- 261 Posts. Joined 2/2006
- Location: New York
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Yamaha Debuts PRO Series Premium Headphone Line Last post on 3/16/13 at 5:56pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 2/17/15 at 1:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction So a little a bit myself, I am a semi-audiophile. It means that I listen to "normal" song and audiophile song kind of 50:50. During my commute to work I listen to "normal" song such...
Thank You's and Sorries A big thank David Maudlin for sending me the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio to me back in late May and I apologise that it's taken me 3 months to put something up about...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Yamaha PRO Headphones. - Page 17post #241 of 5012/22/13 at 8:54amThe Highs on the M100's are definitely "softer" and more "rolled off" as compared to the Pro 500's, I have both.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 5012/22/13 at 9:00ampost #243 of 5012/22/13 at 10:09amI would say it pretty accurate, but my preference leans towards the Pro 500's slightly brighter signature. The M100's are still my go to headphones because thier size and portability.
Edited by retrophonic - 2/22/13 at 12:01pmpost #244 of 5012/22/13 at 10:52amQuote:
That's a good way to put it I guess... (also, the more prominent mids on the Pro helps also!)post #245 of 5012/22/13 at 11:39amQuote:Quote:
I imagine the PRO 500 shines with classic rock. Is that the case?post #246 of 5012/22/13 at 12:10pmpost #247 of 5012/22/13 at 12:55pmpost #248 of 5012/22/13 at 1:50pmQuote:
Are you looking for lots of bass? I believe that those ATs have similar "boomy" bass as the Yamaha Pros and the Signature Pros at least have not as much impact but tight bass.
The difference though will be in comfort. Audio Technica uses the WORSE "pleather" earpads in existance for their "cheaper" headphones, so you'll probably look to replace them ASAP (happened to me with the A900x and the M50s were crappy too!).post #249 of 5012/22/13 at 1:59pmI listen to mostly EDM, Hip Hop & R&B on the go, so I would like a nice low end when its called for. I would also prefer quality over quantity when it comes to bass. Next time I go down to B&H, I'll give the Sig Pro's a listen.
Edited by retrophonic - 2/22/13 at 2:01pmpost #250 of 5012/22/13 at 2:18pmQuote:
Actually, I believe that most of the closed-back headphones I've tried lately do Ok with those genres. M100, Denon D600, Yamaha Pro 500s, Signature Pros, heck, even my Mad Dogs perform well... but I guess it will be about how much quantity you'd like to have on the low-end and your "mids" preference and portability. You'll have to put everything in order (from isolation, to looks/fashion, to sound preference, etc.) and make your selection.
(of course, trying them before buying is better yet! ;-))
Good luck!post #251 of 5012/22/13 at 2:19pm
They sounded pretty good playing Boston and Journey... so if you call that "classic" rock, then yes! ;-)post #252 of 5012/22/13 at 2:47pmQuote:
I honestly love them for all genres. I listen to mostly rock as well. That's where timbre accuracy really matters to me.post #253 of 5012/22/13 at 5:52pmQuote:
In that case, you really want to audition the Sig DJ.post #254 of 5012/23/13 at 7:58pm
I was able to score a pair of the Pro 500's on last weeks Amazon sale for $301. Just got them today, I'll post some pics of my headphone collection and thoughts when I have more time with them. Initial thoughts; these sound NOTHING like the Studios from Beats that they resemble so much. Matter of fact, in person they don't look that much alike. The similarities are more in how they fold, the mechanism of hinges, etc. but the Yamahas are bigger. They weigh about the same.
i like the way the pro 500's sound and love that they have a portable 4' cable and also 10' to listen at home. Through the iPhone and iPad they sound warm and detailed but theere is a slight veil in the midrange. They do not sound muddy at all. Tomorrow I want to spend sometime listening via the Woo Audio and Benchmark HPA's. I expect the already strong and dynamic sound to be even more so.
The Yamahas are much more neutral than the Beats. The bass is nowhere near as emphasized. But, I actually enjoy listening to the Beats. I own several Beats: Studios, MixRs, and the Executives. The Executives being bay far the best sounding if you can get past the hiss of the noise canceling.
if your looking for a great pair of headphones, I would strongly recommend the Audio Technica M50's. For $126 to $159 bucks I have yet to hear a better headphone. Not as good looking as the Yamahas, but the M50's definitely sound better to me. The sound is strong and accurate without picking the music apart like some "audiophile" headphones do.
so you know a bit about my taste: I use Beyer 880's / 600 when I listen to vinyl on my Woo w2, and go between the Sennhieser 700's and Beyer 990 /600 for digital playback and go between the Benchmark and Woo. I really like the Woo and use it quite a bit more than the Benchmark. And I actually prefer the 990's most of the time. At work, I only use the M50s because I need closed back set. For long plane trips I pack B&W P5's. to jog and short trips I use the B&W C5 in ears.
i use the Beats whenever I want to have some fun with music. Especially the MixRs, they are really punchy and compressed and exciting! Hate them or love them, they all have a sound signature that, to my ears it's equivelant to cranking the brightness and color on a tv monitor so that the reds and greens jump out of the screen.
like the Yamahas a lot, but that's because I collect HPs and go between them often. If I had to pick a pair of cans and use them exclusively, it would have to be the M50's. I just wish their cord was detachable and there was a smaller cable to go portable with them.post #255 of 5012/23/13 at 10:18pm
- Yamaha PRO Headphones.
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Pre-Sale $150 Voucher, Video,... 7 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Galaxy Note 5 Audio Quality 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 4 minutes ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015! 4 minutes ago
- › New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition] 5 minutes ago
- › Continental Dual Mono Tube Rolling Tread !! 6 minutes ago
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio Portable Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier by AnakChan
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2