Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 95

post #1411 of 3639

OK so I put the TH900s on the A-100.  Believe it or not.  I could hear at a low volume, clear music with the knob all the way on 0.  That was crazy,  but for the 900 and the 600 - So he talked about these thing because?  What - nothing.

post #1412 of 3639

That's kinda freaky Preproman. Hear music at zero volume huh? Don't blow up your $2000 headphone. Just sayin. wink.gif

post #1413 of 3639

@modulor: utterly OT here, but I effin LOVE your avatar. Good to see another Ghost fan around... I've been listening to Infestissumam pretty much obsessively since it debuted. 'Idolatrine' is my current fave. Horns to you, my friend!

 

Anyway, back to your regularly schedule programming ;)

post #1414 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

That is true, yes.

 

 

OK, so you believe this is true:  

 

     Quoting Jan Meier: 

The value of [a series] resistor should not be higher than 3 till 4 times the impedance of the headphone drivers. Further increases do hardly effect sound.

 

But you've also said that this is not true:

 

Quoting myself:
If you do not want a series resistor to affect sound quality, you must select a resistance that is greater than four times (4x) the impedance of the headphone drivers. 

 

I'm confused.  blink.gif

post #1415 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post


OK, so you believe this is true:  

     Quoting Jan Meier: 

But you've also said that this is not true:


I'm confused.  blink.gif

Yes because hardly in this instance means a lot. So these two statements contradict each other thus making only the upper one true....
Might have been a bad choice of wording :-)
At least that is how I understand it?
post #1416 of 3639

Zilch, I think you're twisting/misinterpreting some things... Putting a series resistor in will affect primarily two things: frequency response and damping factor.

 

As you increase the series resistor, the damping factor (ratio of headphone impedance to output impedance) will decrease. When the damping factor decreases, typically (in my experience) the music becomes a little less defined and takes on a very very slight bass tilt due to the bass becoming fuzzier. 

 

As you increase the series resistor, the interaction between the resistor value (in this case effectively the output impedance) and the headphone impedance becomes more pronounced and causes a change in frequency response, producing a frequency hump in line with the impedance curve of the headphone, which is generally indicative of the driver resonance points. The wackier headphone impedance curve, the more the frequency response shifts. Planars have flat impedance curves, so their frequency response remains flat regardless of the series resistor. 

 

Where things get a little funny is in the math of how the frequency response changes. The frequency response is affected by this: H/(R+H)

where H is your headphone impedance and R is the resistor value. When R is zero, your ratio is 1 no matter what the headphone impedance and so you have no funny business. As soon as R is non-zero, the ratio shifts according to the impedance curve. The relative max and min of the curve, as well as the actual shape of the curve will all change. Most of the time, this produces a hump in the midbass (Senns and Beyers are the primary culprits here, with impedance peaks sometimes five times the nominal level).

 

Since I know you love numbers, I'll throw some around. Let's say we have a headphone with an impedance peak that's double the nominal level. Your midbass hump will now be...

when R = 0.1*H, then max/min is 1.047

when R = 0.5*H, then max/min is 1.2

when R = 1.0*H, then max/min is 1.333

when R = 2.0*H, then max/min is 1.5

when R = 3.0*H, then max/min is 1.6

when R = 4.0*H, then max/min is 1.666

when R = 5.0*H, then max/min is 1.714

when R = 8.0*H, then max/min is 1.8

when R = 20*H, then max/min is 1.9

when R = 100*H, then max/min is 1.98

 

So you can see the midbass hump will increase as R increases, but the rate of change slows down as we go up. The theoretical max/min ratio is 2, which is what we assumed the impedance curve ratio would be. This doubling is only 6dB anyways, so it's not the end of the world. 

post #1417 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

@modulor: utterly OT here, but I effin LOVE your avatar. Good to see another Ghost fan around... I've been listening to Infestissumam pretty much obsessively since it debuted. 'Idolatrine' is my current fave. Horns to you, my friend!

 

Anyway, back to your regularly schedule programming ;)

Haha, thanks!  I actually made it the other day while listening to Opus Eponymous...and Infestissumam is pretty excellent.  Ghost + HE-500 = evil_smiley.gif

post #1418 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

Haha, thanks!  I actually made it the other day while listening to Opus Eponymous...and Infestissumam is pretty excellent.  Ghost + HE-500 = evil_smiley.gif

Don't like that their songs kinda worship satanism and stuff..

post #1419 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Don't like that their songs kinda worship satanism and stuff..

It's all subjective I guess, I don't mean to offend anyone though.  I can say I enjoy the music and singing style but I'm not religious in any way so I typically don't have a problem with any lyrics in any songs.

post #1420 of 3639

Yeah if you're not relgious, Satan is just as imaginary as God, so... no harm done. But I guess if you are religious than you might be scandalized

post #1421 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

It's all subjective I guess, I don't mean to offend anyone though.  I can say I enjoy the music and singing style but I'm not religious in any way so I typically don't have a problem with any lyrics in any songs.

Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Yeah if you're not relgious, Satan is just as imaginary as God, so... no harm done. But I guess if you are religious than you might be scandalized

Don't care if religous or not, but I don't want to promote a message like that. Personally...

post #1422 of 3639
I'd love to see a tutorial on making a resistance adapter. That would be amazing and helpful. I'm making the cable this weekend and I'll see how I like it.

I roughly understand the previous posts on how the resisters in series and parallel would affect sound. I'm just not able to make that information functional to my specific situation.

eg) what would be an optimal resistance for the Mad Dogs and how to make that 6.3mm adapter once I know.

I'll have to further review the already present diagrams for now I suppose.
post #1423 of 3639

Guys... no more religious talk on the forums. We don't want to derail and get the thread locked. Just delete everything and move on, or take it to PM.

post #1424 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

I'd love to see a tutorial on making a resistance adapter. That would be amazing and helpful. I'm making the cable this weekend and I'll see how I like it.

I roughly understand the previous posts on how the resisters in series and parallel would affect sound. I'm just not able to make that information functional to my specific situation.

eg) what would be an optimal resistance for the Mad Dogs and how to make that 6.3mm adapter once I know.

I'll have to further review the already present diagrams for now I suppose.

 

Optimal is no resistors at all. Just tap them directly to the speaker outputs. If the amp has too much power and you have no play on the pot, then turn down your source

post #1425 of 3639
Thanks, that's what I was going to do initially, but wasn't sure if the Mad Dogs would some buffer.

Excited for the final piece of the cable to arrive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project