I've been considering doing this simply because no matter how good IEM's can sound, they're no match for fullsize cans.
- productAKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAKG K 141 MK II K141MKII K 141 MKII HEADPHONES DJtagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700X Art Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 770 Premium 32 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productBRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productKoss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open )tagged by System, 9/27/12More
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by System, 9/27/12
- productPioneer SE-A1000 Lightweight Audiophile AV Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 238 Stereo Open Aire Headphonetagged by System, 9/27/12
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Headphones for Competitive Gaming Last post on 8/22/12 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Closed headphone for work Last post on 11/17/12 at 7:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones for ~£200! Last post on 11/10/12 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/14/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public?post #1 of 1039/26/12 at 7:30pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1039/26/12 at 7:42pmQuote:
Yeap; I only wear full size. I typically use my premium DT770's, or I'll use my Denon D5000's, sometimes the Brainwavz HM5. Mainly though I really like the DT770 as my full size portable of choice. Looks classy, is durable and tank like, very comfortable. I had mine recabled to 4 feet of sheathed wire, and my cable was modded to be locking/detchable. I use it with my Sansa Fuze + Fiio E11, loaded with FLAC albums of choice.
Very best,post #3 of 1039/26/12 at 7:43pmQuote:
Sure, why wouldn't we? I have worn all the cans in my inventory (and then some) in public. I didn't remember getting any weird looks, but then again I wouldn't give a rat's ass even if I did. I'd say go for it! Live the dream brotha!
Although I'd also like to point out that I wear IEMs as well (both in and out of the house). And I think that - depending on who you ask around here - you'll get differing opinions as to whether they stack up against full-sized cans... especially when you get into multi-drivered CIEM territory.
But that's neither here nor there. My point is, hell yeah we do. In fact, there's a thread around here called "Headphone Sightings 2" (or something like that) where we post sightings of just such public occurences!post #4 of 1039/26/12 at 7:49pmpost #5 of 1039/26/12 at 8:03pmThread Starterpost #6 of 1039/26/12 at 8:15pmQuote:
Yep. My K240 and SE-A1000 and HD-238 are open. I've met with somewhat limited success with open cans though. This is not because I mind the outside world creeping in (which is a rather curious sensation I must admit)... but because it pisses people off for some reason. They should be so lucky that I would share my music with them, but apparently they don't see it that way.post #7 of 1039/26/12 at 8:22pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by warrenpchi
Yep. My K240 and SE-A1000 and HD-238 are open. I've met with somewhat limited success with open cans though. This is not because I mind the outside world creeping in (which is a rather curious sensation I must admit)... but because it pisses people off for some reason. They should be so lucky that I would share my music with them, but apparently they don't see it that way.
lol ever get complaints? like people actually griping about it?post #8 of 1039/26/12 at 8:27pmQuote:
I've had people physically move away from me to another seat on the commuter train I take, but no - people have never actually said anything to me. As I understand it, they are musically hellspawn and good music is like holy water to them. At least that's how I'd like to understand it.post #9 of 1039/26/12 at 8:28pmQuote:
Generally no. I wore some Grados out and about before, but I found that I was turning the volume up too loud to compensate for all the environmental noise. Wearing open air isn't that big a deal, you can generally drown out the environment, but you risk listening inadvertently too loudly and that does two things: 1) potentially damages your ears over time which is not a good idea if you enjoy listening to audio for your life time, 2) too loud kills dynamics and muddles most audio. So I pretty much just wear closed back headphones due to that. In general I actually prefer closed headphones even at home because I don't like competing with silencing the sound of the AC, fans, typing, etc.
Very best,post #10 of 1039/26/12 at 9:30pmI wear my V-Moda M80s constantly, mainly because IEMs and earbuds are very uncomfortable. Plus nothing says "Leave me alone!" more to strangers more than a pair of headphones on your head.post #11 of 1039/26/12 at 10:02pm
I only own full size headphones so that's what I wear when I'm out and about at college, work, etc. I actually think full sized headphones are a lot more stylish than all of the portable designs and IEMs bother me.
Plus, what joey said. Nobody tries to talk to you then wonders why you haven't answered when you have full sized headphones on. They are the urban hermit's best friend.
Edited by machoboy - 9/26/12 at 10:05pmpost #12 of 1039/26/12 at 10:04pmQuote:
Yes. I wear at least 3 at all timespost #13 of 1039/26/12 at 10:07pmpost #14 of 1039/26/12 at 10:09pm
Used to do it for a while with my HD555's.
Also found out that I had the tendency to turn the volume up loouder than I realise to compensate for outside noise.
The 10 foot cable wasn't really helping either.post #15 of 1039/26/12 at 10:21pm
I don't like earbuds or IEMs nearly as much from a comfort standpoint. That's why I always go full-sized.
Right now, it's a Panasonic HTF600. If 1SaleADay ever gets their arse in gear with shipping their orders, it might be a Philips CitiScape Uptown instead.
Also, just for the heck of it, I did wear my Stax Lambda in public once, just to see the kind of reactions I'd get. (I obviously couldn't use it portably without one heck of a 'stat amp and some big batteries to keep it juiced.) One guy said they thought they were right out of the Cold War, which isn't off the mark given than it's a 1979 design.
- Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › ### Amp/Dac under $400 ### 1 second ago
- › Senn HD429s bass bloated 40 seconds ago
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing the T10i, an all new IEM from RHA 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › [ T-PEOS ] Announce Releasing Altone200 and Start Preorder Limitedly 5 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)