Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp/DAC for my DT770/80?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp/DAC for my DT770/80?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Been using my DT770 80 ohms about a year now without an amp. They actually sound pretty boring without one. No great bass as there should be, sound stage isn't so great etc.

I have a Denon home receiver in our living room, I think it gives my Phones a slightly better kick. Anyways, I need an amp/DAC to my own room. So which one, an amp or a DAC would I benefit the most?

I've been looking at Schiit Asgard and HRT Music Streamer II, impressions on them?
My source is an iPad 3gen/iPhone 5. Price range is about 250 dollars!

T
Edited by Texpect - 9/22/12 at 1:25pm
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
bumpin
post #3 of 9

Can't say this is the best, but I was very happy with my DT770/80's off my Little Dot 1+ and Keces DA-151 DAC. I had the amp first and thought it was great. When I added the DAC I thought I had a whole new system it made that much difference for me. The LD1+ you can get new for about $150 shipped, not sure what that DAC is going for now. I'm sure there is options out now that are as good or better for the same price I paid for mine or less. The DT770's are great headphones when amped. They are a bit recessed in the upper areas, but the lowend is a lot of fun and I thought they had great soundstage. They are a very fun headphone for sure.

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post

Can't say this is the best, but I was very happy with my DT770/80's off my Little Dot 1+ and Keces DA-151 DAC. I had the amp first and thought it was great. When I added the DAC I thought I had a whole new system it made that much difference for me. The LD1+ you can get new for about $150 shipped, not sure what that DAC is going for now. I'm sure there is options out now that are as good or better for the same price I paid for mine or less. The DT770's are great headphones when amped. They are a bit recessed in the upper areas, but the lowend is a lot of fun and I thought they had great soundstage. They are a very fun headphone for sure.
Thanks a lot! The soundstage is amazing on them already, exactly smily_headphones1.gif

Are there any solid state amps someone could recommend? That's because the tubes might be a problem..
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texpect View Post

Been using my DT770 80 ohms about a year now without an amp. They actually sound pretty boring without one. No great bass as there should be, sound stage isn't so great etc.
I have a Denon home receiver in our living room, I think it gives my Phones a slightly better kick. Anyways, I need an amp/DAC to my own room. So which one, an amp or a DAC would I benefit the most?
I've been looking at Schiit Asgard and HRT Music Streamer II, impressions on them?
My source is an iPad 3gen/iPhone 5. Price range is about 250 dollars!
T

It's $150 for an external DAC that can work with the iPhone and does not include an amplifier.

Apple products usually come with decent DACs.

I would say to get the Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier, also get a few spare batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC battery charger, total cost around $70.

post #6 of 9

You can add the FiiO E9 desktop amp to the E11 and have a really decent setup that will power most headphones, give you a DAC, and allow portable and desktop options. You'd still come in well below your budget.

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer View Post

You can add the FiiO E9 desktop amp to the E11 and have a really decent setup that will power most headphones, give you a DAC, and allow portable and desktop options. You'd still come in well below your budget.
Thanks both of you! But if I'm going to buy some higher end headphones in future like HD650 are they able to be driven by FiiO? Or are there other choices if I'm considering to change my 'phones?
post #8 of 9

From what I read, the FiiO will drive them no problem. There's tons of choices, some good, some bad. That's the problem, there's TOO MANY choices and I am in the exact same boat as you right now. I killed my LD1+ so I am trying to figure out a new amp to get with about the same budget as you. I could go with the same amp I already have and be happy, but curiosity has me wondering if there's something better out there within my budget. It's just that all the options make my head swim.

post #9 of 9

Consider the Matrix M stage. They do a nice job with the HD600 and beyers. 

 

I've seen people using it with the 650's as well. (it drives them just fine, not at full potential)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp/DAC for my DT770/80?