- 8,953 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Limbo
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Purchase link:http://www.aliexpress.com/item/TC200/32633785024.html I was a strong believer that the more expensive the headphones are the better they sound. After hearing Earbell (or Mrice) E100,...
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
Most people hate this headphone because of annoying treble spike and low mid treble but if just need to tweek EQ to see its potential.
overall great headphone at its price.
Disclaimer: The Meze 99 Classics were send to me as part of their European Tour. Impression are based on around a week of intensive usage. Preamble: First of all, welcome to another review here...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 170post #2536 of 378812/7/13 at 6:34amI know the mini X gets the press here but don't ignore better speaker amps. The better quality amps will have no noise floor and you will find even more of what the X is offering.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2537 of 378812/7/13 at 6:36am
I have tried it a couple of different ways. PS Audio DLiii dac into input on the Mini-X and also DLiii dac into Soloist and then using Soloist as preamp into Mini-X. I'm experimenting at the moment as to how best implement the Mini-X into my system.post #2538 of 378812/7/13 at 6:41am
The more powerful the speaker amp the more likely you'll need attenuation resistors like shown above to reduce hiss and give you more useable volume knob movement, but with the right resistors it should work. With 140+ watts per channel you'll need more resistance for more attenuation and probably higher watt rated resistors.
Edited by robrob - 12/7/13 at 6:47ampost #2539 of 378812/7/13 at 8:04ampost #2540 of 378812/7/13 at 8:05amQuote:
Great! that is about the same with me. That is about the best you can do without a resistor box. Good connections and grounding can make a bit of difference.post #2541 of 378812/7/13 at 10:58amQuote:
And what amp would that be? TBI MG3 at $500. How much better are we talking about here at 3x the cost? I have read couple reviews comparing the 2 and don't believe that we are even looking at obvious/significant improvements. It was more like personal subjective preferences. At $169 + adapter cost and the SQ/performance the Mini-x offers, IMO, it is the performance/price king for the HE500 (excluding old vintage amps, of course)post #2542 of 378812/7/13 at 11:14am
I don't think anyone is making the claim that the Emotiva is the best sounding speaker amp for headphones, just that it's very good for the price. It seems obvious that better is out there. Something is always better. If I were loaded, I'd get some Pass Labs XA60 monoblocks for my headphones, that would be the schiitpost #2543 of 378812/7/13 at 11:20amI want to try the mini-x but unfortunately not so accessible in Oz. I missed out on a used TBi Millenia for about $200 (aud) so in my anger spent about the same for a TP60 which yielded good results also.
Is use my TP60 (50w@8ohms) without a resistor box even on my HD600s. My Audio Gd 15.32 DAC seems to be able to control volume output.post #2544 of 378812/7/13 at 1:16pmpost #2545 of 378812/7/13 at 1:54pmQuote:
I'm not totally sure on the ground, but I thought the unit has 2 amplifiers in it. I'd be very interested to hear how it sounds.post #2546 of 378812/7/13 at 3:32pmQuote:
Not 100% sure but you can contact them. What I did find officially was this.
Yes, the XPA-2, XPA-3, and XPA-5 are "common ground amps" and will work fine with the Polks.
Our DIFFERENTIAL REFERENCE AMPS (the XPA-1, XPR-1, and XPA-1L) are NOT, and you must NOT connect their negative speaker terminals to ground, or to each other.post #2547 of 378812/7/13 at 6:22pmQuote:
Usually the truly balanced non-common ground amps are marked as "differential reference", but I would call Emotiva and ask just in case. They're very nice and helpful.post #2548 of 378812/7/13 at 6:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by Taowolf51
Usually the truly balanced non-common ground amps are marked as "differential reference", but I would call Emotiva and ask just in case. They're very nice and helpful.
I have wrote an email. Well, I'll buy it anyway and it probably has common ground. That would be nice, as it would make sense to use it for my other headphones with an adapter/box.post #2549 of 378812/7/13 at 6:41pmQuote:
Do you have the MiniX? If so, would love to hear a comparison.
Looked on the website on their other amps, and if I had unlimited money to blow, the XPA-1L sure looks interesting. Get two of them, and use a balanced setup on the HE-500 with 4-pin XLR (what I already have). Interesting thing about that amp is that it has a Class A mode that runs only 35 watts. But your stereo amplifier in the UPA-200 sounds interesting as well, though not sure if there would be a problem in too much power. I definitely support this kind of test new things mentality! For myself, definitely found a gem using the Quickie as a preamp to the MiniX. Let us know how it goes and sounds!post #2550 of 378812/7/13 at 7:00pm
I wanted to start dabbling in the DIY stuff. This is a fantastic place to start (the quickie)... I'm really turned off by the idea of a random colored board though, anyone know if I can pay more to have a specific color or something?
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Save 15% on Cary Audio Dacs, Amps, & More - Limited Time Savings 35 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › The top bang-for-the-buck earbuds from FiiO,EM3 review recruitment... 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 6 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 9 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver IEM vs HiFiMAN RE-400? 9 minutes ago
- › Moon Audio Silver 3ft USB Mini B Cable 11 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 12 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 12 minutes ago
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by twister6
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › Dunu TITAN 3 by mark2410
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by moedawg140
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Decommo
- › Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon) by ryanjsoo
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse