sent mine back on an RMA. The guy on the phone didn't seem too upset about the fact that I drilled a hole in the face plate redface.gif
Honestly I think it's by design to allow more leeway on volume differences between the two channels compared to headphone amps. It is a speaker amp after all. It probably wouldn't be very noticeable for speakers since they are placed far way, but when using with headphones, it becomes much easier to discern the differences in volume. I'm willing to bet that the headphone amp industry has much stricter guidelines to channel imbalances than the speaker amp industry.
post #2759 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

If you want to step up a level on tub dacs take a look at the MHDT DAC family.  They can, and have been heavily modded as well with great results for all you DIY folks.

 

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/mhdt%20dac%20families.htm

 

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/

You know, I just might spring for one of those and hack it up for fun :D I'm also looking at building a TDA1543 or similar NOS DAC :)

post #2760 of 3639

Mine is dispatched :) Wish to arrive before 20th of December to Georgia, Atlanta. 

 

Although it was written to use FEDEX while orderind, they send it with UPS. I don't know how long does it take (UPS tracking number is not working yet, may be tomorrow it works)

 

Do u know, is it possible to arrive before 20th of December to Atlanta ? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project