or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 167

post #2491 of 3790

I am very curious about the mini-x pairing with the quickie. will be receiving a mini-x soon so I might dabble in DIY. I also have a lyr and wonder if anyone ( Malveaux ?) has ever tried it as a preamp.

post #2492 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

Ok just built everything needed to connect the HE-500's to the Emotiva and omg... eargasms guys. 
This is the perfect headphone system, just to add a good DAC and I'm done guis
Plus I might recable everything to silver when I have the time :D
Amazing stuff!

 

Hey can you tell me where you got all the cables and connectors to connect them? I think I might be following this path :)

post #2493 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinze View Post
 

 

Hey can you tell me where you got all the cables and connectors to connect them? I think I might be following this path :)

Cheapest way would be to build an adaptor (female 1/4" connector to 4 banana plugs) and connect your stock headphone cable into it

So all you need is a female 1/4" connector, 4 banana plugs, cable, solder iron, solder. Basically all you need. Might get all little messy though :P But it will save you money in the long run if you want to build more cables

post #2494 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

Cheapest way would be to build an adaptor (female 1/4" connector to 4 banana plugs) and connect your stock headphone cable into it

So all you need is a female 1/4" connector, 4 banana plugs, cable, solder iron, solder. Basically all you need. Might get all little messy though :P But it will save you money in the long run if you want to build more cables

If you get a Switchcraft 1230, you don't need to solder, which may make it easier for those who don't like to solder.

post #2495 of 3790
Quote:
 You'll probably want to buy/make a resistor/adaptor box for it to work with low impedance phones.

 

Hey guys I've been working with the guru's over on the "Speaker Amps for Headphones" thread and I've built a detailed Excel spreadsheet Headphone Resistor Network Calculator and put up a webpage JavaScript network calculator that uses just the standard two resistor design. It's still in beta testing but I'm pretty sure it's completely accurate now. You can use them to determine the best resistor values for your headphones and speaker amp.

 

What I've learned so far by playing around with different values:

 

With my 32 ohm HE-500 cans with my tube speaker amp that wants an 8 ohm speaker load the best solution is a 6 ohm Resistor2 and a 2 ohm Resistor3. It gives me an almost perfect Effective Speaker Load of 7.9 and a nice low Effective Headphone Output Impedance of 1.5 with -12.4dB of Attenuation. I was really surprised to see that changing the headphone impedance from 32 ohms to 600 ohms changed the speaker load by only 0.1 ohm and Attenuation by 0.3dB so a 6 & 2 ohm network will be optimal for most headphones and amps that need attenuation for hiss reduction or more volume knob movement.

post #2496 of 3790

Isn't the standard plug for HE-500 1/8" ?

 

I don't plan on getting an "upgraded" cable in the future, not a believer.

post #2497 of 3790
Great. If we can eliminate the hiss of Emotiva X A-100s, which is a common problem, when pairing with many headphones then it could make more people want to know and use Emotiva with in trust. That is a great idea.
post #2498 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinze View Post
 

Isn't the standard plug for HE-500 1/8" ?

 

I don't plan on getting an "upgraded" cable in the future, not a believer.

Mine came with a 1/4" (6.3mm) TRS plug.

post #2499 of 3790

The 2 resistor adapters that I had ordered came in today

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-to-ER4S-6-35-to-3-5mm-resistor-adaptor/281188408675?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D163%26meid%3D3174237828505141239%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290372905689%26

 

One is 75 ohms, the other is 300 ohms

 

The noise floor on my LCD-2 is eliminated with the 75 ohm adapter.  no need to go higher than that unless you want more play with the volume knob.  75 ohms should be enough for the he-500 as well 

 

I was actually listening to my koss ksc75 off the emotiva using the 300 ohm adapter earlier and they sounded pretty damn good

 

Its hard for me to tell if I hear any loss in audio quality using the resistor adapter.  I've been doing some A/B comparisons, but havent been able to come to a conclusion thus far.  

post #2500 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336 View Post

 

I was actually listening to my koss ksc75 off the emotiva using the 300 ohm adapter earlier and they sounded pretty damn good

 


I have the same adapter, and I used it to listen to my Nuforce IEMs on the Emotiva. There's a tiny bit of noise but not much. Fun stuff. 

I don't think the adapter affects SQ much, but I've got some non-inductive, wirewound Vishay resistors coming in the mail, and I'll report back if they sound any better. 

post #2501 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post
 
Quote:
 You'll probably want to buy/make a resistor/adaptor box for it to work with low impedance phones.

 

Hey guys I've been working with the guru's over on the "Speaker Amps for Headphones" thread and I've built a detailed Excel spreadsheet Headphone Resistor Network Calculator and put up a webpage JavaScript network calculator that uses just the standard two resistor design. It's still in beta testing but I'm pretty sure it's completely accurate now. You can use them to determine the best resistor values for your headphones and speaker amp.

 

What I've learned so far by playing around with different values:

 

With my 32 ohm HE-500 cans with my tube speaker amp that wants an 8 ohm speaker load the best solution is a 6 ohm Resistor2 and a 2 ohm Resistor3. It gives me an almost perfect Effective Speaker Load of 7.9 and a nice low Effective Headphone Output Impedance of 1.5 with -12.4dB of Attenuation. I was really surprised to see that changing the headphone impedance from 32 ohms to 600 ohms changed the speaker load by only 0.1 ohm and Attenuation by 0.3dB so a 6 & 2 ohm network will be optimal for most headphones and amps that need attenuation for hiss reduction or more volume knob movement.

Great! Would be pretty nice if you could make a similar model for single-ended.

post #2502 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Great! Would be pretty nice if you could make a similar model for single-ended.

That's a good idea for a next project.

post #2503 of 3790

Yeah, it shouldn't be that hard. Brb digging in the thread.

^I don't take credit for that.


Edited by davidsh - 12/5/13 at 8:13am
post #2504 of 3790

Yea, that's my model. I'm asking for input on improvements on the "speaker amps for headphones" thread.

 

It's the balanced "preferred" two resistor model with the addition of two parallel to ground resistors.


Edited by robrob - 12/5/13 at 9:33am
post #2505 of 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post

Yea, that's my model. I'm asking for input on improvements on the "speaker amps for headphones" thread.



It's the balanced "preferred" two resistor model with the addition of two parallel to ground resistors.

Omg I have a resistor box made by TBI that has interference issues for piano notes and other high frequency noises. I believe it is based on the first Picture and I believe it is bare wire for the ground. Could this be my problem? I even sent the box back cause it has been bugging the heck out of me.

All I need is a cable shield? Omg:-D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project