Wait, make sure to jot down your initial impressions somewhere (even if you don't feel like posting them here). Tracking burn-in changes is always interesting. It'll also help you answer questions that other new owners may have about the ultimate SQ... questions like "will I like these better after burn-in or should I just return them now?"
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Yamaha Debuts PRO Series Premium Headphone Line Last post on 3/16/13 at 5:56pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 2/17/15 at 1:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time of the review, the Audioquest Nighthawk headphone was on sale at TTJV Audio’s website. Here is a link to Todd’s listing of the...
REVIEW FOR THE APOGEE GROOVE ABOUT ME Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in highschool. I don’t consider myself an...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been lucky on my Head-Fi journey to meet and converse with some wonderful people who...
I tried these from a shop, they did look very nice when first spotted. I wanted some nice speakers to use with my laptop, and that could be transported if I was going away for some time. The...
A company whose products give me endless enjoyment, they fulfill every need I personally look for in audio...
Yamaha PRO Headphones. - Page 3post #31 of 50012/23/12 at 10:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 50012/23/12 at 11:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by navii
Unfortunately that cherry has been popped... and Im not the great un-boxer that you are HiFiGuy! :P
Ill see what I can do with the resources I have.
I have the racing blue version.
I havent opened that many headphone boxes in the past. This was a bit ordinary. The headphones feel plasticky, the headband "cushion" is rubbery. When I opened the D600 box, I was thinking "luxury". These are more "lets roll", they are more toy like. The ear cushions and area inside the cushion is a lot smaller than the Denons too.
Yah, to sum up, you feel like the Denons are worth the cash, the PRO500s not so much.
Hi Navii, I guess it depends where you come to these from. I chose them as an upgrade over the Custom One Pro' and I got the exact opposite feel when opening these, they look amazing, and felt so much heavier, definitely not toy like, I can totally see why you would associate the plastic with toys but I do love the look and feel. I do agree about the headband and the rubber though, first impressions were this isn't going to hold its shape long but after a few days the comfort from the headband on the top of my head is excellent. I cant say the same for around my ears tho, they have taken some getting used to, they are so much heavier than the COP, and the weight is all on the ears, and are far more tighter. I only just fit into these in the non-extended position.... I guess I have a small head all of a sudden! The COP is so much more comfortable.
As a newbie I'm scared to say anything about sound and I am prepared to be flamed... Anyway vs the COP, they were definitely right about the bass in the review, it is pronounced but it was so much clearer than the COP, my impressions went from woah to wow in seconds. Soundstage is definitely greater, which i wanted, the sound is so much clearer across all the range, really enjoying the music more..... Ive just discovered Django django!
Obviously I know that I will subconsciously be positive as ive just spent money on these but trying to be fair I would overview by saying vs the COP
Look - far more cool (I have the black), a great design style over the industrial/traditional. Feel - heavier, higher quality, exactly as hoped. Comfort - not comfortable to start with, to say the least. Sound - bass stronger but a lot more clearer/defined, not mumbly, increased soundstage, slightly more precise mids and highs.
Go easy on me, it may not make sense but I think it gives you a at least a sense of what im feeling after 3 days anyway.
Edited by monkeyboylee - 12/23/12 at 11:28pmpost #33 of 50012/23/12 at 11:42pmpost #34 of 50012/24/12 at 3:48am
I noted my initial impressions and have been burning them in.
Yah I think the "toy-ness" has got to do with the colour (blue) when I look at them under different light where they are practically black they seem far more mature.post #35 of 50012/24/12 at 10:19am
You mean a video of me opening the box, putting the headphones on, pressing PLAY and
^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_____________________________________________________!!!post #36 of 50012/24/12 at 3:16pm
Cool, thank you sir!Quote:
Exactly! Or if you want to skip the unboxing part that would be alright as well. It's mainly the ^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_____________________________________________________!!! that I'm interested in.post #37 of 50012/24/12 at 5:03pm
Ill give some initial impressions (mostly comparing them to the D600s).
When I first put them on I thought they were "congested", but I think they opened up a bit since and now I would describe the sound as more "forward" perhaps even a little "bright".
I can hear good articulation of sounds, esp between the mid range and lower treble.
They were also sounding a bit "carboard" like, kinda fake and "hollow". Hard to describe. But I think the sound has filled out a bit.
The bass is tight and controlled, I would not say "boomy" like in the review. Its noticeably less than the D600s, especially the sub bass. When I crank the volume up on the D600s the bass feels like its coming somewhere outside the headphone (as in, no way would a headphone produce such amount of bass). The bass on the Yamahas is more contained within.
Overall I would say they are more "upper mid" centric with good bass supporting it. But I love my sound bassy so some people might call these too bassy. I could not call them bass head cans.
So far my favourite genere with these is GOA / Trance as the electronic sounds "pop" well. As well as female vocals.
Soundstage... not sure, not wowing me or anything yet. But not terrible either.
Overall there has not yet been a "wow" moment yet as I usualy get with new headphones. But I am not counting out that possibility.
These are just my initial impressions based on limited range of music and not much serious comparisons to my D600s.
I am really disliking the size of the earcups. My left ear is really hurting. Feels like my ears are squished in there. Definately not for long listening periods... but I might get used to it.
I think Yamaha are really conscious about making these "portable" and "on the go". So they made them as simple and small as they could be so it does not look like you are wearing something huge on your head... though they still look big. Maybe they are made for youngsters?post #38 of 50012/24/12 at 8:11pmQuote:
Cool. All I need is a boxpost #39 of 50012/24/12 at 9:44pmpost #40 of 50012/25/12 at 12:23ampost #41 of 50012/25/12 at 12:30amAgree with a lot of Navii' s comments, far more articulate than me the soundstage I got was when listening to the ultrasone demo cd tbh, not as much from any music, well not the stuff I've been listening to anyway, the oboe solo I actually thought, immediately, that someone had come into the room playing and checked the door, then I realised it was the music.... Ha ha felt like a real plonker.
Merry Christmas all..... Just waiting for the kids to realise 'he's been'post #42 of 50012/25/12 at 3:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by monkeyboylee
Agree with a lot of Navii' s comments, far more articulate than me the soundstage I got was when listening to the ultrasone demo cd tbh, not as much from any music, well not the stuff I've been listening to anyway, the oboe solo I actually thought, immediately, that someone had come into the room playing and checked the door, then I realised it was the music.... Ha ha felt like a real plonker.
Merry Christmas all..... Just waiting for the kids to realise 'he's been'post #43 of 50012/29/12 at 7:53pm
I put some cotton wool around the inside of the ear pads and the comfort is better.
I must say, the ear pads are pretty bad. All wonky, its not a perfect circle, or any logical shape that I can determine.post #44 of 50012/31/12 at 1:18amQuote:
That's weird, mine are circular, the pads are 2" ID.post #45 of 50012/31/12 at 3:02am
Yeah, the overall shape is circular, but its a bit of a wonky circle as if it was hand drawn instead of a perfect circle done by a machine.
- Yamaha PRO Headphones.
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature... 8 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 44 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Four Choices for Closed Over-Ears Under $300 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Perfect Seal CIEM Demo Tour - TENTATIVE 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › RHA T20 by dweaver
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3