I have been perusing the threads like mad in trying to decide which DAP I will get, either the Studio V or taking the plunge and getting an Ibasso DX100. Now, I know that the Ibasso has the better sound quality, but is it that much better than the Studio V to justify spending about 2 1/2 times the cost? I am digging the fact that the Studio has different firmware to match the type of IEM as I have high end IEMs of both BA and Dynamic (Westone 4 and Sony DX1000). My only set of cans is the Audio Technica ATH-50. I also listen to a very wide variety of music depending on my mood-from Punk and Hardcore to Electronic and even Jazz. I am looking for transparency and clarity and a flexible EQ.
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- cleaning spray with my ibasso dx100 Last post on 3/15/14 at 4:08pm in Portable Source Gear
- Mediamonkey for Metro looks good for Windows 8/8.1 Last post on 3/1/14 at 5:17pm in Computer Audio
- how can i input music to the DX100 / Hdp-r10 with Mac OS X?! Last post on 2/7/14 at 1:32pm in Portable Source Gear
- Ibasso still in business ? Last post on 2/9/14 at 4:50am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Ibasso dx100 vs CLAS DB + Rx MK3 B Last post on 2/13/14 at 10:37am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
Ibasso DX100 v. Hisoundaudio Studio Vpost #1 of 129/24/12 at 9:55pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 129/24/12 at 10:00pmThread Starterpost #3 of 129/24/12 at 10:32pmpost #4 of 129/24/12 at 10:40pm
the V and dx100 sounds close IME, but the dx100 wins because of better resolution and transparency without sounding "too harsh" in some bright headphones unlike studio v.
i also own both and both died on me and sent for RMA and repair lelz
i hope it wont happen to you guys!post #5 of 129/25/12 at 12:12ampost #6 of 129/25/12 at 12:21amI've played around with the Studio V & whilst the SQ alone doesn't justify the 2.5x (or more if you bought the V & 50% off when they had a promo) of the DX100 price, to me the UI is worth some value too. But it really depends on your use. I'd agree that the V is much more pocketable when "on the go". But if sitting down in a cafe for an hr or two (like what I'm doing whist typing this) the DX100 & it's UI (even though slow) is more user-friendly in flipping songs, & choosing albums. I probably have something like 634 tracks (most are 24/192, then the rest are 24/96, 24/44.1, 16/44.1, & a few 320kbps lossy). Flipping through so many tracks on the V will drive me wild.post #7 of 129/25/12 at 4:01am
Whilst i don't own the Studio V or iBasso DX100 i do own the Studio V 3rd Anniversary. It is a fine sounding player and apparently is much quieter than the Studio V. (less background hiss). It has a very dynamic sound but i think it is probably better with less sensetive IEMs. I use it with the Sennheiser IE80s and the sound is really good.post #8 of 124/10/13 at 5:35pm
Don't have experience with the iBasso (actually in this thread as part of research, to decide if I should splurge on the dx)...have had both Studio V, and now the Anniversary. The Anniversary indeed has less hiss and is slightly better sounding than the original. They both have had problems that had me send them back to China, and both have maddening UI and general use issues...tagging is difficult, finding things is challenging, and my Anniversary isn't recognized by my PC (this is after I got it back from repair to China), so I have to drag files to an SD card directly, and can't use the internal memory (only 2gb anyway, so not such a loss, but still...). Jack at HiSound has been very accomodating, though, but sending the unit back is expense, and months of living without the player.post #9 of 124/11/13 at 3:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by doctorjazz
Don't have experience with the iBasso (actually in this thread as part of research, to decide if I should splurge on the dx)...have had both Studio V, and now the Anniversary. The Anniversary indeed has less hiss and is slightly better sounding than the original. They both have had problems that had me send them back to China, and both have maddening UI and general use issues...tagging is difficult, finding things is challenging, and my Anniversary isn't recognized by my PC (this is after I got it back from repair to China), so I have to drag files to an SD card directly, and can't use the internal memory (only 2gb anyway, so not such a loss, but still...). Jack at HiSound has been very accomodating, though, but sending the unit back is expense, and months of living without the player.
Edited by david1978jp - 4/11/13 at 5:17pmpost #10 of 124/12/13 at 6:10am
I bet it's a corrupted windows USB driver. I've had that happen with other devices. Fortunately not with my Studio on 3 different PCs.
Never heard a DX100 so no idea on the value equation.
Edited by goodvibes - 4/12/13 at 7:33ampost #11 of 124/12/13 at 2:32pm
i just read in one of the threads that a new version of the studio is coming out in 2 months time, should i wait or jump on the DX100! what i want to know is.. is there a big jump in sound quality between either the 3rd anv / stock v & the DX100?? and which amp is better?? is there any1 using them with ciems/ universals? which one do u prefer?
Edited by toxicdrift - 4/12/13 at 2:33pmpost #12 of 124/13/13 at 2:35am
- Ibasso DX100 v. Hisoundaudio Studio V
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 1 minute ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. Phase 2: Poll running and the micro iDSD... 2 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Dutch Headphone Meet 2014 (Germans & Belgians welcome!) 3 minutes ago
- › New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland 4 minutes ago
- › Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Can't change my password. 6 minutes ago
- › Have IE80s and want something neutral now. Where do I look? Heir... 6 minutes ago
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob