- 4,064 Posts. Joined 10/2005
- Location: Roanoke, Va
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productFischer Audio fa 011tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productGerman Maestro GMP 400 Ohm Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 9/27/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productKoss KPH7 Lightweight Portable Headphone, Blacktagged by System, 9/27/12
- productKoss UR40 Collapsible Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productPioneer SE-A1000 Lightweight Audiophile AV Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12More
- productSennheiser HD 518tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSony MDR-F1 Full-Open-Air Headphones with Impedance Compensatortagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSony MDR-SA5000 DJ Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSony PFRV1 Personal Field Speaker Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
- productSR850 Professional Studio Reference Headphonestagged by System, 9/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) Last post on Today at 3:53 am in Video Games Discussion
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Help deciding between Sennheiser HD 518 or 380 HD Pro Last post on 3/11/13 at 5:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Pairing of Headphones to Song in your collection Last post on 9/27/12 at 11:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need headphones under $200 primarily for classical symphonic music Last post on 9/27/12 at 6:05am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Build/Accessories: The Earsonics SM3 is a triple balanced armature IEM, with one driver for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the treble region. the shell is clear acryllic on the...
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can. - Page 2post #16 of 329/24/12 at 12:31pmThread StarterLol the sennheiser surrounder. I wish they still had them.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 329/24/12 at 3:19pmQuote:
Ha! Just get the neck brace hardware mounted on that and you're set!post #18 of 329/24/12 at 4:07pmThread Starter
Sony MDR-MA900 or AT AD900 are my current two favorites. Not sure about the new Sony as it appears to have great potential but a weird housing. I want a huge sound stage.
I have had the AD900 in the past and hated the pads but know how to fix that issue now.
Looks like a good model for me. I have tried the PFR-V1 but that cable is too short and HORRIBLE. I mean, what the heck are you doing with that? Barely even bit enough to conduct electricity lol. I wish it was a wee bit less expensive but I can swing $200.
Edited by spacemanspliff - 9/24/12 at 4:49pmpost #19 of 329/24/12 at 6:13pmThread Starter
Just bought a pair of used 558s for $110. Going to mod them a bit, play with the damping material.
Kind of like what I did with my Samson sr850s which might be the ugliest headphones ever now that I changed from blue to lime green fabric.
I figure if I don't like them, I can get about the same $$ back.
Edited by spacemanspliff - 9/24/12 at 7:07pmpost #20 of 329/24/12 at 9:11pmQuote:
Oh, well there goes that idea...Quote:
No, you don't.Quote:
All he'll need is neck pads... lots and lots of neck pads.Quote:
As long as the mods are reversible it should be fine.post #21 of 329/25/12 at 8:55ampost #22 of 329/25/12 at 5:06pmThe MA900, if the F1 are any indication, will have a very good soundstage. Sony's Auranomic design is exceptional for staging (this is based on all of the other Auranomic models I've heard). swbf2cheater wrote a review of them a while ago if you're interested. Regarding the PFR-V1 - they're designed to use the booster in-line, hence the shorter cable. Cable thickness is really not a big deal for headphones, especially sensitive ones, because you're talking about extremely small values. I wouldn't worry about it (and honestly a lot of headphone cables are pretty small conductors and a lot of insulation).
The Sennheisers you picked are also a good choice - I just wanted to make clear on the previous page that they aren't the only choice. I'd probably agree with ditching 3D Wing - I couldn't get that system to fit my head right.post #23 of 329/25/12 at 5:55pmThread Starter
Just not enough data on the Ma900s yet. I do not like the pfr v1 stock at all bc of the cable and the bass tubes just are a tough sell. I tried the grommet mod and it worked a bit. I still found the sound weird.
So I went with the safe bet. No harm in that. I used to have $$ to burn. Now I can't afford to make mistakes.post #24 of 329/25/12 at 6:02pmpost #25 of 329/25/12 at 6:12pmpost #26 of 329/30/12 at 6:17pmThread Starter
Got the 558s. Did the foam removal. Very good, neutral can. You can listen to them for hours. I think I prefer a more lively sound though. Like Beyer for instance. Any other open headphone that compares to an 880 for under $200?post #27 of 329/30/12 at 8:02pmQuote:
The 518s were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. I didn't like them at all. The bass is very bloated and boomy, and the ear pads will have you sweating within 20 mins. I don't often rip on headphones cause I know there are people who own and like this model, but if you go with the Senns I'd really encourage you to go with a different model.post #28 of 3210/2/12 at 5:14pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Focker
The 518s were some of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn. I didn't like them at all. The bass is very bloated and boomy, and the ear pads will have you sweating within 20 mins. I don't often rip on headphones cause I know there are people who own and like this model, but if you go with the Senns I'd really encourage you to go with a different model.post #29 of 3210/3/12 at 4:31amQuote:
Not to be the guy to say "told ya so" but...
Anyways - Grado SR-225, Sony MDR-SA3000 or 5000 or F1...what else was in my original list'o'suggestions...
Might also step up your budget a bit and just get the 880s if thats what you like (I've seen them, and/or the 990s, for around $200-$250 on Amazon from time to time).
http://camelcamelcamel.com/beyerdynamic-DT-880-Premium-250/product/B000F2BLTMpost #30 of 3212/14/12 at 9:38am
i cant recommend the Beyers as they dont really seem that light. They are pretty tight on the head and are kind of side heavy. so if your leaning your neck at any angle you will start to feel the pressure. Maybe the T50's or DT 1350's will work(if you want Beyerdynamics), as those are probably the lightest Beyers out now. That's just my two cents on the Beyers.
I'm purchasing either the sony MDR-sa5k's or the f1's as i want a really light weight super open designed headphones, i have minor neck problems myself, probably no where near your level, but my reasons behind the Sony's are because i record and edit live recordings and listen to those type of sounds, and want to have the same sensation of extremely airy sound like some have described these headphones to be. Personally the lack of bass isn't relevant as i will be using my Subwoofers along with them when i need deep bass.
- Have a neck issue. Need a light weight open can.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › How Many Times Have Your LCD3 Headphones Been Returned to Audeze... 45 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From... 7 minutes ago
- › Best Headphones for Movies? 8 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 8 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 8 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear