I'm doing something wrong. After flashing with 2.01B and running a number of Blue Coast DSDs through HQPlayer(DoP Marker selected), then FooBar2000 1.1.6 with DSD and DSP converter libs, then JRiver - I still get only a crummy 192.0k showing. Under the A8 menu, I tried enabling DSD over PCM and back again - no joy, then Direct>On - no joy. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBenchmark - DAC-1 PRE - Preamplifier / DAC / Headphone Amptagged by System, 11/19/12
- productFostex HP-A8(C)tagged by System, 11/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Fostex HP A8C Last post on 11/28/13 at 11:01am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Fostex HP-A8 dac/amp NEW - SOLD Last post on 10/8/13 at 2:11pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Fantastic Condition TH-900 + HP-A8C Combo Last post on 9/12/13 at 12:47am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Best solid state amp/dac in one unit Last post on 7/24/13 at 7:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Fostex HP-A8 can be a good option to pair with the Audeze LCD-2?? Last post on 8/27/13 at 12:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Initial Impressions of the Fostex HP-A8 DAC Amp - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 3611/14/12 at 6:02pmThread Starter
Hmmm...I am not familiar with HQPlayer but this is good feedback for Fostex. I use Audirvana+ and after I set Native DSD Compatibility to DoP (standard 1.0), I have no problems and get the USB DSD 2.8MHz on my HP-A8 display.
There's a possibility that Fostex may not have tried all software players for the HP-A8.post #18 of 3611/15/12 at 4:51pmpost #19 of 3611/15/12 at 7:10pm
I have a Marantz SA8003 and have plugged in a LCD2 rev.2 into the headphone out - no contest. Compared with (OK, this is not fair but the SA8003 feeds it through Kimber Silver Streak) my Lebel CS300X and the A8C, the soundstage and dynamics are compressed. It's actually not bad - depending on what you're comparing it to.post #20 of 3611/15/12 at 7:47pmpost #21 of 3611/17/12 at 10:51amQuote:Originally Posted by HPManiac
I have a Marantz SA8003 and have plugged in a LCD2 rev.2 into the headphone out - no contest. Compared with (OK, this is not fair but the SA8003 feeds it through Kimber Silver Streak) my Lebel CS300X and the A8C, the soundstage and dynamics are compressed. It's actually not bad - depending on what you're comparing it to.
So if I get it right the HP-A8 is way better than the SA8003 as a headphone amp?
The LCD2 is pretty hard to drive though and needs a lot of juice. Any low impedance (closed) cans you tried both amps with?
Edited by AppleheadMay - 11/19/12 at 8:36pmpost #22 of 3611/19/12 at 8:13pmpost #23 of 3611/19/12 at 8:29pmThread Starterpost #24 of 3611/19/12 at 8:36pmpost #25 of 3611/19/12 at 10:13pmThread StarterQuote:The menu options basically offer 1x, 2x & 4x but a max of 192kHz. i.e. if you had 96 it'll just 2x up sample. & at 192 it wouldn't up-sample at all.
But I'm kinda with you. Mine is set at 1x native.post #26 of 3611/19/12 at 11:07pmpost #27 of 3611/22/12 at 6:26amQuote:
That's my take on it as far as sound quality is concerned. The SA8003's headphone output is (to my mind) a little more than just an afterthought but it really is out of its league in the company mentioned. As far as closed 'phones are concerned, I have tried a ATH-ESW10Jpn, a Senn HD280Pro, a Beyer DT1350 and the AKG K550s with the SA8003. The K550s were the most listenable.post #28 of 3611/22/12 at 11:59pm
I know the SA-KI Pearl's output but don't have one. It should be on par with the 8003.
The NA7004 I have would probably be a bit less.
And the PM-KI Pearl less again, I found the quality of the phones output of Marantz amps (not talking about the vintage gear) not to be as good as the ones on their players.
So either it'll be a HP-A8 or a NA-11S1 with a Zana ... again.
Bit of a price difference though. :)post #29 of 3612/14/12 at 4:25pm
Just got this baby. Am listening to it on my LCD2s. One track I used to hear clipping (using HD650s and other gear) in the voice of a female singer is now smoothed over which makes me happy not to hear this annoying imperfection as I did before.post #30 of 3612/15/12 at 9:52amThread StarterQuote:
Welcome to the HP-A8 bandwagon! It's actually quite a decent DAC/Amp. What firmware are you on?
- Initial Impressions of the Fostex HP-A8 DAC Amp
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing... 4 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison 2 minutes ago
- › Legendary synergy? 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio E17 keeps crashing my Windows 8 laptop 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › What to choose for under 100 us dollars?? 5 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Review 6 minutes ago
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe