I won't upgrade my ipod touch 4th gen to anything lightening until there is at the very least a compact one piece LOD available, but I am really holding out for a lightening to usb host adapter to drive my portable dac/amp directly.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- bose vs monster cable vs apple Last post on 1/23/12 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How on earth do I stop breaking my cables?? (Which IEM cable has the BEST build quality?) Last post on 9/17/14 at 11:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality Last post on Today at 9:43 am in Portable Source Gear
- What's the best USB audio cable for the money? Last post on 5/27/14 at 8:42pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Audio Newbie Cable issues Last post on 1/1/13 at 4:46pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
- Hi End Cables
All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens! - Page 6
Poll Results: Is there any hope for this plug?
51% (30)Screw this plug.
48% (28)I've got high hopes for it, it isn't that bad.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Are you sure it will allow digital out to any dac? Looking at their catalog (http://www.adl-av.com/pdf/adl_catalog.pdf), this just appears to be an Apple approved regular lightning cable; meaning I still wouldn't be able to send digital out to my Leckerton UHA-6 b/c that dac is not a mfi device.
Edited by shotgunshane - 2/25/13 at 4:50am
That is indeed just the ADL version of the standard Lightning cable. I have the 30-pin version. If you have one of the Apple approved DACs with a USB-A socket then all the recent iDevices can be used as digital transports.
Might be kinda off topic but i just chopped my stock cable like attached and it works fine.
Due to the authentication chip,i assume it will be difficult to make a lod cable,and would be easier to just get the 30pin converter.
Edited by thirotsugu - 3/15/13 at 12:30am
Does anyone have a picture of how the four wires from the cable connection attach to the Lightning Connector? I have a connector where the wires pulled loose and would like to try re-soldering them but need to know what order to connect the wires to the connections is.
Unfortunately there is no way to currently make a Lightning LOD without modifying a lightning plug, and in this case, you end up with the same sized connector as the 30pin LOD.
Here is one i made for personal use, although i don't make them for sale.
I've seen up on Taobao some DIY Lightning plugs that claim to be an audio line out specific plug. They're on their way, we'll see if they really are what they say they are. I'd be amazed if they were, but they insist.
The unfortunate thing about any line out with the iPhone5 is that it's not going to be a superstar DAC/output stage that's producing the signal. The best way to do it is with an external DAC like the CLAS anyway.
Anywhere else I can find this? Just bought the Cayin c6, probably one of the cheapest iDevice compatible dacs. So I'd like to have a connector similar to the L9, but for lightning, obviously.
Edited by Hapster - 5/22/14 at 10:31pm
Thanks. This very useful for a product I am involved in. As for the power (V+) I would see if it is connected to the one or more of the devices on the PCB. The lightning connector is essentially two USB interfaces. the devices on board could be a power switch to and a USB switch to prevent confusion inside the apple device that is driving them, as well as telling the apple device which USB port to drive. there are extra pins on each 'side' of the Lightning connector that Apple uses as an ID of sort. I am thinking of purchasing a cable to dis-assemble and reverser engineer myself (my background is electronics hardware design/engineering). I will let you know what I find.
I don't know if this helps or not but on a whim I connected my iPhone 5 to an Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter, giving it a USB female port. I plugged one of the inexpensive USB 7.1 Sound Card dongles into that and was pleased to see it actually worked, giving a boost to both volume and audio quality (at least as heard through my Sennheiser PX200). Better than the amplification I got through my Fiio Rocky E02i or my Fiio E11. Sucked battery very quickly (about 10% in a half an hour), but appears to be a Lightning Cable DAC solution for under $25, depending on where you shop. Here's some eBay links to the same hardware I used:
- All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › Bluedio R+ Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones with NFC and APT-X 3 minutes ago
- › San Jose, CA - Super Mini Meet? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD600 with xbox 360? 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Maestro 5 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 6 minutes ago
- › Melbourne Head-Fi meet in second half of 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)