I received my 75 ohm resistor today, and it seems to have eliminated the noise floor.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- brandBTG Audiotagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by joe, 8/5/14
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- LCD-2 rev 1 or HE-500/400 Last post on 10/24/12 at 12:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2nd PRICE DROP: Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 OBO Last post on 9/2/13 at 8:16am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Poll: Genre Master Last post on 6/9/13 at 4:09am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
If I would have to choose between these and the JBL E40, I would probably kill myself. But in case I am of particularly good mood I would choose these. They do not have much better SQ but have...
When I first reviewed these Headphones some time ago in Amazon, I did not yet tried so many BT Headphones. Somehow I like them more now, specially because their much cheaper price (actually...
Introduction With the introduction of the DUNU DN-1000, DUNU quickly established themselves as a primetime contender in the already fierce arena of mid-high range IEMS. Not only did...
I compared them to many other BT Headphones. A real comparison will be posted sooner or later in the "Huge Comparison" thread in the Forum. I liked them. They have personality. Warm signature,...
Well, I can't really write much more than what I wrote for the E40. They are the same in everything except that the E50 is bigger and have at least some bass. Actually, to really be honest,...
HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 99post #1471 of 36527/3/13 at 6:14pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1472 of 36527/3/13 at 6:25pm
@zilch0md - Thanks for the links. Looks like Schurter has something that can be made to work. Now to find someone who has their stuff in stock so I don't have to order 50 or 100 of them :)
Got an RFQ in at Mouser...
Edited by potterma - 7/3/13 at 6:36pmpost #1473 of 36527/3/13 at 6:29pmpost #1474 of 36527/3/13 at 6:29pmQuote:
Cool, did it muck up the Sound Quality at all?post #1475 of 36527/3/13 at 6:44pmQuote:
What construction did you go with for the resistor? I tried thick metal film (Caddock 10 ohms, parallel) and it really mucked up the sound stage (Gungnir -> A-100 -> HE-6). Made me wonder if the Duelund CAST resistors would have been a better choice.post #1476 of 36527/3/13 at 6:49pmpost #1477 of 36527/3/13 at 6:57pmQuote:
I'm using this one:post #1478 of 36527/3/13 at 7:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Limniscate
I'm using this one:
That's a good find. If running into noise issue, I might need one later on if I decide to keep the Emotiva for some high o. cans that are on my list to buy soon. Thx.post #1479 of 36527/3/13 at 9:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by Limniscate
I'm using this one:
Interesting... Glad it seems to be working out for you so far.post #1480 of 36527/3/13 at 11:00pm
Well, I am very ready for the Emotiva coming this Friday. Just finished the adapter today with some mogami cable picked up from guitar center and also thx for the advise from modulor and other head-fiers. You guys've been super helpful.post #1481 of 36527/4/13 at 3:48amQuote:
Looking forward to more impressions on the Emo.post #1482 of 36527/4/13 at 8:22amQuote:
Pretty! And you have that DIY self-satisfaction, too! Nice job.
Mikepost #1483 of 36527/4/13 at 10:59amQuote:Quote:
Wow looks great Koiloco!post #1484 of 36527/5/13 at 4:58ampost #1485 of 36527/5/13 at 1:17pm
Well well well, Fedex was on time today. I am staring at the huge mini-X.
Little big but looks just fine on my small desk : http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/eternalhell/IMG_0978.jpg
Build quality :
Nice, professional looking piece of equipment. blue/orange led around volume knob looks great in real life. Fit/Finish are great for the price. All connectors are solid. Running for 3 hours straight now and the darn thing is not even warm to the touch. Since I got home early from work today. The mini-X has been on and pumping non stop for about 7 hours and it still wouldn't get warm to the touch. Will it ever? This means it's driving the HE500 while being at most half asleep.
Initial sound impression in my opinion in comparison to E17/E9K combo:
I am still at work so the miniX is fed from my samsung tablet. At home now and listening through my home setup. Below impressions still hold true and even more impressed.
