- 5,638 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
Disclaimer: I received this earphone for free from the manufacturers. I did my best not to let that color my opinion on the product, but my impressions may not be entirely without bias. Shozy...
Introduction: The Effect Audio is a Singapore brand that is known by some famous aftermarket cables. They offer Ares and Thor series headphone/IEM cables as well as Piccolino Ultimate and Eros...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 140post #2086 of 378810/29/13 at 3:05pmPreamp not necessary. You'd hook up from stx RCA to emo RCA.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2087 of 378810/29/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
I have a couple of questions regarding the emotiva and the HE-500. First of all, is it necessary to have a preamp? Second of all, I would be using it from a asus xonar essence stx and considering that I'm relatively new to this, how would I hook it up?
Edit: I do have a banana plug btw.
Not really. You get enough volume knob play. Someone else will fill you in on the cable types.post #2088 of 378810/29/13 at 3:18pmpost #2089 of 378810/29/13 at 3:20pm
Sorry to ask but I don't really get much searching for the kind of cable I would need to connect them. Would you happen to know of a place where I can buy one?post #2090 of 378810/29/13 at 3:40pmQuote:
For emo->HE-500 you have 3 options. You can buy a custom made cable that terminates in banana plugs, you can go DIY with your cable, or you can get a jack to banana plugs adapter.
The addapter and DIY are 2 cheap options. The custom made cable will cost you more.
I don't know where you can buy an adapter.
For the STX->emo you'll just need two RCA to RCA cables, nothing fancy.post #2091 of 378810/29/13 at 3:43pmQuote:
For the asus xonar essence stx. Just a standard stereo RCA male to RCA male cable two on each end. If you are in USA any Radio Shack or Walmart will carry them.
Edited by john57 - 10/29/13 at 3:44pmpost #2092 of 378810/29/13 at 4:00pmpost #2093 of 378810/29/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
^absolutely no need at all. For cabling, if you are handy and have access to tools, you can go the extreme DIY route like I did.post #2094 of 378810/29/13 at 4:07pmQuote:
still very jealous of that DIY. It looks perfect.post #2095 of 378810/29/13 at 5:30pmQuote:
Woah, actually took me a second to see what you did there. Wow, that's pretty awesome! So O2 as a preamp is not necessary at all? If that's the case, why do some people need to preamp at all?post #2096 of 378810/29/13 at 5:46pmQuote:
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. For HP amps, using pre-amps is often said to give better definition and dynamic. This, I haven't had a chance to experience yet so I won't comment on whether it's true. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Also, if the O2 is not designed to be used as pre-amp, you will be double-amping which could have some negative side effects including distortion at certain volume.
Actually, when thinking about it, the Emotiva might even benefit from a weaker input signal. You will have more room to crank up the volume. I believe M-13's concero DAC output signal is not 2.0V. He probably could tell u more about this.
Edited by koiloco - 10/29/13 at 5:51pmpost #2097 of 378810/29/13 at 5:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by koiloco
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Ah I see. Well thanks for the info.post #2098 of 378810/29/13 at 6:33pmQuote:
Did you mean if the objective 2 has an advantage over the asus xonar essence stx? If this is the case the asus xonar essence stx will drive the Emotiva mini-X A-100 just fine. You are not driving a microphone over a long cable run. The asus xonar essence stx has very good signal to noise ratio and it is shielded for use in a PC. Is the objective 2 a headphone amp?post #2099 of 378810/29/13 at 6:40pmpost #2100 of 378810/29/13 at 7:03pm
My feeling if you have the asus xonar essence stx is to stick with it. The O2 is amp and if the output is too high it will overload the speaker amp inputs before it even gets to the outputs. There can be a impedance mismatch since it is not a pre-amp per say Using an amp to drive another amp is not always the best idea. I can give more tips later when I done the Emotiva mini-X A-100 installation and listening tests.
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The discovery thread.! 42 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Double Helix Cables Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Project Ember with SuperCharger + FREE $335+ worth of tubes etc... 4 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 8 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 9 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 10 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 13 minutes ago
- › FS: hd650 4-pin balanced XLR cable, dhc cable and furutech connector 15 minutes ago
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by getclikinagas
- › Yulong U100 by Spork67
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...