Wow thanks scootermafia! I know a lot of other tech sites have been wondering what the heck is inside these cables.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- bose vs monster cable vs apple Last post on 1/23/12 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Cabledyne reference copper xlr, 2-meter Last post on 5/21/15 at 7:42am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- IPad Air 16GB First Generation Last post on 3/11/15 at 12:28am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Can i use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for a pair of ath m40xs Last post on 11/15/14 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 5/24/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
DUNU TITAN 1 - QUICK REVIEW photos taken from the internet Specifications Driver: 13mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Driver Impedance:16Ω Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency:...
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
My review is based on the loaner pair that Oppo sent to me as part of their PM3 loaner program. My gratitude to Oppo for giving me this opportunity to demo their product. Oppo is known for...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My introduction to DUNU Topsound (18 months ago) was with their triple hybrid DN-1000,...
- Hi End Cables
All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens! - Page 3
Poll Results: Is there any hope for this plug?
50% (30)Screw this plug.
49% (29)I've got high hopes for it, it isn't that bad.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
UPDATE - I'm now thinking the info here is correct
Which basically states that Apple is using a special active diff line
driver circuit, powered by the attached USB Type A Host device (typically a PC or Mac
USB 2.0 port)
The devices which need an Authentification IC chip are those third party hardware devices which provide a direct Lighting connection and must go through the Apple mFI developer approval process.
But it would appear for most users needs, Apple is making a suitable adapter.
More info here:
Edited by Elantric - 9/27/12 at 10:56am
Gee that's real nice but would it be possible to give both those connectors a right angle so the cable itself isn't jutting out waiting to hook onto something? You know, maybe something more along the lines of the Fiio L9.
That is the kind of thing I would be after.
Kind of like the cable for my Fostex hp_p1.
Well, whether or not it is an authentication chip in the cable, it certainly will not work with just any dac. I bought a usb to micro adapter to try with a non Apple authenticated dac and no dice. So I'm guessing the lightning to 30 pin adapter will have usb audio locked too.
Boy, that was a hail mary play right there.
What I've learned recently is that the Chinese are having great difficulty producing these plugs illicitly (Apple hasn't authorized anyone to make them yet, and is holding a powwow in November to get factories on board with their MFi program) and some have given up for now. Leading some amazon and eBay third-partiers to refund their customers orders. Some suppliers are putting up pictures of the inside of Thunderbolt cables (LOL) or have a pile of Apple cables photographed to make it look like they have stock, but realistically it'll be December/January before we start seeing third party Lightning accessories - unless one factory makes a huge breakthrough and is also willing to get harassed by Apple, since this is not a "dumb" dock connector anymore and you need Apple's licensing to produce it.
The 30 pin adapter is going to have pins 3,4, and 11 tied to 15 being R, L, G just like any other LOD that you can buy right now. So you'll be able to make your own "LOD" by routing a cable into this adapter and soldering it to the right places.
Edited by scootermafia - 10/6/12 at 10:29am
Not too sure if this is the right thread to post but today we attempted a to hook up an iPhone 5 to a standard USB DAC/Amp (TTVJ's new Apex Glacier actually). The connector used was the Apple Lighting MicroUSB adapter (the EU version), and VentureCraft's MIcroUSB<->MicroUSB cable. The VentureCraft cable works fine for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android so presumably a straight pass-through cable.
However in attempting the iPhone 5 setup with the Lighting MicroUSB adapter, it didn't work. The iPhone 5 didn't recognise the Apex Glacier at all (nothing appeared in the Settings->General->About) but at the same time playing music didn't come out from the iPhone speakers so I guess it was attempting to redirect audio out somewhere else.
Anyway here's a pic of the cable setup we were trying :-
Why does yours work and my attempted concoction didn't :p?? Admittedly was trying with a standard USB DAC/Amp (Glacier) instead of something like the CLAS -db (iDevice & USB DAC). Will be checking your cable prices soon after ;-).
- All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Liverpool Football Club 5 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 13 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 1 minute ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 2 minutes ago
- › Raleigh/Durham/Cary, NC, Saturday March 21, 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 4 minutes ago
- › A Weird Thread...! 5 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 6 minutes ago
- › It is odd but not peculiar... 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2