- Noise: on pause, the mini-X is dead silent when volume know is at 0 and at 9, 12, 2 o'clock. By 3 o'clock very noticeable noise starts bleeding through. I am listening at 10 o'clock only need to be at 9 o'clock from E9K line outs (vs. 11 on E9K)
- On vocal : Immediately with my first female vocal track, I can hear the air and clarity much better and easier in the vocal. I could hear vocal details more compared to the E17/E9K. To me, this means that the miniX is feeding the HE500 the power it takes to better bring out the mid and high frequencies in the HPs. To my ear, the amp is neutral/flat comparable to and in comparison to my E17/E9K with a touch less warmth overall at this point.
- Instruments : Starting with some flamenco guitar, energy, energy and more energy, I can feel the energy and the air movement in the cups. I said to myself "Damn, this thing has power to spare". Same impression about the sound as with my vocal tracks, mids and highs are stronger and clearer but not harsh in anyway. Plugging/fret sounds are so detailed. Next, onto some favorite violin tracks, with the more forward and stronger mids to high, the miniX makes the HE500 sound great with much more presence (I often have to switch to my Q701 when listening to violin and cello) To test the bass end, I put on some 2cellos and Yoyo Ma, the bass end is very controlled, clean and tight. I was afraid of the lower frequencies being fed too much power and could become over powerful and throw things out of balance. Just like when I listen to violin and having to switch to the Q701 to bring out more clarity and the upper frequencies, I also have to switch to the Q701 for cellos because the E17/E9K combo gives a little too much warmth and boomy lower end for my taste. I am glad to report that the mini-X does great with my cello tracks. Maybe because the mini-X gives more mid to high on the HE500 while controlling the bass well, this balances the entire spectrum better?
- Music with heavy bass : hiphop/electronic ... this one is easy : Best bass, energy, balance, extension I've heard so far for my listening taste. Not "more bass" than the E9K but better bass. Yes, I thought that this was BS too and afraid that I would not be able to hear the difference. Not the case here, it was very easy to hear/tell the difference and no, I don't really have the best set of ears. M-13 did not exaggerate at all. One thing I'd like to note about the bass definition and tightness remembering M-13's comment about "flappy" bass on some other amps comparing to the mini-X. While I only have the E17/E9K to compare to but I now see what he was talking about. Though I am not sure about "flappy" on the E9K is the right and politically correct term to use but bass on the mini-X sounds so tight that it seems the mid bass is run through a notch EQ with a spread/bandwidth of about 20-30Hz then fed into a compressor(not sure if you all get what I am trying to say but this is the only way I can explain)
Overall early assessment : at $189 shipped to my door. What is there not to like? So far, my initial impression and brief experience with the mini-X are very positive. Is it better than my E17/E9K combo? IMO, an absolute "YES". At this point, I would put the sound signature of the mini-X to be quite neutral, more forwarding (in your face), definitely more lively sound/response like what you would find in pro-audio amps. Just like M-13 said "a little dirtier and grainier", not a super smooth type of sound but maybe because that it's putting out so much power that the HE500 is really opened up and produces more details from recordings therefore listener will get this impression regarding the sound signature. Please don't mistaken this for being "harsh" cuz it's not. I will let you all know after spending more time with Emotiva at home this weekend. So far so good and definitely worth $189. Another bonus for me is that I can pull out my recording monitors and drive them with the mini-X.
Edited by koiloco - 7/5/13 at 9:11pm
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 or Sennheiser Momentum 9 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 49 seconds ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMan RE-600 Review 4 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review) 4 minutes ago
- › German MAESTRO - Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 5 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 5 minutes ago
- › AKG Y15 and Y16A earbuds: they're pretty good. 5 minutes ago
- › JBL J56 BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphone, Black by Giogio
- › Jabra REVO Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones - Retail Packaging... by Giogio
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by Rockthemboots
- › Samsung Level over by Giogio
- › JBL E50BT Black Premium Wireless Over-Ear Bluetooth Stereo... by Giogio
- › JBL E40BT Black High-Performance Wireless On-Ear Bluetooth Stereo... by Giogio
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by Giogio
- › Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone by Giogio
- › FiiO E09K by Delance26
- › Dunu DN-1000 by screwedpeep
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)