I won't upgrade my ipod touch 4th gen to anything lightening until there is at the very least a compact one piece LOD available, but I am really holding out for a lightening to usb host adapter to drive my portable dac/amp directly.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- bose vs monster cable vs apple Last post on 1/23/12 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Can i use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for a pair of ath m40xs Last post on 11/15/14 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple ME186FE/A In-Ear “Headphones” Review Last post on 11/20/14 at 4:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How on earth do I stop breaking my cables?? (Which IEM cable has the BEST build quality?) Last post on 9/17/14 at 11:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality Last post on Today at 4:09 am in Portable Source Gear
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
- Hi End Cables
All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens! - Page 6
Poll Results: Is there any hope for this plug?
50% (30)Screw this plug.
49% (29)I've got high hopes for it, it isn't that bad.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Are you sure it will allow digital out to any dac? Looking at their catalog (http://www.adl-av.com/pdf/adl_catalog.pdf), this just appears to be an Apple approved regular lightning cable; meaning I still wouldn't be able to send digital out to my Leckerton UHA-6 b/c that dac is not a mfi device.
Edited by shotgunshane - 2/25/13 at 4:50am
That is indeed just the ADL version of the standard Lightning cable. I have the 30-pin version. If you have one of the Apple approved DACs with a USB-A socket then all the recent iDevices can be used as digital transports.
Might be kinda off topic but i just chopped my stock cable like attached and it works fine.
Due to the authentication chip,i assume it will be difficult to make a lod cable,and would be easier to just get the 30pin converter.
Edited by thirotsugu - 3/15/13 at 12:30am
Does anyone have a picture of how the four wires from the cable connection attach to the Lightning Connector? I have a connector where the wires pulled loose and would like to try re-soldering them but need to know what order to connect the wires to the connections is.
Unfortunately there is no way to currently make a Lightning LOD without modifying a lightning plug, and in this case, you end up with the same sized connector as the 30pin LOD.
Here is one i made for personal use, although i don't make them for sale.
I've seen up on Taobao some DIY Lightning plugs that claim to be an audio line out specific plug. They're on their way, we'll see if they really are what they say they are. I'd be amazed if they were, but they insist.
The unfortunate thing about any line out with the iPhone5 is that it's not going to be a superstar DAC/output stage that's producing the signal. The best way to do it is with an external DAC like the CLAS anyway.
Anywhere else I can find this? Just bought the Cayin c6, probably one of the cheapest iDevice compatible dacs. So I'd like to have a connector similar to the L9, but for lightning, obviously.
Edited by Hapster - 5/22/14 at 10:31pm
Thanks. This very useful for a product I am involved in. As for the power (V+) I would see if it is connected to the one or more of the devices on the PCB. The lightning connector is essentially two USB interfaces. the devices on board could be a power switch to and a USB switch to prevent confusion inside the apple device that is driving them, as well as telling the apple device which USB port to drive. there are extra pins on each 'side' of the Lightning connector that Apple uses as an ID of sort. I am thinking of purchasing a cable to dis-assemble and reverser engineer myself (my background is electronics hardware design/engineering). I will let you know what I find.
I don't know if this helps or not but on a whim I connected my iPhone 5 to an Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter, giving it a USB female port. I plugged one of the inexpensive USB 7.1 Sound Card dongles into that and was pleased to see it actually worked, giving a boost to both volume and audio quality (at least as heard through my Sennheiser PX200). Better than the amplification I got through my Fiio Rocky E02i or my Fiio E11. Sucked battery very quickly (about 10% in a half an hour), but appears to be a Lightning Cable DAC solution for under $25, depending on where you shop. Here's some eBay links to the same hardware I used:
- All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 1 minute ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival 1 minute ago
- › Want to buy chord hugo 3 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › THE BHSE DEPRESSED AWAITING DELIVERY THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 4 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro or DT770 Pro? 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla 2 for HD650, and HD598 for laptop? 7 minutes ago
- › High resolution music vs mp3. 7 minutes ago
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3