I've been considering doing this simply because no matter how good IEM's can sound, they're no match for fullsize cans.
- productAKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAKG K 141 MK II K141MKII K 141 MKII HEADPHONES DJtagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700X Art Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 770 Premium 32 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productBRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by System, 9/27/12More
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by System, 9/27/12
- productPioneer SE-A1000 Lightweight Audiophile AV Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 238 Stereo Open Aire Headphonetagged by System, 9/27/12
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Headphones for Competitive Gaming Last post on 8/22/12 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Closed headphone for work Last post on 11/17/12 at 7:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones for ~£200! Last post on 11/10/12 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
Preamble: Superlux – the Chinese/Taiwanese company really doesn’t need any further instruction for anyone who is at least just a little into audio and headphones. Being in the...
Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public?post #1 of 1039/26/12 at 7:30pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1039/26/12 at 7:42pmQuote:
Yeap; I only wear full size. I typically use my premium DT770's, or I'll use my Denon D5000's, sometimes the Brainwavz HM5. Mainly though I really like the DT770 as my full size portable of choice. Looks classy, is durable and tank like, very comfortable. I had mine recabled to 4 feet of sheathed wire, and my cable was modded to be locking/detchable. I use it with my Sansa Fuze + Fiio E11, loaded with FLAC albums of choice.
Very best,post #3 of 1039/26/12 at 7:43pmQuote:
Sure, why wouldn't we? I have worn all the cans in my inventory (and then some) in public. I didn't remember getting any weird looks, but then again I wouldn't give a rat's ass even if I did. I'd say go for it! Live the dream brotha!
Although I'd also like to point out that I wear IEMs as well (both in and out of the house). And I think that - depending on who you ask around here - you'll get differing opinions as to whether they stack up against full-sized cans... especially when you get into multi-drivered CIEM territory.
But that's neither here nor there. My point is, hell yeah we do. In fact, there's a thread around here called "Headphone Sightings 2" (or something like that) where we post sightings of just such public occurences!post #4 of 1039/26/12 at 7:49pmpost #5 of 1039/26/12 at 8:03pmThread Starterpost #6 of 1039/26/12 at 8:15pmQuote:
Yep. My K240 and SE-A1000 and HD-238 are open. I've met with somewhat limited success with open cans though. This is not because I mind the outside world creeping in (which is a rather curious sensation I must admit)... but because it pisses people off for some reason. They should be so lucky that I would share my music with them, but apparently they don't see it that way.post #7 of 1039/26/12 at 8:22pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by warrenpchi
Yep. My K240 and SE-A1000 and HD-238 are open. I've met with somewhat limited success with open cans though. This is not because I mind the outside world creeping in (which is a rather curious sensation I must admit)... but because it pisses people off for some reason. They should be so lucky that I would share my music with them, but apparently they don't see it that way.
lol ever get complaints? like people actually griping about it?post #8 of 1039/26/12 at 8:27pmQuote:
I've had people physically move away from me to another seat on the commuter train I take, but no - people have never actually said anything to me. As I understand it, they are musically hellspawn and good music is like holy water to them. At least that's how I'd like to understand it.post #9 of 1039/26/12 at 8:28pmQuote:
Generally no. I wore some Grados out and about before, but I found that I was turning the volume up too loud to compensate for all the environmental noise. Wearing open air isn't that big a deal, you can generally drown out the environment, but you risk listening inadvertently too loudly and that does two things: 1) potentially damages your ears over time which is not a good idea if you enjoy listening to audio for your life time, 2) too loud kills dynamics and muddles most audio. So I pretty much just wear closed back headphones due to that. In general I actually prefer closed headphones even at home because I don't like competing with silencing the sound of the AC, fans, typing, etc.
Very best,post #10 of 1039/26/12 at 9:30pmI wear my V-Moda M80s constantly, mainly because IEMs and earbuds are very uncomfortable. Plus nothing says "Leave me alone!" more to strangers more than a pair of headphones on your head.post #11 of 1039/26/12 at 10:02pm
I only own full size headphones so that's what I wear when I'm out and about at college, work, etc. I actually think full sized headphones are a lot more stylish than all of the portable designs and IEMs bother me.
Plus, what joey said. Nobody tries to talk to you then wonders why you haven't answered when you have full sized headphones on. They are the urban hermit's best friend.
Edited by machoboy - 9/26/12 at 10:05pmpost #12 of 1039/26/12 at 10:04pmQuote:
Yes. I wear at least 3 at all timespost #13 of 1039/26/12 at 10:07pmpost #14 of 1039/26/12 at 10:09pm
Used to do it for a while with my HD555's.
Also found out that I had the tendency to turn the volume up loouder than I realise to compensate for outside noise.
The 10 foot cable wasn't really helping either.post #15 of 1039/26/12 at 10:21pm
I don't like earbuds or IEMs nearly as much from a comfort standpoint. That's why I always go full-sized.
Right now, it's a Panasonic HTF600. If 1SaleADay ever gets their arse in gear with shipping their orders, it might be a Philips CitiScape Uptown instead.
Also, just for the heck of it, I did wear my Stax Lambda in public once, just to see the kind of reactions I'd get. (I obviously couldn't use it portably without one heck of a 'stat amp and some big batteries to keep it juiced.) One guy said they thought they were right out of the Cold War, which isn't off the mark given than it's a 1979 design.
- Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread 23 seconds ago
- › Asus STX II Vs Creative ZXR 30 seconds ago
- › Introducing the Dacamp L1, flagship CL1 Ceramic and CL750 from RHA 1 minute ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 3 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears Zeus Impressions Thread - World's First 14 Driver IEM 4 minutes ago
- › EarSonics' new 9 BA driver flagship: the S-EM9 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...