- 5,638 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
I think it is more of a smartphone gadget, than audiophiles device. It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. My subjective review of the sound: A little...
Introduction Simgot is a new name in Asian audio that is getting some attention with their new EN700 model. Supposedly, some that were involved in tuning the Ostry IEMs have tuned this one, so...
Have had these for a loooong time. Now that I've got older ears, I don't really hear the beautiful crystal-like treble anymore, but I'm sure it's still there. :)
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 140post #2086 of 378910/29/13 at 3:05pmPreamp not necessary. You'd hook up from stx RCA to emo RCA.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2087 of 378910/29/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
I have a couple of questions regarding the emotiva and the HE-500. First of all, is it necessary to have a preamp? Second of all, I would be using it from a asus xonar essence stx and considering that I'm relatively new to this, how would I hook it up?
Edit: I do have a banana plug btw.
Not really. You get enough volume knob play. Someone else will fill you in on the cable types.post #2088 of 378910/29/13 at 3:18pmpost #2089 of 378910/29/13 at 3:20pm
Sorry to ask but I don't really get much searching for the kind of cable I would need to connect them. Would you happen to know of a place where I can buy one?post #2090 of 378910/29/13 at 3:40pmQuote:
For emo->HE-500 you have 3 options. You can buy a custom made cable that terminates in banana plugs, you can go DIY with your cable, or you can get a jack to banana plugs adapter.
The addapter and DIY are 2 cheap options. The custom made cable will cost you more.
I don't know where you can buy an adapter.
For the STX->emo you'll just need two RCA to RCA cables, nothing fancy.post #2091 of 378910/29/13 at 3:43pmQuote:
For the asus xonar essence stx. Just a standard stereo RCA male to RCA male cable two on each end. If you are in USA any Radio Shack or Walmart will carry them.
Edited by john57 - 10/29/13 at 3:44pmpost #2092 of 378910/29/13 at 4:00pmpost #2093 of 378910/29/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
^absolutely no need at all. For cabling, if you are handy and have access to tools, you can go the extreme DIY route like I did.post #2094 of 378910/29/13 at 4:07pmQuote:
still very jealous of that DIY. It looks perfect.post #2095 of 378910/29/13 at 5:30pmQuote:
Woah, actually took me a second to see what you did there. Wow, that's pretty awesome! So O2 as a preamp is not necessary at all? If that's the case, why do some people need to preamp at all?post #2096 of 378910/29/13 at 5:46pmQuote:
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. For HP amps, using pre-amps is often said to give better definition and dynamic. This, I haven't had a chance to experience yet so I won't comment on whether it's true. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Also, if the O2 is not designed to be used as pre-amp, you will be double-amping which could have some negative side effects including distortion at certain volume.
Actually, when thinking about it, the Emotiva might even benefit from a weaker input signal. You will have more room to crank up the volume. I believe M-13's concero DAC output signal is not 2.0V. He probably could tell u more about this.
Edited by koiloco - 10/29/13 at 5:51pmpost #2097 of 378910/29/13 at 5:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by koiloco
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Ah I see. Well thanks for the info.post #2098 of 378910/29/13 at 6:33pmQuote:
Did you mean if the objective 2 has an advantage over the asus xonar essence stx? If this is the case the asus xonar essence stx will drive the Emotiva mini-X A-100 just fine. You are not driving a microphone over a long cable run. The asus xonar essence stx has very good signal to noise ratio and it is shielded for use in a PC. Is the objective 2 a headphone amp?post #2099 of 378910/29/13 at 6:40pmpost #2100 of 378910/29/13 at 7:03pm
My feeling if you have the asus xonar essence stx is to stick with it. The O2 is amp and if the output is too high it will overload the speaker amp inputs before it even gets to the outputs. There can be a impedance mismatch since it is not a pre-amp per say Using an amp to drive another amp is not always the best idea. I can give more tips later when I done the Emotiva mini-X A-100 installation and listening tests.
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Transform your Journey - Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless headphones... 23 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 48 seconds ago
- › Life after Yggdrasil? 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! 2 minutes ago
- › ShareMe 5 Bluetooth Headphone Impression and Reviews Wanted Globally 3 minutes ago
- › 6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 7 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...