- 110 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Closed cans for under 700$ Last post on 10/29/12 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choose between 3 headphones for closed back, mobile use. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Good pair of headphones/amp combo for travel and at home use? Last post on 10/20/12 at 2:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon 5000 HORROR SHOW! Last post on 1/10/13 at 5:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help with model choice (akg, beyer, ultrasone) Last post on 9/12/12 at 8:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Summary I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day. At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass...
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
Denon AH-D5000 vs AH-D600 - Page 3post #31 of 3810/2/12 at 11:21amThread StarterWhat do you think smerf?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 3810/2/12 at 6:58pm
I'm liking them! They are flat with maybe a slightly exagerated base, but I think that will go away with more burn in. The base is also kind of boomy, and bleeds into the mids, again hoping this will go away with burn in. They give good passive isolation, but are very loose on the head. Also i They look so much better the both the d2000 and 5000. Im very satisfied right now! As they continue to burn in I'll give you more info. :Dpost #33 of 3810/3/12 at 9:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by lightningsmerf
I'm liking them! They are flat with maybe a slightly exagerated base, but I think that will go away with more burn in. The base is also kind of boomy, and bleeds into the mids, again hoping this will go away with burn in. They give good passive isolation, but are very loose on the head. Also i They look so much better the both the d2000 and 5000. Im very satisfied right now! As they continue to burn in I'll give you more info. :D
how would you compare the head clamping compared to your 598s?post #34 of 3810/5/12 at 9:08pmQuote:
The HD598's are defently more comfy. They apply slightly more pressure tot he head keeping them snug and very comfy. While the d600's are very loose and basically sit on the top of your ear. Both are comfy, the HD598's are just more comfy. :Dpost #35 of 3810/5/12 at 9:11pmpost #36 of 3810/5/12 at 9:17pmpost #37 of 3810/8/12 at 5:41pm
Well. I guess I'll just toss my own point of view into this.
I don't feel like doing a review so here are my impressions.
i apologize in advance for the more than multiple incorrect punctuation.d600 impression vs d2k.1. subbass is there but not as prominent. if you push the headphones closer to your ears though, it helps.which leads to the first drawback for the d600s. it fits loosely. helps with comfort, but takes away from sound.when i say sound, i specifically only mean subbass. the rest of the spectrum seems unaffected by pushing the headphones closer.2. definitely has a better midbass vs d2ks. every kick is heard on it whereas with d2ks, that "oomph" from a kick is clearly underneath the subbass. again, pushing the headphones closer to your ears brings the midbass and subbass closer to the same level (with midbass still higher than subbass though).3. d600s are faster than d2ks when it comes to bass. I'm not audiophilic enough to tell the difference in speed for mids and highs, but bass speed is definitely faster on d600s. meaning it has a shorter decay time and it's tighter.4. treble. man. treble. i remember when I first got my d2ks (before burn in and daily use) I thought "what are all theses s's doing in my songs?". with the d600s i thought: i hear there should be s's here but they're not (or barely present)".my point is this. the level of treble on the d600s is lower than on the d2ks. which makes it seem like there's less detail.my point is also that sibilance is less on the d600s.so the past 4 conclusions were based on random dubstep tracks I rarely listen to even though I have them in my library.I then moved to a song I know and like (James Blake - Limit to Your Love). The difference between the d2ks and d600s become more apparent but they are the same conclusions as before. except this one.1. mids are more recessed on the d600s than the d2ks.to confirm this conclusion, I popped in Adele's 21 album and Lauryn Hill's MTV Unplugged 2.0 recording (specifically O Jerusalem and Adam lives in theory).and the conclusion?once again, the subbbass is more prominent on the d2ks. but back to mids.d600 mids are definitely more recessed than d2ks.however. somehow the vocals sound more intimate. so if the only thing you really listen for in mids is vocals, d600s are oh so slightly better than d2ks. but if you listen to more, again, the mids are more recessed on d600s.oh and. I know you should know that the mids SHOULD sound colored because these ARE NOT neutral phones, but the d600s mids sound more colored.At this point, I don't plan on keeping these.i was hoping the d600s would be a more portable d2k with better isolation and mids.Yes I believe in burn in but I also believe burn in doesn't change the sound much more than the initial.Despite the much greater portability due to the removable cables, better isolation, slightly more "ruggedness", and sexy look (YES, they are sexier than pictures make them seem) I can't justify spending that much on them when I got my d2k's for much much less.And then it hit me. I know these are colored but, wonder what they sound like with jazz. So I did just that. Played jazz through both the d2ks and d600s.CLEARLY, the mids and treble are more apparent on the d2ks. saxophones and trumpets sound much more beautiful and closer to realism. The sparkle on the d2ks is also clearly superior. It reflects my earlier comment that the d600s mids sound more colored.Lastly, It takes too much intimate listening to comment on soundstage and detail and I don't feel like putting in the time for that. The first thing I look for in headphones is the overall frequency response.small edit. the soundstage on the d2ks are both wider and deeper.P.S. Just out of curiosity, I played the same songs I heard but this time had my little 13 year old sister listen to them.The thing she immediately said was that "in all the songs, the part that's not bass sounds louder on these" with "these" referring to d2ks.Well, it's been fun. I'll come back and make this a little neater later but I've got work to do for now.post #38 of 3810/8/12 at 8:48pm
- Denon AH-D5000 vs AH-D600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 25 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 1 minute ago
- › F/S: Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies - Black with discontinued black smoked... 5 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 5 minutes ago
- › FS: Fostex TH900 6 minutes ago
- › Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Appreciation Thread! 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 8 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by gelocks
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude