Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 18

post #256 of 3607

Hey preproman,

 

Thanks for the link from the T1 thread.

 

I read your survey of different HPs with this Emotiva amp - very well written - and the traits you ascribe to each headphone very much ring true for me against my limited experience with those headphones but much reading of reviews.  biggrin.gif

 

And I'm really blown away by the current price of the mini-X a-100  - only $179.  Seriously?   

 

Have you tried the Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022  (T-amp)? 

 

It has more or less the same specs (50Wpc into 8 Ohms) as the Emotiva, but I've only recently heard about them, too.

 

I've searched this thread briefly, but haven't found any mention of the Topping amp.

 

I've never heard either one - just wondering if you or anyone else has done a comparison.

 

Thanks!

 

Mike


Edited by zilch0md - 11/28/12 at 10:40pm
post #257 of 3607

@zoom: if you're getting the new HE-500 and know anyone who does any electronics work at all, they can put the banana plugs on for you in about 10 minutes for the cost of the plugs.  The new cable from hifiman is really, really nice.  If not, check with Chris_himself.  He works pretty cheap and does good work--I can give you his gmail if you'd like.

 

@all:  Got the Topping TP21 in today.  It's a T amp, which means it's damned TINY.  Seriously--it's almost exactly the size of a paperback book.  Perfect for what I wanted--something inexpensive that I could take with me and use in hotel rooms.  Plenty of power on tap here to drive the HE-500; my hearing tops out at about 3 o'clock.  It's got a little better bass extension than the DA150, but it lacks some meat in the mid-range and just a touch of sparkle in the top end.  I think the extra current from the DA--even with the volume pot turned much lower--helps round out the sound a bit.  I utterly despise using completely meaningless terms like those, but there's nothing quantitative to support my claims.  I'm probably going to keep both and use the DA at my desk and the Topping will stay in my hooch when I'm not traveling.  For $80, I think it's fantastic.

 

Also, if any of you are hardcore bassheads like myself, toss the ZO2 in your chain as a preamp.  It's a ridiculously fun combination.

post #258 of 3607

anyone compare this to the mjolnir/gungnir combo?thought?

post #259 of 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzoylmethyl View Post

@zoom: if you're getting the new HE-500 and know anyone who does any electronics work at all, they can put the banana plugs on for you in about 10 minutes for the cost of the plugs.  The new cable from hifiman is really, really nice.  If not, check with Chris_himself.  He works pretty cheap and does good work--I can give you his gmail if you'd like.

 

Hey Benzo, if you could give me the contact info, that'd be great. Currently, I have the HE-500 with the stock silver cable - if that's what you are referring to?

post #260 of 3607

Hey there, C17H21NO!

 

Within seconds of my asking about Topping's amps, you've posted your mini-review of the TP21.  These things have really peaked my interest.  It's hard to ignore the prices?

 

How does a Topping TP60 or an Emotiva mini-X a-100 fall short of far more expensive desktop amps that are capable of driving an HE-6 nicely?

 

What's the down side of taking this route?  

 

blink.gif

 

I can live without multiple inputs and outputs, fancy cabinetry, and good looks.  I'm wondering what's missing in terms of sonic performance.

 

Thanks!

 

C8H10N4O2   (1,3,7-trimethylxanthine)

post #261 of 3607

You guys suck... I was the only one who went out on a limb with emotiva, when everyone else talked about it, but wouldn't bite, and NOW you start a party thread without me?!?!??!

 

 

Seriously though, this amp is stellar to pair with all the Hifiman headphones. It easily tops any headphone amplifier up to about $600 when hooked up to Orthos. Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022 is also a really great amp. To compare the two, I would say the emotiva is a little more 'musical' and less detailed than the Topping. The Topping is very detailed, clear but also a little drier. Also the Emotiva adds a nice little bass bump to the HE-6 that I really like, and also tightens up the bass on the HE-400. When I hooked up the emotiva to the HE-400, it was a really neat pairing. 

post #262 of 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Hey Benzo, if you could give me the contact info, that'd be great. Currently, I have the HE-500 with the stock silver cable - if that's what you are referring to?


Yeah, the stock silver cable.  One of the reasons people (Mal included) had for forging a whole new cable was to replace the old-school rubber coated one that hifiman used to ship with the 500.  The new bare braided silver cable is shorter and much more svelte.  If you know anyone who can cannibalize your stock cable and you don't mind sacrificing it, that's by far the most cost-effective way to go.  Otherwise, I PM'd you Chris's info.

post #263 of 3607

Thanks for that comparison elwappo99!

 

Mike

post #264 of 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzoylmethyl View Post


Yeah, the stock silver cable.  One of the reasons people (Mal included) had for forging a whole new cable was to replace the old-school rubber coated one that hifiman used to ship with the 500.  The new bare braided silver cable is shorter and much more svelte.  If you know anyone who can cannibalize your stock cable and you don't mind sacrificing it, that's by far the most cost-effective way to go.  Otherwise, I PM'd you Chris's info.

 

Probably will contact Chris if I go down the speaker amps route. 

 

Also does anyone here have experience with HE-500 and Burson Audio Soloist? Either in comparison to Emotiva or others? Especially concerned about the bass for electronic with Soloist and speed. 

post #265 of 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Probably will contact Chris if I go down the speaker amps route. 

 

Also does anyone here have experience with HE-500 and Burson Audio Soloist? Either in comparison to Emotiva or others? Especially concerned about the bass for electronic with Soloist and speed. 

 

Well, aside from $800, I doubt very seriously there is much difference.  I listen almost exclusively to hip hop and electronic (dubstep, d&b) when I work--which is where I do the bulk of my listening--and the DA150 performs excellently.  There is very little difference between it and the TP21, little enough that it would come down to nothing more than form factor if I were forced to choose between them.  From everything Mal said it seems he feels the same way about the Emotiva. 

 

Seriously, for this little of an investment ($150 for DA, $80 for Topping, $200-ish for Emotiva) you guys should really just give them a shot.  Personally, I'm a gigantic cynic who thinks the hype words that are used to justify spending $1000+ on an electronic device that literally does nothing more than amplify an analog signal are a bunch of hyperbolic crap.  Find a decent DAC (by chip, not by name brand or price), buy a reasonably priced amplifier that delivers enough power and doesn't have a bunch of junk in the signal path, then blow everything else on an outstanding pair of headphones.  Since you're in this thread, you've either already done or are considering the latter. 

 

Quit your worrying over whether or not a $200 amplifier is going to do the trick--it will--and start thinking about how much booze $800 will buy.

post #266 of 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

Hey preproman,

 

Thanks for the link from the T1 thread.

 

I read your survey of different HPs with this Emotiva amp - very well written - and the traits you ascribe to each headphone very much ring true for me against my limited experience with those headphones but much reading of reviews.  biggrin.gif

 

And I'm really blown away by the current price of the mini-X a-100  - only $179.  Seriously?   

 

Have you tried the Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022  (T-amp)? 

 

It has more or less the same specs (50Wpc into 8 Ohms) as the Emotiva, but I've only recently heard about them, too.

 

I've searched this thread briefly, but haven't found any mention of the Topping amp.

 

I've never heard either one - just wondering if you or anyone else has done a comparison.

 

Thanks!

 

Mike

 

 

first time I've seen this.  Looks like it's a class T amp.  I have no experience with class T amps.  Also, Is there a company website to visit?  I like Emotiva because their a company with more products and the customer service is outstanding.  Plus they give you a full spec sheet on the product you're interested in.  Also, they have a forum like this one where you can ask questions about the products.

post #267 of 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

You guys suck... I was the only one who went out on a limb with emotiva, when everyone else talked about it, but wouldn't bite, and NOW you start a party thread without me?!?!??!

 

 

Seriously though, this amp is stellar to pair with all the Hifiman headphones. It easily tops any headphone amplifier up to about $600 when hooked up to Orthos. Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022 is also a really great amp. To compare the two, I would say the emotiva is a little more 'musical' and less detailed than the Topping. The Topping is very detailed, clear but also a little drier. Also the Emotiva adds a nice little bass bump to the HE-6 that I really like, and also tightens up the bass on the HE-400. When I hooked up the emotiva to the HE-400, it was a really neat pairing. 

 

 

Yep,

 

You sure was.  In one of the HE-6 threads.  I remember you did a comparison with your LD VI+ and another amp.  Could you post that review here as well?

post #268 of 3607
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Thanks, good to know. How do you find the bass with the emotiva on these in comparison to Lyr? Is it faster on one of them? I'm looking for a punch while still maintaining good quantity and extension.

 

Also, I'm quite interested in getting one of those cables from Brian as well. Since you have dealt with him couple of times and also got one made for the HE-500, do you know roughly how much it will cost for a (banana?) cable that connects the HE-500 directly to the emotiva? Not looking for anything fancy like your setup as I'm trying to keep the price down :) 

 

From your pictures, it's good to know that I don't need a resistor like the HE-adapter. 

 

Heya,

 

The bass is well controlled, plenty of texture, extension goes all the way. I do find it a touch faster on the Emotiva, there's more black space.


The adapter for a banana speaker tap to whatever termination should only be like $40 or so from multiple different makers, it's not expensive unless you get into a full cable with multiple adapters and mini-xlr and all that. If you keep it simple it's very inexpensive and just as functional.

 

Very best,

post #269 of 3607
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Yep,

 

You sure was.  In one of the HE-6 threads.  I remember you did a comparison with your LD VI+ and another amp.  Could you post that review here as well?

 

I too would like to see that review, I believe the other amp was the nfb-10se. It's somewhere hidden in that he-6 thread tongue_smile.gif

 

 

Just a head ups on emotiva's service..THEY ROCK!

 

I received my a-100 on Tuesday and sadly it had some dents and a scratchy volume knob. Called them up and they're sending a replacement and paying for the return on the one I currently have.


Edited by kidchunks - 11/29/12 at 5:34am
post #270 of 3607

I may be getting two xpa-100 monos for my HE-6, but I'm having big doubts that it would sound better than me vintage Sansui Eight Deluxe.

 

I'll let you guys know in the holidays after exam sessions

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project