Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 84

post #1246 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post


right on.
I know RCA interconnects can effect the sound I am hearing any affordable recommendations.
Always make sure it is shared ground or you will short the amp. Emotiva being shared as mentioned but I had to research a bit to verify shared ground with my amp before using speaker taps.
post #1247 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post


My process goes like this:

1) turn dac on
2) make sure amp is turned all the way down
3) turn the amp on
4) plug headphones in
5) adjust volume

For turning it off, it's simply the reverse:

1) turn amp all the way down
2) unplug headphones
3) turn off amp
4) turn off dac

I do this with all my headphones regardless of the amp and whether it says there is a relay or not. With both O2, E10 and emotiva, i always get a pop when i turn them off with headphones plugged in.

It's a habit of mine to be on the safe side. A healthy habit I suppose. I do the same with speakers - minus unplugging the speakers.

Seems like you would wear out your jacks/connector coatings quickly doing this.

post #1248 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshin23 View Post


Always make sure it is shared ground or you will short the amp. Emotiva being shared as mentioned but I had to research a bit to verify shared ground with my amp before using speaker taps.

Unfortunately I dont know how to do that. But someone here told me the emotiva is shared. That is the one I purchased plus I contacted tech support at emotiva to verify.

post #1249 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post

Unfortunately I dont know how to do that. But someone here told me the emotiva is shared. That is the one I purchased plus I contacted tech support at emotiva to verify.

Emotiva is Shared and will work just fine.  I use an ADCOM amp which I had to look up.  You should be good to go with the Emotiva.

 

The comment was for any others who might not use an Emotiva but want to use speaker taps to make sure it is shared ground amp or you risk shorting things out.


Edited by jjshin23 - 6/13/13 at 8:48am
post #1250 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshin23 View Post

Emotiva is Shared and will work just fine.  I use an ADCOM amp which I had to look up.  You should be good to go with the Emotiva.

 

The comment was for any others who might not use an Emotiva but want to use speaker taps to make sure it is shared ground amp or you risk shorting things out.

oh okay

can't wait!!biggrin.gif

post #1251 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post

Seems like you would wear out your jacks/connector coatings quickly doing this.

 

I'm using 4 pin balanced XLR cables with adapters. They come with a snap on Neutrik pin. I use my stuff carefully, so barely, if any damage or even wear and tear is happening. I would rather change cables over drivers anyday, due to the pop caused by leaving them in. It's quite a convenient rig. I can switch between the planars in under 10 seconds. Well worth it.

post #1252 of 3639

Just found this thread by accident. Brilliant thread OP !

I can now buy a set of LCD-2's and this amp for same price as a HE-500 and some premium-end Burson etc headphone specific amp.

I always wanted the LCD2's, but the total price with a headphone amp put it out of my future budget range.

 

I guess the LCD-2's + BTG cables and the amp is all that is needed, no technical mods on the amp internals which is a bit intimidating.... ;-(


Edited by Lohb - 6/14/13 at 1:58am
post #1253 of 3639

I am using a Music Hall a25.2 with HE-500 and an Audio-Gd NFB-17 DAC.

 

The DAC has a relatively high output (2.5V) so I am only able to use 16 out of 80 steps on the volume control. I would like a little more range on the knob for fine tuning. I have been thinking of getting an inline RCA attenuator, but I'm not sure which is the best solution. What do you think?

1. Attenuator between DAC and amplifier, and plug HE-500 directly into amp.

2. DAC directly into amp, and attenuate between amp and headphone (with resistor I guess).

 

Thanks!


Edited by Anda - 6/14/13 at 2:16am
post #1254 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post

I know RCA interconnects can effect the sound I am hearing any affordable recommendations.

 

Emotiva's X-Series RCA cables are really nice - you will be very pleased with them and they happen to be on sale now, for the ridiculous price of $12.74 each.

 

I don't currently own anything made by Emotiva except four of these cables, in the 0.5m length:

 

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects/products/xrca

 

http://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-XRCA-5-Meter-Interconnect/dp/B008O37LGQ

 

 

 

I'd be willing to pay a lot more for Emotiva's cables.  (Oops!  I hope they don't follow this thread.)

 

Hey they are on my current desktop rig:

 

 

 

Mike


Edited by zilch0md - 6/14/13 at 6:24am
post #1255 of 3639

Might as well try their power cables as well while they're on sale.

post #1256 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Might as well try their power cables as well while they're on sale.

 

Great idea!   It's time for an impulse purchase.  tongue.gif

post #1257 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

 

Emotiva's X-Series RCA cables are really nice - you will be very pleased with them and they happen to be on sale now, for the ridiculous price of $12.74 each.

 

I don't currently own anything made by Emotiva except four of these cables, in the 0.5m length:

 

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects/products/xrca

 

http://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-XRCA-5-Meter-Interconnect/dp/B008O37LGQ

 

 

 

I'd be willing to pay a lot more for Emotiva's cables.  (Oops!  I hope they don't follow this thread.)

 

Hey they are on my current desktop rig:

 

 

 

Mike

That sounds good I already bought some but I would be willing to buy those just because of the price. I didnt realize they sold them on amazon.

 

UPDATE: easily convinced I bought them and will compare the difference. I dont imagine i will hear much of a difference but i will see.


Edited by grizzlybeast - 6/14/13 at 12:47pm
post #1258 of 3639

Yeah, their cables are an extremely good value.

 

Speaking of impulse purchases, I ordered one of their 2-meter power cables, just now, and (after reading this thread for several months), I also ordered the Mini-X A-100 to go with it.

 

Finally, I'll be able to hear what everyone's talking about.

 

biggrin.gif

 

Mike

post #1259 of 3639

I sent Emotiva tech support my question about leaving the headphones plugged in during power on/off:

Quote:

Hello XXXXX,

 
Thank you for your interest in Emotiva.
 
The a-100 has a protection circuit built in so there is never any DC offset on the outputs so that should not be a concern.
 
It also has a soft start and by itself should not make any popping noise during start up or shut down.  However, if the source has a DC offset on the pre-amp side then this could be translated to a pop as the front end settles down.  Turning the volume all the way down should prevent this from happening.
 
I hope this helps and best regards,
 
XXXXXX
 
Emotiva Audio Corporation

 

I Replied with my setup and that you can hear a small pop when you power the the amp off.  Their response:

 

Quote:
A slight pop in headphones is possible but not likely in actual speakers since the amp was designed to run large speakers.  Having said that though, I do not believe it will be loud enough to do any damage to the headphones.
 
Best regards,
 
XXXXXXX
 
Emotiva Audio Corporation

 

So, Emotiva says there shouldn't be an issue with leaving the HE-500 plugged in during power cycle.  Just an fyi to anyone else who was curious about it.

 

Edited by Shazb0t - 6/14/13 at 7:04pm
post #1260 of 3639

I just got the emotiva based on what was said about it being an improvement over the magni. Now, I have an audiosource amp 100, but my magni, while had a smaller soundstage and a bit less bass on my HE 5 LE, overall was more detailed than the audiosource. Hearing that the emotiva had better clarity had me courios and the recent sale got me a new emotiva. Some people said upgrading to the emotiva would be a sidegrade. Not so. It is leaps and bounds better than the magni (maybe this shouldn't be a surprise...) and soo much better than the audiosource amp 100. The magni already had the audiosource beat not on power obviously, but on detail. This is with an HE 5 LE using the HE adapter, and a Dacport LX as source with JRiver w/ WASAPI.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project