Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 146

post #2176 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadie View Post
 

The color dots are on the underside of the black speaker tap sleeve.  :smile: 

 

Awesome! I just put an order in for one of these. Can't wait until next week!

post #2177 of 3660
Can anyone else still hear their source music with the mini-x even when the volume pot is at 0? I can, it's very low.
post #2178 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

Can anyone else still hear their source music with the mini-x even when the volume pot is at 0? I can, it's very low.

 

Couldn't hear it with any of my DAC's or sources with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3.

post #2179 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

Couldn't hear it with any of my DAC's or sources with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3.
Maybe my pot doesn't actually zero out before it hits the internal stop.
post #2180 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post


Maybe my pot doesn't actually zero out before it hits the internal stop.

 

Yea, it could either be variations in Emotiva and/or headphones. A lot of people get ground floor with HE-500. I got lucky in that case. Perfectly dead silent. Could've been the impedance and sensitivity variation on my piece in particular. I remember Hifimans having a lot of variations early on and people would be measuring both channels themselves. 

post #2181 of 3660

I know this is a solid state, but lately I've been noticing it to have some tubeish properties. It sounds better when left on between listening sessions, rather than being turned off. I've left the headphones plugged in at a consistent volume and haven't turned the amp off in like 5 days. It sounds really good each time I hit play on my cd player (which I also left on) and resume. Each sessions sounds a bit more fuller and transparent in comparison to turning off the amp between each sitting. $0.05

post #2182 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

Can anyone else still hear their source music with the mini-x even when the volume pot is at 0? I can, it's very low.

I would not be surprised if that happens. Most gain pots do not really turn off completely when they are at zero. The pot will still have some measurable very high resistance at  zero unless the pot has a built in cut off switch. If the amp is connected to speakers I believe that you will not hear anything at zero. It is the only amp that Emotiva sells that have that big volume port on the front.  I use the pot more like a limiter. I use J.River Media Center to control the signal going into the amp. I use the Internal Volume of J.River not the windows system volume. This way I can use the 64bit J.River audio engine for volume control even with the WASAPI or the ASIO audio driver that bypass the Windows mixer control. This gives the best quality of software volume control.   Another option I turn on in J.River is Volume protection which is another layer of protection for sudden volume jumps using the volume slider for example.  Important if you using a powerful amp. You can also limit the max volume level to something below 100% if you like.  J.River is one of the best audio playback software for the Windows platform.

post #2183 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

I know this is a solid state, but lately I've been noticing it to have some tubeish properties. It sounds better when left on between listening sessions, rather than being turned off. I've left the headphones plugged in at a consistent volume and haven't turned the amp off in like 5 days. It sounds really good each time I hit play on my cd player (which I also left on) and resume. Each sessions sounds a bit more fuller and transparent in comparison to turning off the amp between each sitting. $0.05

Mine has been on since the day it came home so I can't tell the difference.  :D

post #2184 of 3660

Just joined the Emotiva Club.

 

Here's me resurrecting my long-dormant soldering skills:

 

 

Either Fry's didn't have a 1/4" headphone extension cable, or I couldn't find it, so I made this from a stereo jack, some 14AWG hookup wire, and some banana plugs.

 

 

Sounds absolutely amazing for $169 plus some soldering time!

post #2185 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-eyed-xander View Post
 

Just joined the Emotiva Club.

 

Here's me resurrecting my long-dormant soldering skills:

 

 

Either Fry's didn't have a 1/4" headphone extension cable, or I couldn't find it, so I made this from a stereo jack, some 14AWG hookup wire, and some banana plugs.

 

 

Sounds absolutely amazing for $169 plus some soldering time!

 

 

Welcome to the club :beerchug:

 

 

Good work Buffy

post #2186 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Mine has been on since the day it came home so I can't tell the difference.  :D

 

Really!? :eek:

 

You've had it for like a few months now. Give it a break, poor Emo.

 

BTW just realized that I actually haven't used the auto turn off switch…like ever. Either OFF or always ON. Never that auto switch off at 30 minute.

post #2187 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

 

Really!? :eek:

 

You've had it for like a few months now. Give it a break, poor Emo.

 

BTW just realized that I actually haven't used the auto turn off switch…like ever. Either OFF or always ON. Never that auto switch off at 30 minute.

Ahhh, Mine has been on the auto switch.  So when there's no signal for a while, the amp goes into sleep mode(amber LED) but technically still powered vs. cutting off completely when turning the power switch to off.  It takes about 2, 3 seconds for the LED to go blue from amber and you are ready to go again.

post #2188 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post


Maybe my pot doesn't actually zero out before it hits the internal stop.

 

Exactly.

post #2189 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidz View Post

I'm confused as to what to do next.

My previous Emotiva - now returned, hissed at 35% volume on the pot, and had a low level hum even when the Volume Pot was turned all the way down.  The hum wasn't too bad, but with no sound playing you could definitely hear it.  Since returning my Emotiva as there was a static issue with the Volume Pot, I've had nothing to pair with my He-500's.

I've been Amp'less for about two months and looking to buy another amp end of this month so I can get back down to enjoying the He-500's.  The thing is it'll have to be one with speaker taps as i snipped the He-500's wire, unless I buy another cable of course.

The low level hum bothered me on the Mini X, any tiny flaws bother me and I spend hours trying to fix them rather than enjoying my gear - I'm sure others can relate.

I've since upgraded my Dac from an internal sound card to an external, The Musical Fidelity M1, I'm wondering if this would pair nicely with the A100 - any thoughts/experience with both?

Shipping over here to the Uk from the US will cost a fair bit more than US folk pay, and to find out the low level Hum is still present with a new unit would just drive me Crazy.  What's the next best thing without a hum? 
For those having noise floor issues with the HE-500 cans, put a ten ohm/10 watt resistor across the positive and negative speaker post of each channel and that will bring the load closer to the normal 8 ohm rating of the amp. To see if it's a ground loop problem, you could use a three to two prong adapter at your power plug and see if it goes away. This is not recommended as a permanent solution (though many have) but can give you a quick verification if it's part of your electrical system or the amp.
post #2190 of 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Ahhh, Mine has been on the auto switch.  So when there's no signal for a while, the amp goes into sleep mode(amber LED) but technically still powered vs. cutting off completely when turning the power switch to off.  It takes about 2, 3 seconds for the LED to go blue from amber and you are ready to go again.

 

Oh ok, I see. The only reason I don't do that with Emotiva when hooked to headphones is because of that pop when you turn the amp on/off. Just for the safety of the drivers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project