- 5,634 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
-- I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone: **A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**: #1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the...
I really like the t-90; I have had them for about two months and really enjoy the brightness. I also have the T70p and the t-5p second gen. I like the t70p better than anything so far. The t 90...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 140post #2086 of 378810/29/13 at 3:05pmPreamp not necessary. You'd hook up from stx RCA to emo RCA.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2087 of 378810/29/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
I have a couple of questions regarding the emotiva and the HE-500. First of all, is it necessary to have a preamp? Second of all, I would be using it from a asus xonar essence stx and considering that I'm relatively new to this, how would I hook it up?
Edit: I do have a banana plug btw.
Not really. You get enough volume knob play. Someone else will fill you in on the cable types.post #2088 of 378810/29/13 at 3:18pmpost #2089 of 378810/29/13 at 3:20pm
Sorry to ask but I don't really get much searching for the kind of cable I would need to connect them. Would you happen to know of a place where I can buy one?post #2090 of 378810/29/13 at 3:40pmQuote:
For emo->HE-500 you have 3 options. You can buy a custom made cable that terminates in banana plugs, you can go DIY with your cable, or you can get a jack to banana plugs adapter.
The addapter and DIY are 2 cheap options. The custom made cable will cost you more.
I don't know where you can buy an adapter.
For the STX->emo you'll just need two RCA to RCA cables, nothing fancy.post #2091 of 378810/29/13 at 3:43pmQuote:
For the asus xonar essence stx. Just a standard stereo RCA male to RCA male cable two on each end. If you are in USA any Radio Shack or Walmart will carry them.
Edited by john57 - 10/29/13 at 3:44pmpost #2092 of 378810/29/13 at 4:00pmpost #2093 of 378810/29/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
^absolutely no need at all. For cabling, if you are handy and have access to tools, you can go the extreme DIY route like I did.post #2094 of 378810/29/13 at 4:07pmQuote:
still very jealous of that DIY. It looks perfect.post #2095 of 378810/29/13 at 5:30pmQuote:
Woah, actually took me a second to see what you did there. Wow, that's pretty awesome! So O2 as a preamp is not necessary at all? If that's the case, why do some people need to preamp at all?post #2096 of 378810/29/13 at 5:46pmQuote:
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. For HP amps, using pre-amps is often said to give better definition and dynamic. This, I haven't had a chance to experience yet so I won't comment on whether it's true. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Also, if the O2 is not designed to be used as pre-amp, you will be double-amping which could have some negative side effects including distortion at certain volume.
Actually, when thinking about it, the Emotiva might even benefit from a weaker input signal. You will have more room to crank up the volume. I believe M-13's concero DAC output signal is not 2.0V. He probably could tell u more about this.
Edited by koiloco - 10/29/13 at 5:51pmpost #2097 of 378810/29/13 at 5:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by koiloco
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Ah I see. Well thanks for the info.post #2098 of 378810/29/13 at 6:33pmQuote:
Did you mean if the objective 2 has an advantage over the asus xonar essence stx? If this is the case the asus xonar essence stx will drive the Emotiva mini-X A-100 just fine. You are not driving a microphone over a long cable run. The asus xonar essence stx has very good signal to noise ratio and it is shielded for use in a PC. Is the objective 2 a headphone amp?post #2099 of 378810/29/13 at 6:40pmpost #2100 of 378810/29/13 at 7:03pm
My feeling if you have the asus xonar essence stx is to stick with it. The O2 is amp and if the output is too high it will overload the speaker amp inputs before it even gets to the outputs. There can be a impedance mismatch since it is not a pre-amp per say Using an amp to drive another amp is not always the best idea. I can give more tips later when I done the Emotiva mini-X A-100 installation and listening tests.
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Best on-the-shelf AMP for Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart ? 39 seconds ago
- › 2015 Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable Player -... 44 seconds ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 1 minute ago
- › The Reference 6SN7 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 4 minutes ago
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 4 minutes ago
- › [Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED] 4 minutes ago
- › Headphone burn out 5 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 6 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 7 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse