New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IC: Upcoming Toronto Meet - Page 8

post #106 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

I'd be interested in coming out, sounds like fun! I'm located in Mississauga. I can bring some planars along with some amps.

 

I hope you mean planar headphones, tossing speakers into the mix would surely create an environment unfriendly to headphones. The only meet I've been to with speakers was one in California with Ti Kan bringing out a pair of custom speakers and driving them with the Beta24... and it was EPIC! Paraphrasing the words of one fantastic member, the amp driving them was running on pure testosterone! :) Normally though, I'd say speakers are off the table at a headphone meet with a lot of listening stations. 

post #107 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post

 

I hope you mean planar headphones, tossing speakers into the mix would surely create an environment unfriendly to headphones. The only meet I've been to with speakers was one in California with Ti Kan bringing out a pair of custom speakers and driving them with the Beta24... and it was EPIC! Paraphrasing the words of one fantastic member, the amp driving them was running on pure testosterone! :) Normally though, I'd say speakers are off the table at a headphone meet with a lot of listening stations. 

 

Yes, I mean planar headphones (Hifiman + Audeze). LOL I wouldn't want to bring the Magnepans...they aren't the type to put in a car and just go around with. Hmmm although if we divide the event, suppose near the end to just go through speakers exclusively to test out and try (within reasonable volume depending on the venue). I would love to listen to some speakers once we all go through headphones.

post #108 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Yes, I mean planar headphones (Hifiman + Audeze). LOL I wouldn't want to bring the Magnepans...they aren't the type to put in a car and just go around with. Hmmm although if we divide the event, suppose near the end to just go through speakers exclusively to test out and try (within reasonable volume depending on the venue). I would love to listen to some speakers once we all go through headphones.

 

I really like this idea, but I don't think Head-Fi is the right place to organize such an event. Most people here I've noticed are dedicated headphone listeners, often going for headphones and amps at home over a high end 2.1 speaker system.

 

I DO like the idea of having a hi-fi monitor/speaker meet, it's just something I think would be more complicated than it's worth, considering you'd need multiple rooms each with a few set ups, otherwise one room with all the rigs (such as a headphone meet), it'd be too much of a sound bleed, and it would also depend on the room treatment. 

post #109 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

 

I really like this idea, but I don't think Head-Fi is the right place to organize such an event. Most people here I've noticed are dedicated headphone listeners, often going for headphones and amps at home over a high end 2.1 speaker system.

 

I DO like the idea of having a hi-fi monitor/speaker meet, it's just something I think would be more complicated than it's worth, considering you'd need multiple rooms each with a few set ups, otherwise one room with all the rigs (such as a headphone meet), it'd be too much of a sound bleed, and it would also depend on the room treatment. 

 

Yea I suppose it could be a little bit harder to organize, unless each person takes a turn showing their equipment and making it more time consuming. But when there's a will, there's a way! bigsmile_face.gif

 

I'd even be down to listen to couple of speaker monitors that are self powered, making the set up process easier. I would love to listen to a couple of Mackie, KRK, Genelec, Dynaudio, Adam, Yamaha's etc...

 

It all depends on the venue and how much time we get there.

post #110 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

 

Yea I suppose it could be a little bit harder to organize, unless each person takes a turn showing their equipment and making it more time consuming. But when there's a will, there's a way! bigsmile_face.gif

 

I'd even be down to listen to couple of speaker monitors that are self powered, making the set up process easier. I would love to listen to a couple of Mackie, KRK, Genelec, Dynaudio, Adam, Yamaha's etc...

 

It all depends on the venue and how much time we get there.

 

     My apologies, but if this meet turns into a speakers meet - then count me out!

post #111 of 247

Can we hammer out a date and place for this?
 

post #112 of 247
not likely, I wouldn't worry about it, its a novel idea but not whats being planned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post

Yea I suppose it could be a little bit harder to organize, unless each person takes a turn showing their equipment and making it more time consuming. But when there's a will, there's a way! bigsmile_face.gif

I'd even be down to listen to couple of speaker monitors that are self powered, making the set up process easier. I would love to listen to a couple of Mackie, KRK, Genelec, Dynaudio, Adam, Yamaha's etc...

It all depends on the venue and how much time we get there.

     My apologies, but if this meet turns into a speakers meet - then count me out!
post #113 of 247

Hey Guys!

 

Well It seems that this event has come to a CRITICAL juncture. I have called numerous places to secure a location in the Toronto area and its not looking good. Due to the amount of people and gear finding a room large enough that is also cost effective has proven to be difficult for me. The numerous hotels/meeting rooms I have priced are way too expensive ($700) for the event room because of it being on a weekend and the amount of time (8hrs)…and you can't even bring your own drinks!

I have also contacted other types of rooms like community centres but they are not open very long on the weekend and have extra fees that make it more expensive if you use the facility outside the hours of operation. 

 

The only cheap solutions I found were a couple of schools that are renting to the classrooms and we could arrange the tables inside. Parking is free at one of them and its seem close to the subway station. Here is a pic to get an idea of what I'm talking about 

 

This is $200 for like 8 hrs on a saturday any time of the day. 

 

The other place that is cost effective is my sister in laws building large conference room. This is located up in richmond hill so people without a car might find it difficult to get there however the large table has 6 receptacles and there are 8 on the wall.Here is a pic to get an idea.

 

This is $250 for 8 hrs on a sat as well, any time. 

 

Now I've been told that these locations will not be suitable so now I am asking for EVERYONES help in searching for a location in the TO area. I am not from TO so I may not know about certain locations that are available to rent. I have no problem calling and pricing the location and even putting up $200 for the room and then making most of that money back either by raffle or small entrance fee but i need suggestions now, I am at a dead end!

 

I hope this post will not be discouraging and I want it to promote discussion for location ideas. Without the location this event cannot move forward, I look forward to reading some suggestions.

 

As always, here is a link of an updated spreadsheet.

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhipEdDGaHW4dGV5N0tjS2JwVFNxRDE0YWdNVXVWWFE&usp=sharing

 

Cheers and thanks for your help!


Edited by merkil - 2/16/13 at 10:21am
post #114 of 247

I'll ask the powers that be at work if it's at all possible to rent out the Lecture Theater. I work in a hospital, so it'll definitely be an unorthodox place for a headphone meet, but the room is large and there's tables and chairs.

 

I'm confident it'll be cheap, if not free, but I have no idea, since I only really set up the room, never rent it out.

post #115 of 247

II'm up for the Richmond Hill Venue - not trying to be self-serving, but RH is only a one hour drive for me as opposed to close to 2 hours for downtown Toronto.

A sincere thanks to Merkll for all the time and headaches he has endured trying to co-ordinate this meet.

post #116 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

I'll ask the powers that be at work if it's at all possible to rent out the Lecture Theater. I work in a hospital, so it'll definitely be an unorthodox place for a headphone meet, but the room is large and there's tables and chairs.

I'm confident it'll be cheap, if not free, but I have no idea, since I only really set up the room, never rent it out.

Thank you for checking on this location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post

II'm up for the Richmond Hill Venue - not trying to be self-serving, but RH is only a one hour drive for me as opposed to close to 2 hours for downtown Toronto.
A sincere thanks to Merkll for all the time and headaches he has endured trying to co-ordinate this meet.

The conference room is nice, I just don't know if it will have enough table space as its just one large table.
post #117 of 247

I would be fine with either location. 

post #118 of 247
Im working in a hotel il go ask if I can get discount

We can get this for 150-200 I think. Can fit in around 40-50people. we can bring our own drinks its located at bramalea near airport 15mins bus from humber college but I need specific date and I still need to confirm until what time we can stay
Edited by meiaen - 2/16/13 at 5:01pm
post #119 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiaen View Post

Im working in a hotel il go ask if I can get discount

We can get this for 150-200 I think. Can fit in around 40-50people. we can bring our own drinks its located at bramalea near airport 15mins bus from humber college but I need specific date and I still need to confirm until what time we can stay

 

This sounds like a good option. the only issue with RH is those of us who don't drive, will have difficulties getting there. Myself included.

 

I've got a few friends with some studio spaces that might be usable, but I'm waiting to hear back, it's a friend of a friend kind of thing, so I'm not holding my breath on one of them, but the other is near Vic Park station. I'm not sure the hospital lecture theater will be a go, it's usually booked.

 

I'm a little jealous of the front page of Head-Fi having all these solid meets being advertised, and we're here struggling for a space to have our meet. And this thread is getting stale, which I don't want to happen. I've been using every resource possible to find a venue for our meet, I want this to happen.

post #120 of 247

Oh, I'd also like to add that I have FXZ200s for sale for $210, I'm offering to the GTA before I go to the FS/FT forum.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: