Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yamaha PRO Headphones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha PRO Headphones. - Page 6

post #76 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


Great info, thanks.  I have high hopes for this one.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646735/nad-viso-hp50-another-superb-headphone-from-paul-barton#post_9066175


How is the weight of the Yamaha PRO 500?  Does one need to be a linebacker to support them over time?  How would they work for active use, like walking outdoors (after winter)?  One of multiple reasons I returned the Velodyne V-True was their ridiculous weight, as if no research was done by anyone who actually wore them for more than 5 minutes.

post #77 of 493

Can't believe it, best headphones Ive had, most expensive and the right channel went last night.

 

Fortunately this is day 29 of the 30 day replacement so I'll be getting a new pair.

 

Is this normal to happen every now and again, especially with the way these fold up. The thing is i got my new arrow amp yesterday and wondering if that could 'blow/short' anything?

 

Cheers,

 

Lee

post #78 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


How is the weight of the Yamaha PRO 500?  Does one need to be a linebacker to support them over time?  How would they work for active use, like walking outdoors (after winter)?  One of multiple reasons I returned the Velodyne V-True was their ridiculous weight, as if no research was done by anyone who actually wore them for more than 5 minutes.

 

Best way to describe them would be that they feel more solid than heavy. When you pick them up (after putting down the UE6000, for example) they feel heavy. But once on your head, you don't really notice.

post #79 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboylee View Post

Can't believe it, best headphones Ive had, most expensive and the right channel went last night.

 

Fortunately this is day 29 of the 30 day replacement so I'll be getting a new pair.

 

Is this normal to happen every now and again, especially with the way these fold up. The thing is i got my new arrow amp yesterday and wondering if that could 'blow/short' anything?

 

Cheers,

 

Lee

 

Well, just been told I'm gonna have to wait a week or so for a black replacement but could have blue sent tomorrow and just wondered what colours everyone else went for, am I brave enough to go for the blue instead of the black as I do wear them out and about, Ive not seen the blue in person thats all!


Edited by monkeyboylee - 1/22/13 at 11:25am
post #80 of 493
There's is an unboxing video on the 2nd page of this very thread. I kinda regret getting the blue.
post #81 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboylee View Post

 

Well, just been told I'm gonna have to wait a week or so for a black replacement but could have blue sent tomorrow and just wondered what colours everyone else went for, am I brave enough to go for the blue instead of the black as I do wear them out and about, Ive not seen the blue in person thats all!

 

I went for the black, just like the Yamaha pianos.

post #82 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

I went for the black, just like the Yamaha pianos.

 

Yep me too, I think Ill stick with my original gut instinct and stay black.... suppose itll give me some time to give my new GR07's a run out;)

 

Cheers,

 

Lee

post #83 of 493
Subscribed.
post #84 of 493

@Beagle- I find myself going back and forth between desired headphones.  It would be great to visit Japan and try every headphone made at one time, but that's not going to happen, so I hope you don't mind me continuing to ask questions as they come up.

 

You mentioned the PRO 500 hits with authority.  As it is lower impedance and I would be using portably with Vamp which is 150mW/channel, should I be able to drive them to higher levels compared to most other 32 ohm portables?  Sometimes I come close to maxing out the volume with the M-100.  Also, would you describe their mids as forward along the lines of the MDR-1R or more neutral?
 

post #85 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

@Beagle- I find myself going back and forth between desired headphones.  It would be great to visit Japan and try every headphone made at one time, but that's not going to happen, so I hope you don't mind me continuing to ask questions as they come up.

 

Not a problem. I think that we would have to go to Japan and spend two weeks with every headphone in order to really be aware of what each of them is all about. I have had so many opinions/impressions change after a few days/weeks use of a new headphone.

 

 

Quote:
You mentioned the PRO 500 hits with authority.  As it is lower impedance and I would be using portably with Vamp which is 150mW/channel, should I be able to drive them to higher levels compared to most other 32 ohm portables?  Sometimes I come close to maxing out the volume with the M-100.  Also, would you describe their mids as forward along the lines of the MDR-1R or more neutral?

 

I can't really answer your technical question. All I know is that they are easy to drive on all my amps. I don't use headphones in portable applications, except for radio and iPod when walking to work, wher e I just use on of the very small portable cans. And I only heard the MDR-1R for about a minute on a bad source.

 

At first listening, it seemed like the midbass was big and muscular, and gave a big push and solidity to the whole sound. As I "grew into" the PRO 500, I realized that it was the upper bass/lower midrange that seemed more obvious. I am still not 100% certain whether the 500 enhances this area or that other headphones are weaker in this range. This is where the soul, emotion, harmonic structure and PRAT are really happening. So the 500 seems to bring this out, especially in pop/rock tunes, where you hear the hook like a car radio used to dump into your lap. I'm not comparing the 500 to a car radio sonically, just emotionally.

 

The 500 sounds balanced overall. Nothing (other than what I described above) sticks out and everything is held together in a musically sound structure.

 

But I have been through this madness far too many times. You have to pick a sound for a particular occasion. There are always trade-offs. I assume this is why I own so many headphones. biggrin.gifThe 500's don't sound as open and clear as the K550, but they are not as "hi-fi", bright and overly revealing. And if you pick something "in between", chances are it will sound boring, trying to do two jobs well but ultimately missing the mark at both. The exception to this (for me) is the PSB M4U1. Yet I often have more fun with "lesser" cans. 

 

Madness indeed...


Edited by Beagle - 1/27/13 at 8:15am
post #86 of 493
Just picked up a pair at J&R this morning. They're bigger than I expected, and boy do they thump, possibly harder than my M100's. I'll have to do more extensive listening and burning before I post more impressions.
post #87 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrophonic View Post

Just picked up a pair at J&R this morning. They're bigger than I expected, and boy do they thump, possibly harder than my M100's. I'll have to do more extensive listening and burning before I post more impressions.


This is the comparison I have been anticipating, can't wait!

post #88 of 493
So far, im very impressed with these headphones. Vocals are more forward and transparent than the M100s, and theres more clarity across the upper midrange and treble frequencies. They both have a wide soundstage for closed cans.I would like to read more impressions, but I think we may have a winner.
post #89 of 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrophonic View Post

So far, im very impressed with these headphones. Vocals are more forward and transparent than the M100s, and theres more clarity across the upper midrange and treble frequencies. They both have a wide soundstage for closed cans.I would like to read more impressions, but I think we may have a winner.


Thanks for the impressions.  Keep 'em coming.  Easier to drive than M-100?

post #90 of 493
Yes, very easy to drive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yamaha PRO Headphones.