would the yamahas handle classical orchestra well?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Yamaha Debuts PRO Series Premium Headphone Line Last post on 3/16/13 at 5:56pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time this review was written, the Earsonics S-EM9 was listed for sale on Musicteck’s online store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
I think it is more of a smartphone gadget, than audiophiles device. It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. My subjective review of the sound: A little...
Introduction Simgot is a new name in Asian audio that is getting some attention with their new EN700 model. Supposedly, some that were involved in tuning the Ostry IEMs have tuned this one, so...
Yamaha PRO Headphones. - Page 16post #226 of 5212/17/13 at 9:29pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #227 of 5212/18/13 at 7:13ampost #228 of 5212/20/13 at 8:06am
Got these few days ago (black) and I have to say that looks can be deceiving. Well I like how these headphones look but I can understand if someone sees these as beats :)
But when it comes to sound, these headphones sound really really good. Well worth the money (IMO) and I really think these need more attention. My only gripe would be comfort. They clamp bit too hard and and pads are bit too small to my ears. But it is not a deal breaker to me and I get that discomfort only after 1+ hours.
But now I have to get back listening :)
Edited by Habu - 2/20/13 at 8:10ampost #229 of 5212/20/13 at 8:10ampost #230 of 5212/20/13 at 8:35ampost #231 of 5212/20/13 at 3:52pm
fyi, Amazon is offering some amazing pricing on the 500, only a few leftpost #232 of 5212/20/13 at 7:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by Craigster75
fyi, Amazon is offering some amazing pricing on the 500, only a few left
oh goodness, I've been following these closely these last few days...ahhh, if only i had the money for it. Gosh darn it. I'm trying to build an end game portable rig and these just seem perfect. Has anyone ever seen them this low before? Do I have hope to ever see them again at this price if i miss it?post #233 of 5212/20/13 at 7:47pmpost #234 of 5212/20/13 at 8:14pmpost #235 of 5212/20/13 at 8:28pmpost #236 of 5212/21/13 at 7:43am
Wow... that's a crazy price!!! (effectively ruining my sale! LOL!!!) Hopefully they will go fast enough so at least I can recoup! So if anyone is interested in these, GO TO AMAZON RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!post #237 of 5212/21/13 at 8:15ampost #238 of 5212/22/13 at 3:13ampost #239 of 5212/22/13 at 6:17ampost #240 of 5212/22/13 at 8:45am
I posted a very brief comparison between the Pro 500s and the M-100s in the "Beats sues Yamaha" thread and Craigster asked me to state my impressions here.
To start, I have to say that my time with the Pro 500s was maybe 3-4 minutes and in that time I listened to the first parts of 3 songs that I listen to often.
Genie (Tell Me Your Wish) by Girls' Generation
Lucifer by Shinee
Rolling in the Deep by Adele
I like these three tracks because they each allow me to experience sound stage, stereo separation, bass and mid-range presence within a short time.
In the song, "Genie," the opening has the sounds of women chatting and walking in high heels on the left channel as they approach the listener before activating a car alarm on the right channel. It's my go to song to see how well the sound stage plays out on closed headphones which can sound congested (HD25-1 II, Portapro) or open headphones which sound insanely wide (SR60i, DT 990, HD 650) compared to my strictly V-MODA roster of headphones. I own the M-80 and the M-100, which have both received "better than average for a closed headphone" sound stage praise. The Pro 500s imaging of this sequence has a very similar spatial positioning to M-100s. The cute Korean chatter amidst the clacking of women's heels against the concrete sounds a fair distance off, although not quite on par with the open headphones I mentioned earlier.
"Lucifer" is fast-paced, boy band Kpop at its best with lots of fun bass, crazy stereo vocal flourishes, and a persistent hi-hat cymbal in the chorus positioned in the distant left channel. From what I remember, it sounded great on the Pro 500s and the only discernible differences being the mids are more in-your-face than on the M-100s and the bass is boomier and more impactful. Not boomy. Just boomier. The bass, to my ears, sounds more similar to the M-80s bass rendering than it does the M-100s, but it extends deeper that the M-80s.
As for "Rolling in the Deep," Adele has a great voice and I always felt the mastering of this song puts her too far back from the instrumentation. Do you guys get that as well? Every time I listen to this song, I always feel like I should scoot closer to Adele to fully experience her pain and try to console her, but it's like she's holed up at the end of a tunnel and as I scoot closer, she scoots away. It doesn't matter which headphone I use. She's always just out of reach. This feeling is much more apparent with the M-100s mid-range than it is on the M-80s. I think the Pro 500s fall in between these two, but closer to the M-80 in its forwardness.
Regarding the highs, on both the M-100s and Pro 500s I noticed no sibilance, a slight roll-off at the top, and a lack of really crispy, sparkly highs ala Grado or Sennheiser. The highs sounded very similar though the Pro 500s might have some more presence there as well. I can't say for sure.
A quick summary goes thus:
The Pro 500 sounds like an M-100 with similar mid-range and bass impact of the M-80.
Keep in mind this is only a 3-4 minute assessment of a headphone that I am comparing to 2 headphones which share the same manufacturer and which I have spent significant amounts of time tuning my brain to their sounds. 1 year for the M-80 and 4 months for the M-100 versus 3-4 minutes with the Pro 500. Take some salt with this tequila.
- Yamaha PRO Headphones.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › IBasso Audio IT03 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 JUST RECEIVED! NEW IN BOX WITH EXTRAS AND... 3 minutes ago
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 5 minutes ago
- › Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 7 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 8 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 8 minutes ago
- › Liquid Gold - 2014 9 minutes ago
- › Lotoo's new product: Lotoo Paw Pico, a 27g ultra-portable music... 9 minutes ago
- › Earsonics - S-EM9 in-ear Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...