- 4,992 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Before I begin, I’d like to thank shotgunshane for the opportunity to review these new headphones. My first experience with Brainwavz was when I picked up their M4 a couple of years ago. I was...
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 140post #2086 of 363910/29/13 at 3:05pmPreamp not necessary. You'd hook up from stx RCA to emo RCA.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2087 of 363910/29/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
I have a couple of questions regarding the emotiva and the HE-500. First of all, is it necessary to have a preamp? Second of all, I would be using it from a asus xonar essence stx and considering that I'm relatively new to this, how would I hook it up?
Edit: I do have a banana plug btw.
Not really. You get enough volume knob play. Someone else will fill you in on the cable types.post #2088 of 363910/29/13 at 3:18pmpost #2089 of 363910/29/13 at 3:20pm
Sorry to ask but I don't really get much searching for the kind of cable I would need to connect them. Would you happen to know of a place where I can buy one?post #2090 of 363910/29/13 at 3:40pmQuote:
For emo->HE-500 you have 3 options. You can buy a custom made cable that terminates in banana plugs, you can go DIY with your cable, or you can get a jack to banana plugs adapter.
The addapter and DIY are 2 cheap options. The custom made cable will cost you more.
I don't know where you can buy an adapter.
For the STX->emo you'll just need two RCA to RCA cables, nothing fancy.post #2091 of 363910/29/13 at 3:43pmQuote:
For the asus xonar essence stx. Just a standard stereo RCA male to RCA male cable two on each end. If you are in USA any Radio Shack or Walmart will carry them.
Edited by john57 - 10/29/13 at 3:44pmpost #2092 of 363910/29/13 at 4:00pmpost #2093 of 363910/29/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
^absolutely no need at all. For cabling, if you are handy and have access to tools, you can go the extreme DIY route like I did.post #2094 of 363910/29/13 at 4:07pmQuote:
still very jealous of that DIY. It looks perfect.post #2095 of 363910/29/13 at 5:30pmQuote:
Woah, actually took me a second to see what you did there. Wow, that's pretty awesome! So O2 as a preamp is not necessary at all? If that's the case, why do some people need to preamp at all?post #2096 of 363910/29/13 at 5:46pmQuote:
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. For HP amps, using pre-amps is often said to give better definition and dynamic. This, I haven't had a chance to experience yet so I won't comment on whether it's true. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Also, if the O2 is not designed to be used as pre-amp, you will be double-amping which could have some negative side effects including distortion at certain volume.
Actually, when thinking about it, the Emotiva might even benefit from a weaker input signal. You will have more room to crank up the volume. I believe M-13's concero DAC output signal is not 2.0V. He probably could tell u more about this.
Edited by koiloco - 10/29/13 at 5:51pmpost #2097 of 363910/29/13 at 5:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by koiloco
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Ah I see. Well thanks for the info.post #2098 of 363910/29/13 at 6:33pmQuote:
Did you mean if the objective 2 has an advantage over the asus xonar essence stx? If this is the case the asus xonar essence stx will drive the Emotiva mini-X A-100 just fine. You are not driving a microphone over a long cable run. The asus xonar essence stx has very good signal to noise ratio and it is shielded for use in a PC. Is the objective 2 a headphone amp?post #2099 of 363910/29/13 at 6:40pmpost #2100 of 363910/29/13 at 7:03pm
My feeling if you have the asus xonar essence stx is to stick with it. The O2 is amp and if the output is too high it will overload the speaker amp inputs before it even gets to the outputs. There can be a impedance mismatch since it is not a pre-amp per say Using an amp to drive another amp is not always the best idea. I can give more tips later when I done the Emotiva mini-X A-100 installation and listening tests.
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › How do i make my hfi 780s alo-esque 32 seconds ago
- › Nooby here needing help. ATH M50's, DAC and Mixer questions.. 56 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Over-ear portable headphones 1 minute ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › V-moda m100 vs. NAD HP50 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)