- 5,359 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Denmark
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Level: Amateur Mostly Experience: First Personal Pair We can all agree it's been reviewed too much? Good. My turn please... I'm aware of the reputation these carry, how audio should sound...
I wrote this on Amazon, thought I'd share it with you all. Please, ask questions. Audio Technica has crafted a pair of headphones that might make you second guess your pair of MX50s, or any...
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 140post #2086 of 368410/29/13 at 3:05pmPreamp not necessary. You'd hook up from stx RCA to emo RCA.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2087 of 368410/29/13 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ethereal Sound
I have a couple of questions regarding the emotiva and the HE-500. First of all, is it necessary to have a preamp? Second of all, I would be using it from a asus xonar essence stx and considering that I'm relatively new to this, how would I hook it up?
Edit: I do have a banana plug btw.
Not really. You get enough volume knob play. Someone else will fill you in on the cable types.post #2088 of 368410/29/13 at 3:18pmpost #2089 of 368410/29/13 at 3:20pm
Sorry to ask but I don't really get much searching for the kind of cable I would need to connect them. Would you happen to know of a place where I can buy one?post #2090 of 368410/29/13 at 3:40pmQuote:
For emo->HE-500 you have 3 options. You can buy a custom made cable that terminates in banana plugs, you can go DIY with your cable, or you can get a jack to banana plugs adapter.
The addapter and DIY are 2 cheap options. The custom made cable will cost you more.
I don't know where you can buy an adapter.
For the STX->emo you'll just need two RCA to RCA cables, nothing fancy.post #2091 of 368410/29/13 at 3:43pmQuote:
For the asus xonar essence stx. Just a standard stereo RCA male to RCA male cable two on each end. If you are in USA any Radio Shack or Walmart will carry them.
Edited by john57 - 10/29/13 at 3:44pmpost #2092 of 368410/29/13 at 4:00pmpost #2093 of 368410/29/13 at 4:04pmQuote:
^absolutely no need at all. For cabling, if you are handy and have access to tools, you can go the extreme DIY route like I did.post #2094 of 368410/29/13 at 4:07pmQuote:
still very jealous of that DIY. It looks perfect.post #2095 of 368410/29/13 at 5:30pmQuote:
Woah, actually took me a second to see what you did there. Wow, that's pretty awesome! So O2 as a preamp is not necessary at all? If that's the case, why do some people need to preamp at all?post #2096 of 368410/29/13 at 5:46pmQuote:
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. For HP amps, using pre-amps is often said to give better definition and dynamic. This, I haven't had a chance to experience yet so I won't comment on whether it's true. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Also, if the O2 is not designed to be used as pre-amp, you will be double-amping which could have some negative side effects including distortion at certain volume.
Actually, when thinking about it, the Emotiva might even benefit from a weaker input signal. You will have more room to crank up the volume. I believe M-13's concero DAC output signal is not 2.0V. He probably could tell u more about this.
Edited by koiloco - 10/29/13 at 5:51pmpost #2097 of 368410/29/13 at 5:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by koiloco
One of the main reasons is that the input signal from their sources might not be high/strong enough to gain sufficient volume from the amp. These days, a lot of DACs and even sound card outputs are following a standard 2.0v unbalanced, double that or so for balanced output from the same component. These standards are not set in stone and not observed by all manufacturers. In pro-audio/recording, I use microphone pre-amp to have higher gain input while keeping noise level under control. There are other minor benefits of using pre-amps but generally, what I just said are the main ones.
Ah I see. Well thanks for the info.post #2098 of 368410/29/13 at 6:33pmQuote:
Did you mean if the objective 2 has an advantage over the asus xonar essence stx? If this is the case the asus xonar essence stx will drive the Emotiva mini-X A-100 just fine. You are not driving a microphone over a long cable run. The asus xonar essence stx has very good signal to noise ratio and it is shielded for use in a PC. Is the objective 2 a headphone amp?post #2099 of 368410/29/13 at 6:40pmpost #2100 of 368410/29/13 at 7:03pm
My feeling if you have the asus xonar essence stx is to stick with it. The O2 is amp and if the output is too high it will overload the speaker amp inputs before it even gets to the outputs. There can be a impedance mismatch since it is not a pre-amp per say Using an amp to drive another amp is not always the best idea. I can give more tips later when I done the Emotiva mini-X A-100 installation and listening tests.
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 10 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 1 minute ago
- › Looking for an office safe replacement for Sennheiser HD 595 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 3 minutes ago
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by ahnvx
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by LonghornTech
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2