I won't upgrade my ipod touch 4th gen to anything lightening until there is at the very least a compact one piece LOD available, but I am really holding out for a lightening to usb host adapter to drive my portable dac/amp directly.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- bose vs monster cable vs apple Last post on 1/23/12 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Cabledyne reference copper xlr, 2-meter Last post on 5/21/15 at 7:42am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- IPad Air 16GB First Generation Last post on 3/11/15 at 12:28am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Can i use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for a pair of ath m40xs Last post on 11/15/14 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 8/24/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction: Aune Audio has been making affordable audiophile products for quite a while now – They have a number of desktop DACs and amplifiers, and recently made an entry into the...
The ATH-CK9LTD’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. I’ve reviewed the ATH-CKR9 and ATH-CKR10 earlier, those reviews are available...
Intro: JDS Labs, Is an American company based in Collinsville, Illinois. They make headphone amplifiers & DAC’s. Mr. John Seaber is the man behind JDS Labs. We might remember JDS Labs when they...
- Hi End Cables
All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens! - Page 6
Poll Results: Is there any hope for this plug?
50% (30)Screw this plug.
49% (29)I've got high hopes for it, it isn't that bad.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Are you sure it will allow digital out to any dac? Looking at their catalog (http://www.adl-av.com/pdf/adl_catalog.pdf), this just appears to be an Apple approved regular lightning cable; meaning I still wouldn't be able to send digital out to my Leckerton UHA-6 b/c that dac is not a mfi device.
Edited by shotgunshane - 2/25/13 at 4:50am
That is indeed just the ADL version of the standard Lightning cable. I have the 30-pin version. If you have one of the Apple approved DACs with a USB-A socket then all the recent iDevices can be used as digital transports.
Might be kinda off topic but i just chopped my stock cable like attached and it works fine.
Due to the authentication chip,i assume it will be difficult to make a lod cable,and would be easier to just get the 30pin converter.
Edited by thirotsugu - 3/15/13 at 12:30am
Does anyone have a picture of how the four wires from the cable connection attach to the Lightning Connector? I have a connector where the wires pulled loose and would like to try re-soldering them but need to know what order to connect the wires to the connections is.
Unfortunately there is no way to currently make a Lightning LOD without modifying a lightning plug, and in this case, you end up with the same sized connector as the 30pin LOD.
Here is one i made for personal use, although i don't make them for sale.
I've seen up on Taobao some DIY Lightning plugs that claim to be an audio line out specific plug. They're on their way, we'll see if they really are what they say they are. I'd be amazed if they were, but they insist.
The unfortunate thing about any line out with the iPhone5 is that it's not going to be a superstar DAC/output stage that's producing the signal. The best way to do it is with an external DAC like the CLAS anyway.
Anywhere else I can find this? Just bought the Cayin c6, probably one of the cheapest iDevice compatible dacs. So I'd like to have a connector similar to the L9, but for lightning, obviously.
Edited by Hapster - 5/22/14 at 10:31pm
Thanks. This very useful for a product I am involved in. As for the power (V+) I would see if it is connected to the one or more of the devices on the PCB. The lightning connector is essentially two USB interfaces. the devices on board could be a power switch to and a USB switch to prevent confusion inside the apple device that is driving them, as well as telling the apple device which USB port to drive. there are extra pins on each 'side' of the Lightning connector that Apple uses as an ID of sort. I am thinking of purchasing a cable to dis-assemble and reverser engineer myself (my background is electronics hardware design/engineering). I will let you know what I find.
I don't know if this helps or not but on a whim I connected my iPhone 5 to an Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter, giving it a USB female port. I plugged one of the inexpensive USB 7.1 Sound Card dongles into that and was pleased to see it actually worked, giving a boost to both volume and audio quality (at least as heard through my Sennheiser PX200). Better than the amplification I got through my Fiio Rocky E02i or my Fiio E11. Sucked battery very quickly (about 10% in a half an hour), but appears to be a Lightning Cable DAC solution for under $25, depending on where you shop. Here's some eBay links to the same hardware I used:
- All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Minty Blue Headamp Pico Slim 8 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 43 seconds ago
- › iFi Launch competition – guess the upcoming new product! 54 seconds ago
- › Aune M2 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 4 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 7 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 10 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 10 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2