Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
First, I would like to thank Shozy for sending me a pre-production model of the Zero in exchange for my honest opinion. My pre-production model arrived in a small package. Inside was the Zero...
Ghostek made its name in the phone accessory market. Its been building solid cases for a while now, and they’ve brought everything they’ve learned from making durable phone cases to the table...
INTRO:- Yup, I am back. This time around I have the Meelectronics M7P. This is an interesting piece of earphone. To be precise I had not seen one like this before. This one belongs to MEE...
Intro:- Yo yo… Back again with Rockjaw Audio Alfa genus V2. Rockjaw is not an unknown brand by any means, famous for their value for money earphones and are one of the few British brands in...
My review of Alfa genus V2 can be found here. http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-alfa-genus-v2-earphones-with-in-line-mic-3x-tuning-filters/reviews/16322 Sorry for the wrong post.
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 135post #2011 of 378810/25/13 at 3:43pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2012 of 378810/25/13 at 3:45pmYeaQuote:Yes, but insurance u know..Originally Posted by koilocoQuote:Will this work?
I buy it for you from Emotiva and ship it to you declared as a gift so $0. Will you still have to pay vat?post #2013 of 378810/25/13 at 4:17pmpost #2014 of 378810/25/13 at 4:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by elwappo99
Glad to know someone else is doing this!
Good information to have on the LCD-2s
Using XLR-->Adapter --> RCA inputs won't affect the noise floor, since the noise floor is coming from the amplifier itself
Your comment on price is something that really surprised me as well. Even with my little dot MKVI+ the emotiva definitely won me over using the HE-6 and HE-500. I was basically set on getting a Schiit Mjolnir, but I don't really see the point of it anymore.
Hmmm for HE-6, I think Emotiva is the way to go, and probably even for the HE-500. Not sure about the LCD-2 and LCD-3 though....I think preproman liked the Mjolnir over Emotiva for the LCD-3.post #2015 of 378810/25/13 at 4:51pm
The weird thing about the Emotiva is that it has no apparent weakness. Tonality, its neutral, no odd coloration anywhere; frequency extension in both ends are great, seperation, clarity is pretty nice and is surprisingly transparent of the source. I honestly think if this was a heapdhone amp it would cost a lot more money, and could be sold for a lot more $$$ under a different brand name with a headphone jack.
I think it does a great job with the LCD-2, but really shines with the HE-500. But yeah the LCD-2 likes it too, it's just more subtle with the LCD-2 while the benefits are more obvious with the HE-500. Having that infinite headroom and power is very nice, can't go back to weaker amps once you've gone Emotiva.
It's strange I've no desire to upgrade, not for the Mjolnir or Soloist or anything else under what the GS-X MK2 costs.post #2016 of 378810/25/13 at 6:35pmpost #2017 of 378810/25/13 at 7:51pmQuote:
I just went all the way up to the WA22 and trying to find the reasons to justify the 10X price. Yes, there are a few things the WA22 does really well that the Emotiva can't touch but overall for the $200 I paid, Mini-X is really a little wonder with HE500. If you ask me which amp I prefer, the answer would be "depending on kind of music I am listening". That should a pretty clear indication of what I think about my 2 amps. For dynamic HPs such as my Q701 and HD800, unfortunately I don't find the Emotiva to be a good match but the WA22 is beyond incredible. I went though 3 spyro gyra albums this afternoon on WA22/Q701 combo. It was sublime. Hiphop/rock, I am back on HE500/Emotiva.
Edited by koiloco - 10/25/13 at 7:56pmpost #2018 of 378810/25/13 at 10:54pm
Someone earlier brought up Audio-gd's Precision1 - 16W @ 40ohms, ~$600 - as a step-up candidate from the Mini-X.
Since the Mini-X is 15W @ 50ohms, power is pretty much a wash, but priced <1/3 of the Precision.
Kingwa makes solid stuff, no doubt about that. I've owned a few of his amps. Both Emotiva and Audio-gd lean more toward the "industrial" design aesthetic vs. the very very pretty Krells or McIntoshs of the world (IMO).
So, in thinking about "what's next" above and beyond the Mini-X, for me, I'd be looking for refinement without sacrificing power. Given the extreme bargain proposition of the Mini-X, this is a tough call.
To my ears, as much as I'm absolutely loving the sound generated by the Emo, she's definitely a forward, non-subtle beast. I liken it to listening to the seeming limitless power of a concert / PA speaker vs. the liquid coming out of a Paradigm Signature mid and tweeter.
I once heard Oleta Adam's "Everything Must Change" on a set of $50k McIntosh speakers, and it was one of those reference point changing, revelatory experiences, as to how sound could "sound".
As Koiloco said above, do we have to go 10x (above the Emo) to reach that point where the SQ improvement / delta is worth it?
Or do we move incrementally, adding other tweaks such as tubes into the audio chain?
Or, of course, change the rubber that hits the road and pick up a headphone that has epic synergy with the Mini-X, and will exploit its power to produce that lush, "Diana Krall is singing to me, only me!" experience.
These are just the late night ramblings of a very satisfied audio geek, who, through smiles and epiphanous satisfaction of what $169 can buy... is still on this godforsaken site, looking for the next best thing.post #2019 of 378810/25/13 at 10:59pm
yeah I got the same info from emotiva crew and this is great - there is 15W at 50 ohms (HE-6) it should do the justice for HE-6 in terms of power (hifiman recommendation is 5-20W), I think you can really kick it with this amp, seriously...
Edited by magicman - 10/25/13 at 11:03pmpost #2020 of 378810/25/13 at 11:42pm
I'm running my HE-500 off the TBI Millenia (w/ a resistor box). Total for the amp & resistor box is roughly $600 ($500 amp, $100 resistor box). This nifty amp is renowned for it's clean, highly transparent, neutral(-to-slightly warm), liquid sensibilities. I've used it with the HD800, HD600.. and now, the HE-500. It's terrific. In terms of desktop real estate, it's extremely tidy as well (I'll have some pictures up soon). Many die-hard SET owners have said this is one of the first solid state amps that didn't have them running back to tubes. I'm not especially partial to SS or tubes (I love both), but I can confirm that the Millenia has a SET-like quality that makes it a very enjoyable amp to use with the HE-500 (and the HD600/HD800).post #2021 of 378810/26/13 at 6:09am
Hey guys. A special shout out to elwappo99 (E.) for being the first one on head fi to take the chance with the mini x a-100.
His impressions way back allowed me to pick this puppy up on one of Emotivas many sales as a step in until my F1J was ready for my HE-6
To my surprise it did the job on more than a few headphones. No it's not the best amp out there, but for a price of $169 to $200 it's very hard to beat. Also, MaxV uses a tube DAC in his setup. I think it helps with the brightness if anyone is experiencing any brightness that is. The DAC is an important part to get right with this amp. I settled in on the Ciunas DAC. It made the AD / a-100 a real joy to listen to.
I still feell the LCDs does better on the Mojo, but for the price of $200 even the Mojo comes up short in the price per performance area.
GaryMD did a big speaker amp comparison. The a-100 didn't do so well to his ears with the LCD-3. However, IMO this amp does well with harder to drive headphones. If you have a HE-4, HE-5, HE-5LE or an HE-6 or HE-500, Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs - you'll be good to go. However, some have found joy with the LCD-2.2s. Which I can understand, because they tend to be the darker of the LCDs and the a-100 really weaks them up. Yes - I did like the LCD-2.2s better with this amp when compared to the LCD-3s.
The new Audio-GD amp (Precision 1) would be a very interesting comparison. The only Audio-GD amp I heard was the Master 3 paried with the HE-6. That amp did sound great. It was more of a warm presentation, very intimate. The soundstage was a tad bit closed in for me with less air, but it was very seductive like the LCDs can be. The comparison was with my F1J amp and not the a-100. But the a-100 has lots of air and does sound open with plenty of thump in the bottom end.
Yup - I you hit the nail right on the head with this one.. Just not as refined as some of the TOTL speaker amps such as this one for $7000 http://www.simaudio.com/moon600i.htm This amp was the absolute best amp I've heard with the HE-6 regardless of price
Edited by preproman - 10/26/13 at 6:39ampost #2022 of 378810/26/13 at 6:31ampost #2023 of 378810/26/13 at 6:37amQuote:
There's people here that will ship it to you and declare it as a gift. Does that help? I can help with this as well.post #2024 of 378810/26/13 at 7:15am
I thank you most sincerely for wanting to do that. I am just wondering what'd happen if the unit was lost in the postal system? Guess it would be worth it considering I could almost get 2 emotivas for the price of shipping and taxes, lol.
Anyway you us citizens can get a quote on approximate shipping?
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 3 seconds ago
- › $1-$25 USD- Favorite budget in-ear monitors- General consensus... 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 3 minutes ago
- › How do you explain the phenomenon when you first can't hear the... 3 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 4 minutes ago
- › Pro-Ject Essential II USB Phono Turntable 5 minutes ago
- › WTT Campfire Audio Jupiter for CA Orion plus cash or outright... 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 minutes ago
- › Pro-Ject RPM 10.1 Evolution Turntable 11 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by suman134
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...