Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best open headphone for rock and metal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best open headphone for rock and metal? - Page 4

post #46 of 109

I'm pretty much in the same dilemma. Having been a Grado fan (SR325is, HF-2)...I was planning on upgrading to an RS1 some time back. But recently I heard the Mad Dog modded T50RP and damn...it sounds great! I don't have any Grados to compare. So now I'm tempted to try some high end orthos, like the HE500.
 

post #47 of 109

Having the SR-009s for 24 hours now, I can clearly say that these are the best metal headphones I've heard. And I thought the LCD-3/HD800s were quick. wink.gif

post #48 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Having the SR-009s for 24 hours now, I can clearly say that these are the best metal headphones I've heard. And I thought the LCD-3/HD800s were quick. wink.gif

Just?

post #49 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Just?

Absolutely not. Just trying to stay on topic with this thread. smile.gif

 

Here's what I've thrown at them so far:

 

Jazz

Rock

Hard rock

Acoustic 

Classical

Macedonian folk music (I know this isn't very popular here tongue.gif)

 

There isn't anything that they don't sound fantastic on so far.

post #50 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Having the SR-009s for 24 hours now, I can clearly say that these are the best metal headphones I've heard. And I thought the LCD-3/HD800s were quick. wink.gif


Now how much did they cost again??tongue_smile.gif

post #51 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyurMaster View Post


Now how much did they cost again??tongue_smile.gif

Cheap they ain't. tongue.gif

post #52 of 109

Based on genres and budget, I'd suggest Audeze or Grado.

post #53 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Having the SR-009s for 24 hours now, I can clearly say that these are the best metal headphones I've heard. And I thought the LCD-3/HD800s were quick. wink.gif

I'm happy you like them dude! I know I talked them up a ton to you and you seem to share my opinion. They're basically the perfect headphone....I wish I could afford some...some day it'll happen. And until then, all the parts I bought for a KGSSHV sit in the closet -_-
post #54 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusSound View Post

Based on genres and budget, I'd suggest Audeze or Grado.

I'd personally go Audeze over Grado. I've owned most Grado cans and have heard the PS1000s extensively over the years and they just couldn't keep up with the LCD-2/3s to my ears. But the advantage with Grados is your upstream rig doesn't have to be as pricey. Just get a reasonable DAC and the MAD Ear+HD and be done with it.smile.gif

post #55 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post


I'm happy you like them dude! I know I talked them up a ton to you and you seem to share my opinion. They're basically the perfect headphone....I wish I could afford some...some day it'll happen. And until then, all the parts I bought for a KGSSHV sit in the closet -_-

 

The more I listen to them, the more I agree with your statement. smile.gif Can't find a flaw....except for the price that is. tongue.gif Don't worry, my wallet doesn't hold grudges. smile.gif

post #56 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

The more I listen to them, the more I agree with your statement. smile.gif  Can't find a flaw....except for the price that is. tongue.gif  Don't worry, my wallet doesn't hold grudges. smile.gif

Now you know what I was talking about when I said they were stax that actually had impact, they really are something special.

The he-6s are close though wink.gif
post #57 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post


Now you know what I was talking about when I said they were stax that actually had impact, they really are something special.
The he-6s are close though wink.gif

 

The definitely are Stax that actually have impact. That we`re in complete agreement. smile.gif

 

I can see the resemblances with the HE_6s, but to my ears there's a reasonable chasm between them. Don't  get me wrong I really liked my HE-6s when I owned them and on my brothers McIntosh amp they really sang....but the SR-009s are just something very special.

post #58 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

The definitely are Stax that actually have impact. That we`re in complete agreement. smile.gif

I can see the resemblances with the HE_6s, but to my ears there's a reasonable chasm between them. Don't  get me wrong I really liked my HE-6s when I owned them and on my brothers McIntosh amp they really sang....but the SR-009s are just something very special.

Oh for sure, the he-6s are the closest any headphone comes to sounding the same as them though. Very similar tonal signature, slightly edgier, and with a bit less detail. But I'll certainly agree that the 009s have something special, they bring all those pieces together in an amazing way.

I just grabbed a first watt f1 to power some he-6s with biggrin.gif
post #59 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post


I just grabbed a first watt f1 to power some he-6s with biggrin.gif

 

Nice, heard many good things about the First Watt F1. 

post #60 of 109
Thread Starter 

I just recently found out that I prefer a darker and thicker signature for rock and metal, so for now, I'm sticking with the Hifimans or audeze. I'll still try to listen to some grado's though. 

 

Man I wish I had the SR-009's :P

 

Also, do you guys think the HE-6 is better for metal than the HE-500? If so, it will be LCD-2 vs HE-6 for me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best open headphone for rock and metal?