I recently had my most prized possession, my shure SE535's, stolen out of my car while i was in class. needless to say i'm utterly crushed, as I used them every day (and often even fell asleep wearing them.) So i'm on the hunt for new headphones, but can only afford either used shures or something else, as it took me a long time to save up for the 535's in the first place. I can't place an ad looking to buy in the trade forum because i'm a new member, so here is what i'm wondering: What are some alternatives that are comparable to the shure (in my case, definitely for fit/comfort, shures were super comfy to me, and passive noise isolation, as my room is very loud and the shures were absolutely excellent) of course sound quality is important too, but it needs to preferably have all these qualities. any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 10/1/12
- productEtymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Cobalt)tagged by System, 10/1/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/1/12
- productSennheiser IE80tagged by System, 10/1/12
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 10/1/12
- productSony MDR-7550 In-Ear Monitors (IEM)tagged by System, 10/1/12
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 10/1/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Do you own various sound signatures or stick to one? Last post on 9/23/12 at 2:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which IEM to Buy?????? - Help! HA-FX700, SM3, UM3x, RE0, ER-4p, CK10, DBA-02 Last post on 8/26/11 at 4:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The short and simple of it is this is the best DAP for the price I have owned. I have used all the main stream players, (IPods, Zune, Creative Zen Player, etc) and I will never go back. Besides the...
I really like this headphone. I've been trying various headphones in this pricerange, and decided on this one. But maybe the Price is a bit too high, when comparing to the first Creative...
As I contemplated giving these a go, I became aware that there was one thing that I wasn't too thrilled about. No mic or controls. I am a person constantly on the go, so most of my listening...
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 99/26/12 at 6:58pmpost #3 of 99/27/12 at 6:10amThread Starterpost #4 of 99/27/12 at 6:13amQuote:
Sennheiser IE80, Sony MDR-7550s. If you really love your highs look into the EX1000. The IE80s are on sale at amazon.italy for around $260.00. MSRP is $450.00. I got my MDR-7550s for $250.00 on sale. Not sure if you can find the EX1000s for less than $350.00, I'm sure its possible. They just didn't agree with my ears when it came to the treble. But their bass was superb. The MDR-7550s manages to fix the issues I had on the Sonys :).
Edited by lee730 - 9/27/12 at 6:16ampost #5 of 99/27/12 at 7:22am
All great recommendations but nothing isolates as good as Shure olives. If you can deal with little less bass HF5s would allow you to go through a few without breaking the bank and you can use your olives on them.
Edited by goodvibes - 9/27/12 at 7:25ampost #6 of 99/27/12 at 7:30ampost #7 of 99/27/12 at 7:59am
HF5 sounds more similar to the Shure. The 4p has over 6db more output at around 15khz than either of the others.
Here's another graph with the Sony 7550 which look close but they can't use olives. UE600s aren't too far off either. There's more to it than just FR curves but they'll get you in the ballpark.post #8 of 99/27/12 at 12:16pmThread Starter
yeah i truly love those shure foam tips. Honestly after i learned how to put them in well, and wore them for around ten minutes, i could no longer feel them in there, they were that comfortable to me. so any replacement would have to have that over the ear low profile fit that the shure's had. i'll look into the suggestions you guys have made. anyone have any experience with the next step down from the 535? 425 i think it is. i'm guessing the fit and noise isolation is the same, but is it a significant drop in sound quality? they are quite a bit cheaper. I'm currently searching places for used shures and the sony models. I have no experience with high end sony headphones, only the ~80$ ones and they definitely didn't suit my tastes. I'm sure the high end ones are much better though. Another model i'm interested in are westone 3's (4 if i can find a great deal) i've read several reviews that go back and forth between them and the 535's on sound quality, but haven't heard anything related to comfort/noise isolation. Everyone i know is completely astounded that i dont just buy a $20 pair (and much less why the hell i would spend $350 on headphones) so it's nice to talk to people that can relate :D. I understand it's a little ridiculous to spend that much for a pair of headphones but then again I use them more than anything else and i could just never go back to the cheap ones. no way.post #9 of 99/28/12 at 9:18amThread Starter
Thank you to everyone that messaged and gave suggestions. I got a good deal on a pair of Westone 4R's, I will let you guys know how they are when they arrive! I'm sure i'll appreciate them more than the dude that stole my shures :DReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 2 seconds ago
- › The Hobbit Movie Thread (and anything else related to Lord of the... 3 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The... 25 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 55 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › Comfortable Headphones for Indie/Dubstep 1 minute ago
- › Numbers,.... Male vs Female HeadFiers? 1 minute ago
- › The Best Portable Headphones EVER? (NOT A HELP/RECOMMENDATION THREAD) 1 minute ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe