I won't upgrade my ipod touch 4th gen to anything lightening until there is at the very least a compact one piece LOD available, but I am really holding out for a lightening to usb host adapter to drive my portable dac/amp directly.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- bose vs monster cable vs apple Last post on 1/23/12 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- IPad Air 16GB First Generation Last post on 2/16/15 at 12:35pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Can i use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for a pair of ath m40xs Last post on 11/15/14 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple ME186FE/A In-Ear “Headphones” Review Last post on 11/20/14 at 4:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
"Low cost champion", "Best in it's own way"... i love the way how things work in this earphone business :) however, please do not worry, vaziyetu here to correct things (again). first of all,...
Sometimes you want to hear the pluck of a guitar string. Sometimes that detail can be sacrificed in the name of bass.....enormous bass Honestly these are pretty damned good with rock too. Not...
Firstly, like to thank Mike from Meelectronics for supplying the M9 Classic to review. The new release of the M9 Classic is Meelectronics budget in ear headphone. Priced at $9.99USD, I was...
So, these are quite good, actually. But I am not as impressed as I should be after paying 500 Euro. There are some very nice things here, but also some very bad ones, and some silly...
Well, I am really happy that these headphones exist, although I am angry with the designers for ruining something almost perfect with a stupid detail like too thin earpads. But, let's start...
- Hi End Cables
All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens! - Page 6
Poll Results: Is there any hope for this plug?
50% (30)Screw this plug.
49% (29)I've got high hopes for it, it isn't that bad.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Are you sure it will allow digital out to any dac? Looking at their catalog (http://www.adl-av.com/pdf/adl_catalog.pdf), this just appears to be an Apple approved regular lightning cable; meaning I still wouldn't be able to send digital out to my Leckerton UHA-6 b/c that dac is not a mfi device.
Edited by shotgunshane - 2/25/13 at 4:50am
That is indeed just the ADL version of the standard Lightning cable. I have the 30-pin version. If you have one of the Apple approved DACs with a USB-A socket then all the recent iDevices can be used as digital transports.
Might be kinda off topic but i just chopped my stock cable like attached and it works fine.
Due to the authentication chip,i assume it will be difficult to make a lod cable,and would be easier to just get the 30pin converter.
Edited by thirotsugu - 3/15/13 at 12:30am
Does anyone have a picture of how the four wires from the cable connection attach to the Lightning Connector? I have a connector where the wires pulled loose and would like to try re-soldering them but need to know what order to connect the wires to the connections is.
Unfortunately there is no way to currently make a Lightning LOD without modifying a lightning plug, and in this case, you end up with the same sized connector as the 30pin LOD.
Here is one i made for personal use, although i don't make them for sale.
I've seen up on Taobao some DIY Lightning plugs that claim to be an audio line out specific plug. They're on their way, we'll see if they really are what they say they are. I'd be amazed if they were, but they insist.
The unfortunate thing about any line out with the iPhone5 is that it's not going to be a superstar DAC/output stage that's producing the signal. The best way to do it is with an external DAC like the CLAS anyway.
Anywhere else I can find this? Just bought the Cayin c6, probably one of the cheapest iDevice compatible dacs. So I'd like to have a connector similar to the L9, but for lightning, obviously.
Edited by Hapster - 5/22/14 at 10:31pm
Thanks. This very useful for a product I am involved in. As for the power (V+) I would see if it is connected to the one or more of the devices on the PCB. The lightning connector is essentially two USB interfaces. the devices on board could be a power switch to and a USB switch to prevent confusion inside the apple device that is driving them, as well as telling the apple device which USB port to drive. there are extra pins on each 'side' of the Lightning connector that Apple uses as an ID of sort. I am thinking of purchasing a cable to dis-assemble and reverser engineer myself (my background is electronics hardware design/engineering). I will let you know what I find.
I don't know if this helps or not but on a whim I connected my iPhone 5 to an Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter, giving it a USB female port. I plugged one of the inexpensive USB 7.1 Sound Card dongles into that and was pleased to see it actually worked, giving a boost to both volume and audio quality (at least as heard through my Sennheiser PX200). Better than the amplification I got through my Fiio Rocky E02i or my Fiio E11. Sucked battery very quickly (about 10% in a half an hour), but appears to be a Lightning Cable DAC solution for under $25, depending on where you shop. Here's some eBay links to the same hardware I used:
- All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 30 seconds ago
- › How do you like Beats now? 1 minute ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › HE-400i 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO 2 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Unified X1,3,5,7 Theming thread (Video/image library) 4 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2