- 4,064 Posts. Joined 10/2005
- Location: Roanoke, Va
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productFischer Audio fa 011tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productGerman Maestro GMP 400 Ohm Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 9/27/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productKoss KPH7 Lightweight Portable Headphone, Blacktagged by System, 9/27/12
- productKoss UR40 Collapsible Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productPioneer SE-A1000 Lightweight Audiophile AV Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12More
- productSennheiser HD 518tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSony MDR-F1 Full-Open-Air Headphones with Impedance Compensatortagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSony MDR-SA5000 DJ Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSony PFRV1 Personal Field Speaker Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSR850 Professional Studio Reference Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) Last post on Today at 4:36 am in Video Games Discussion
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Help deciding between Sennheiser HD 518 or 380 HD Pro Last post on 3/11/13 at 5:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Pairing of Headphones to Song in your collection Last post on 9/27/12 at 11:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need headphones under $200 primarily for classical symphonic music Last post on 9/27/12 at 6:05am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
When I was a child in the '80s, one of my neighbour's kids, a gloriously goofy-looking guy of the era, was always out on his driveway fixing his motorbikes, then later, his car, a vintage Ford V8....
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can. - Page 2post #16 of 329/24/12 at 12:31pmThread StarterLol the sennheiser surrounder. I wish they still had them.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 329/24/12 at 3:19pmQuote:
Ha! Just get the neck brace hardware mounted on that and you're set!post #18 of 329/24/12 at 4:07pmThread Starter
Sony MDR-MA900 or AT AD900 are my current two favorites. Not sure about the new Sony as it appears to have great potential but a weird housing. I want a huge sound stage.
I have had the AD900 in the past and hated the pads but know how to fix that issue now.
Looks like a good model for me. I have tried the PFR-V1 but that cable is too short and HORRIBLE. I mean, what the heck are you doing with that? Barely even bit enough to conduct electricity lol. I wish it was a wee bit less expensive but I can swing $200.
Edited by spacemanspliff - 9/24/12 at 4:49pmpost #19 of 329/24/12 at 6:13pmThread Starter
Just bought a pair of used 558s for $110. Going to mod them a bit, play with the damping material.
Kind of like what I did with my Samson sr850s which might be the ugliest headphones ever now that I changed from blue to lime green fabric.
I figure if I don't like them, I can get about the same $$ back.
Edited by spacemanspliff - 9/24/12 at 7:07pmpost #20 of 329/24/12 at 9:11pmQuote:
Oh, well there goes that idea...Quote:
No, you don't.Quote:
All he'll need is neck pads... lots and lots of neck pads.Quote:
As long as the mods are reversible it should be fine.post #21 of 329/25/12 at 8:55ampost #22 of 329/25/12 at 5:06pmThe MA900, if the F1 are any indication, will have a very good soundstage. Sony's Auranomic design is exceptional for staging (this is based on all of the other Auranomic models I've heard). swbf2cheater wrote a review of them a while ago if you're interested. Regarding the PFR-V1 - they're designed to use the booster in-line, hence the shorter cable. Cable thickness is really not a big deal for headphones, especially sensitive ones, because you're talking about extremely small values. I wouldn't worry about it (and honestly a lot of headphone cables are pretty small conductors and a lot of insulation).
The Sennheisers you picked are also a good choice - I just wanted to make clear on the previous page that they aren't the only choice. I'd probably agree with ditching 3D Wing - I couldn't get that system to fit my head right.post #23 of 329/25/12 at 5:55pmThread Starter
Just not enough data on the Ma900s yet. I do not like the pfr v1 stock at all bc of the cable and the bass tubes just are a tough sell. I tried the grommet mod and it worked a bit. I still found the sound weird.
So I went with the safe bet. No harm in that. I used to have $$ to burn. Now I can't afford to make mistakes.post #24 of 329/25/12 at 6:02pmpost #25 of 329/25/12 at 6:12pmpost #26 of 329/30/12 at 6:17pmThread Starter
Got the 558s. Did the foam removal. Very good, neutral can. You can listen to them for hours. I think I prefer a more lively sound though. Like Beyer for instance. Any other open headphone that compares to an 880 for under $200?post #27 of 329/30/12 at 8:02pmQuote:
The 518s were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. I didn't like them at all. The bass is very bloated and boomy, and the ear pads will have you sweating within 20 mins. I don't often rip on headphones cause I know there are people who own and like this model, but if you go with the Senns I'd really encourage you to go with a different model.post #28 of 3210/2/12 at 5:14pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Focker
The 518s were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. I didn't like them at all. The bass is very bloated and boomy, and the ear pads will have you sweating within 20 mins. I don't often rip on headphones cause I know there are people who own and like this model, but if you go with the Senns I'd really encourage you to go with a different model.post #29 of 3210/3/12 at 4:31amQuote:
Not to be the guy to say "told ya so" but...
Anyways - Grado SR-225, Sony MDR-SA3000 or 5000 or F1...what else was in my original list'o'suggestions...
Might also step up your budget a bit and just get the 880s if thats what you like (I've seen them, and/or the 990s, for around $200-$250 on Amazon from time to time).
http://camelcamelcamel.com/beyerdynamic-DT-880-Premium-250/product/B000F2BLTMpost #30 of 3212/14/12 at 9:38am
i cant recommend the Beyers as they dont really seem that light. They are pretty tight on the head and are kind of side heavy. so if your leaning your neck at any angle you will start to feel the pressure. Maybe the T50's or DT 1350's will work(if you want Beyerdynamics), as those are probably the lightest Beyers out now. That's just my two cents on the Beyers.
I'm purchasing either the sony MDR-sa5k's or the f1's as i want a really light weight super open designed headphones, i have minor neck problems myself, probably no where near your level, but my reasons behind the Sony's are because i record and edit live recordings and listen to those type of sounds, and want to have the same sensation of extremely airy sound like some have described these headphones to be. Personally the lack of bass isn't relevant as i will be using my Subwoofers along with them when i need deep bass.
- Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Denver summer meet, 2016 - August 27 1 minute ago
- › Whiplash Audio 2 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 3 minutes ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 3 minutes ago
- › Instrument separation 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 5 minutes ago
- › Chord DAVE by Currawong
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...