Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 92

post #1366 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

But seriously, M-13, quit head-fi now. You've hit that sweet point. 

 

A few weeks back when I had LCD-2 and HE-500, I was thinking about getting Senn HD 600/650 or maybe some DT880/DT990 and just call it a year or a summer. Not sure how I went from that to a LCD-3. I swear it happened out of the blue in less than a week, wasn't even planning it. I've tried the Emotiva with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3. I think the best combination I had with the Emotiva was the LCD-2. The LCD-3 feels as if it's being limited by my current source and amp, more so than I felt with the other two.

 

Around the same time a few weeks back, I was thinking for my computer stuff upgrading from E10 to ODAC. Then it went to Concero. Next to M-DAC and then Anedio D2 and for the past 2 weeks have been at NAD M51. Although I've been hearing about the good prices of Perfect Wave MkII. So now there's that as well. So currently at M51 and PWD mkII. I somehow increased my budget by a factor of 20 over a month.

 

Just go ahead and quit man.

LOL

I understand you 100% bro. beerchug.gif

 

Once I get Scarlett Johansson on my lap I'll quit for sure (I keep telling myself).

 

I hear the new JKenny Ciunas can compete with PWD Mk2, and it's MUCH cheaper. Add that to your list of potential DACs. LOL.

 

By this time next year Zoom. You'll have the Liquid Lightning 2 with the Stax SR-009 and PWD Mk2 and be thinking how did I get here? I never planned it!

post #1367 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

LOL

I understand you 100% bro. beerchug.gif

 

Once I get Scarlett Johansson on my lap I'll quit for sure (I keep telling myself).

 

I hear the new JKenny Ciunas can compete with PWD Mk2, and it's MUCH cheaper. Add that to your list of potential DACs. LOL.

 

By this time next year Zoom. You'll have the Liquid Lightning 2 with the Stax SR-009 and PWD Mk2 and be thinking how did I get here? I never planned it!

 

I'll look into that as well. I've actually never heard of JKenny Ciunas before. It sounds more like a clothing store for women. LOL thanks a lot! Now I've got even more stuff to go through later on.

 

LOL the funny thing is I've actually recently started looking at those Cavalli amps. So far I know there's one electrostatic amp and two others (solid state + tube). I was reading up on it and I was like: "oh this might just be what I am looking for. Goes to site. Okay, $3500 for the cheapest thing. Well, not happening anytime soon."

 

A Stax is interesting as well, although this time through I want to get the LCD-3 rig done right before moving on to other stuff, if I need it at all after (Although I said the same thing with the HE-500 and LCD-2 before haha). I was thinking of doing the Gungnir and Mjolnir stack initially (still might), but now I kinda want to just wait it out and build a solid rig piece by piece.

 

Upgraded motto: Welcome to head-fi, where self-fulfilling prophecies come true. Oh, and sorry for your wallet.

post #1368 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

yes... singing...

I thought, "What? She's a singer?"

And then I found this...

http://youtu.be/nLoG6_imrKY

Yuck!
post #1369 of 3613

The thought of Scarlett "Ho" Hansen (as my wife refers to her), singing in my ear with that voice is anything but my idea of end game. Just watching 30 seconds of that video made my ears punch my brain for being so stupid as to listen to that. 

post #1370 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post


I thought, "What? She's a singer?"

And then I found this...

http://youtu.be/nLoG6_imrKY

Yuck!

 

Her rendition of Summertime isn't half bad... http://vimeo.com/5528971

If she were singing that in my ear, I would be totally ok with it. Yup.

post #1371 of 3613

You call that singing?

post #1372 of 3613

If that were part of the packaged deal to have Scarlett Johansson on my lap in a closet... Yes. Absolutely. I'd even ask for an encore.

post #1373 of 3613

Look what I started. very_evil_smiley.gif

post #1374 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Look what I started. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

post #1375 of 3613

My emotiva came in a day early! 

 

I've got it running now figure I'll leave it on for a few days to get settled. The one thing I was very interested to see is the noise floor with the HE-500, and how it could be alleviated. Going straight to the amp, I could hear the noise floor at about 12 oclock. I put on a 75 ohm resistor and found the noise floor around 3 oclock. 

 

With that same 75 ohm resistor, I found I had a bit of breathing room with the HE-500 and Mad Dogs. Btw, I can't believe I didn't try before, but the Mad Dogs are a big winner with this amplifier! Prepro better get ready for it! 

post #1376 of 3613

Also I just now recalled how thick the front plate of the amplifier is. I don't think it's feasible to get through that thick piece to mount a 1/4" TRS jack onto the case. It would be very easy on the side or top, as much as I would prefer not to go that route. 

post #1377 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

My emotiva came in a day early! 

 

I've got it running now figure I'll leave it on for a few days to get settled. The one thing I was very interested to see is the noise floor with the HE-500, and how it could be alleviated. Going straight to the amp, I could hear the noise floor at about 12 oclock. I put on a 75 ohm resistor and found the noise floor around 3 oclock. 

 

With that same 75 ohm resistor, I found I had a bit of breathing room with the HE-500 and Mad Dogs. Btw, I can't believe I didn't try before, but the Mad Dogs are a big winner with this amplifier! Prepro better get ready for it! 

I can hear the noise floor at 9 'o clock even.  Where do I get a resistor?

post #1378 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

I can hear the noise floor at 9 'o clock even.  Where do I get a resistor?

I seriously think something is wrong with your chain. Either your cables, or Emotiva, or the HE-500, because the noise floor is near-zero at 9 a clock, or even at 11 a clock. I literally have to concentrate in a perfectly quiet room to detect it. If I crack a window or my laptop starts spinning its fan I can't hear it anymore. It's that faint. Nearly inaudible.

post #1379 of 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

I seriously think something is wrong with your chain. Either your cables, or Emotiva, or the HE-500, because the noise floor is near-zero at 9 a clock, or even at 11 a clock. I literally have to concentrate in a perfectly quiet room to detect it. If I crack a window or my laptop starts spinning its fan I can't hear it anymore. It's that faint. Nearly inaudible.

My room is fairly loud with a ceiling fan and my computer.  I know it's not my source (ODAC) or my 3.5mm to RCA cable because I can still hear it with no source plugged in.  That leaves my banana plugs to 1/4 TRS adapter or the power cable of the Emotiva or the Emotiva itself.  My HE500 is dead silent on the O2, so I don't think it's the power outlet because I'm using the same outlet when I switch between the two amps.


Edited by Limniscate - 6/26/13 at 10:13pm
post #1380 of 3613
Quote:

Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

The one thing I was very interested to see is the noise floor with the HE-500, and how it could be alleviated. Going straight to the amp, I could hear the noise floor at about 12 oclock. I put on a 75 ohm resistor and found the noise floor around 3 oclock. 

 

Would you mind sharing a pic of the connection?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project