- 28 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 9/27/12
- productBowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/27/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productMartinLogan Mikros 70tagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- *NOOB* Looking for starter headphones ~ $200-250 Last post on 11/22/12 at 12:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for first pair of non-IEM 'phones Last post on 11/4/12 at 12:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- first timer Last post on 10/20/12 at 11:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for me? Last post on 10/9/12 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need suggestions for Stylish headphones for Wife? Last post on 8/23/12 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Today is my long overdue review of the Cayin i5. I had trouble getting this review complete due to a holiday emergency and a slow recovery however, better late than never. *disclaimer* I've...
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
DT 880 250 Ohm very nicepost #1 of 49/22/12 at 8:21amThread StarterIt has been an interesting journey for me to get to the Beyerdynamic DT 880 premiums. I've been trying to update my headphone/portables setups. On the move, I've been using the Etymotics HF3s. They sound great. I've ruined them a few times with sweat, so I picked up a pair of sennheiser in-ears designed for sports to solve that problem. That worked out well. I then contemplated additional quality in-ears for office and non-arduous activity. I thought I might replace the etys instead of sending them back in for warranty repair/replacement. I picked up the Martin Logan Mikros, but they were muddy in the mids to bass (a bit one note) and had very rolled off treble. So, I thought perhaps for home use I might go back to full-size cans. I haven't had to use headphones at home except in a studio types setting in which I use Sennheiser HD280 pros or a very old pair of Sony V6s. For music listening I use my Bowers and Wilkins 603/SVS-sub setup (home theater includes the larger 600 center and 685 surrounds). But, alas, a young child has pushed me to contemplate a nice set of headphones once more. I tried Bowers and Wilkins P5 and I like those, might even buy them for office use. But, they didn't quite do it for me as a replacement for my regular speaker music listening experience. After reading through countless threads here and without access to a high end hometheater/audio store to try things out, I ordered the DT880 Premiums (250 Ohm) along with an E7 amp. . In a word, beautiful. I think the headphones are great. The amp is weak. And, I'm not sure why I bought it in retrospect. Since I have the studio equipment, I have a presonus firepod and the headphones sound excellent through that as they do through my Denon receiver. I do like that with the Etymotics that the E7 can amp the bass a little (the Etys sound much better to me with the E7 bass 1 setting). In any case, I very much appreciate the sound signature of the 880s. The treble is excellent with lots of clarity and spaciousness through a surprisingly wide range of genres. So, thanks head-fi, I am glad I found this website.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 49/22/12 at 11:53pm
Glad you're liking them. I have a pair of 880-600's and I don't think I'll ever let them go. Just wanted to mention that if you haven't tried them with a tube amp, that's something you might want to look into. They sound even better through a good OTL design.post #3 of 49/23/12 at 7:32ampost #4 of 49/23/12 at 9:45amThread StarterI don't have the 770 or 990 for comparison. The 880s are my first open headphone. My dad has Stax electrostatics, but those are out of my price range and I've played around with some of the open Sennheiser's. I like having a relatively neutral headphone because I listen to a large range of styles. And, also, I figure that the studio engineer/composer has already mixed their music with the emphases they wanted, so anything that adds to that is coloring the sound in a way not intended by the artist. Thus, I generally favor neutral headphones/speakers. The 880s seem to fit the bill quite well. I've listened to rock, classical, jazz (very nice), prog metal, and blues thus far and all have been enjoyable.
- DT 880 250 Ohm very nice
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Closed Back (Over Ear) Headphones Options $400 or Under 38 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › Apogee Duet DAC ROCKS! 2 minutes ago
- › OHIO Meeting？Columbus/Cincy/Cleveland 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) 4 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › Cayin i5 by Voxata
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear