I have been perusing the threads like mad in trying to decide which DAP I will get, either the Studio V or taking the plunge and getting an Ibasso DX100. Now, I know that the Ibasso has the better sound quality, but is it that much better than the Studio V to justify spending about 2 1/2 times the cost? I am digging the fact that the Studio has different firmware to match the type of IEM as I have high end IEMs of both BA and Dynamic (Westone 4 and Sony DX1000). My only set of cans is the Audio Technica ATH-50. I also listen to a very wide variety of music depending on my mood-from Punk and Hardcore to Electronic and even Jazz. I am looking for transparency and clarity and a flexible EQ.
- productiBasso DX100 Reference DAPtagged by System, 3/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones, going from 91db to 96 db, would it make a noticeable difference with a DAP ? Last post on 12/4/13 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- recommended player with line out and bluetooth output, support for microSD? Last post on 12/4/13 at 9:22am in Portable Source Gear
- iBasso DX100 Last post on 11/13/13 at 6:50am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Ibasso DX100 Last post on 11/8/13 at 7:52pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Selling my iBasso DX100 Japanese Version (aka HDP-R10) Last post on 11/4/13 at 9:38pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
Ibasso DX100 v. Hisoundaudio Studio Vpost #1 of 129/24/12 at 9:55pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 129/24/12 at 10:00pmThread Starterpost #3 of 129/24/12 at 10:32pmpost #4 of 129/24/12 at 10:40pm
the V and dx100 sounds close IME, but the dx100 wins because of better resolution and transparency without sounding "too harsh" in some bright headphones unlike studio v.
i also own both and both died on me and sent for RMA and repair lelz
i hope it wont happen to you guys!post #5 of 129/25/12 at 12:12ampost #6 of 129/25/12 at 12:21amI've played around with the Studio V & whilst the SQ alone doesn't justify the 2.5x (or more if you bought the V & 50% off when they had a promo) of the DX100 price, to me the UI is worth some value too. But it really depends on your use. I'd agree that the V is much more pocketable when "on the go". But if sitting down in a cafe for an hr or two (like what I'm doing whist typing this) the DX100 & it's UI (even though slow) is more user-friendly in flipping songs, & choosing albums. I probably have something like 634 tracks (most are 24/192, then the rest are 24/96, 24/44.1, 16/44.1, & a few 320kbps lossy). Flipping through so many tracks on the V will drive me wild.post #7 of 129/25/12 at 4:01am
Whilst i don't own the Studio V or iBasso DX100 i do own the Studio V 3rd Anniversary. It is a fine sounding player and apparently is much quieter than the Studio V. (less background hiss). It has a very dynamic sound but i think it is probably better with less sensetive IEMs. I use it with the Sennheiser IE80s and the sound is really good.post #8 of 124/10/13 at 5:35pm
Don't have experience with the iBasso (actually in this thread as part of research, to decide if I should splurge on the dx)...have had both Studio V, and now the Anniversary. The Anniversary indeed has less hiss and is slightly better sounding than the original. They both have had problems that had me send them back to China, and both have maddening UI and general use issues...tagging is difficult, finding things is challenging, and my Anniversary isn't recognized by my PC (this is after I got it back from repair to China), so I have to drag files to an SD card directly, and can't use the internal memory (only 2gb anyway, so not such a loss, but still...). Jack at HiSound has been very accomodating, though, but sending the unit back is expense, and months of living without the player.post #9 of 124/11/13 at 3:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by doctorjazz
Don't have experience with the iBasso (actually in this thread as part of research, to decide if I should splurge on the dx)...have had both Studio V, and now the Anniversary. The Anniversary indeed has less hiss and is slightly better sounding than the original. They both have had problems that had me send them back to China, and both have maddening UI and general use issues...tagging is difficult, finding things is challenging, and my Anniversary isn't recognized by my PC (this is after I got it back from repair to China), so I have to drag files to an SD card directly, and can't use the internal memory (only 2gb anyway, so not such a loss, but still...). Jack at HiSound has been very accomodating, though, but sending the unit back is expense, and months of living without the player.
Edited by david1978jp - 4/11/13 at 5:17pmpost #10 of 124/12/13 at 6:10am
I bet it's a corrupted windows USB driver. I've had that happen with other devices. Fortunately not with my Studio on 3 different PCs.
Never heard a DX100 so no idea on the value equation.
Edited by goodvibes - 4/12/13 at 7:33ampost #11 of 124/12/13 at 2:32pm
i just read in one of the threads that a new version of the studio is coming out in 2 months time, should i wait or jump on the DX100! what i want to know is.. is there a big jump in sound quality between either the 3rd anv / stock v & the DX100?? and which amp is better?? is there any1 using them with ciems/ universals? which one do u prefer?
Edited by toxicdrift - 4/12/13 at 2:33pmpost #12 of 124/13/13 at 2:35am
- Ibasso DX100 v. Hisoundaudio Studio V
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 1 minute ago
- › Night Time Shots Of Our Tubes Glowing -- Post Them Here!! 4 minutes ago
- › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S 4 6 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 6 minutes ago
- › 2013 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange 8 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 9 minutes ago
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 9 minutes ago
- › Hd555 to Hd598 question and where to buy 9 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi