Wow thanks scootermafia! I know a lot of other tech sites have been wondering what the heck is inside these cables.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- bose vs monster cable vs apple Last post on 1/23/12 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Can i use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for a pair of ath m40xs Last post on 11/15/14 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple ME186FE/A In-Ear “Headphones” Review Last post on 11/20/14 at 4:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- How on earth do I stop breaking my cables?? (Which IEM cable has the BEST build quality?) Last post on 9/17/14 at 11:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality Last post on Today at 9:04 am in Portable Source Gear
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
- Hi End Cables
All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens! - Page 3
Poll Results: Is there any hope for this plug?
50% (30)Screw this plug.
49% (29)I've got high hopes for it, it isn't that bad.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
UPDATE - I'm now thinking the info here is correct
Which basically states that Apple is using a special active diff line
driver circuit, powered by the attached USB Type A Host device (typically a PC or Mac
USB 2.0 port)
The devices which need an Authentification IC chip are those third party hardware devices which provide a direct Lighting connection and must go through the Apple mFI developer approval process.
But it would appear for most users needs, Apple is making a suitable adapter.
More info here:
Edited by Elantric - 9/27/12 at 10:56am
Gee that's real nice but would it be possible to give both those connectors a right angle so the cable itself isn't jutting out waiting to hook onto something? You know, maybe something more along the lines of the Fiio L9.
That is the kind of thing I would be after.
Kind of like the cable for my Fostex hp_p1.
Well, whether or not it is an authentication chip in the cable, it certainly will not work with just any dac. I bought a usb to micro adapter to try with a non Apple authenticated dac and no dice. So I'm guessing the lightning to 30 pin adapter will have usb audio locked too.
Boy, that was a hail mary play right there.
What I've learned recently is that the Chinese are having great difficulty producing these plugs illicitly (Apple hasn't authorized anyone to make them yet, and is holding a powwow in November to get factories on board with their MFi program) and some have given up for now. Leading some amazon and eBay third-partiers to refund their customers orders. Some suppliers are putting up pictures of the inside of Thunderbolt cables (LOL) or have a pile of Apple cables photographed to make it look like they have stock, but realistically it'll be December/January before we start seeing third party Lightning accessories - unless one factory makes a huge breakthrough and is also willing to get harassed by Apple, since this is not a "dumb" dock connector anymore and you need Apple's licensing to produce it.
The 30 pin adapter is going to have pins 3,4, and 11 tied to 15 being R, L, G just like any other LOD that you can buy right now. So you'll be able to make your own "LOD" by routing a cable into this adapter and soldering it to the right places.
Edited by scootermafia - 10/6/12 at 10:29am
Not too sure if this is the right thread to post but today we attempted a to hook up an iPhone 5 to a standard USB DAC/Amp (TTVJ's new Apex Glacier actually). The connector used was the Apple Lighting MicroUSB adapter (the EU version), and VentureCraft's MIcroUSB<->MicroUSB cable. The VentureCraft cable works fine for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android so presumably a straight pass-through cable.
However in attempting the iPhone 5 setup with the Lighting MicroUSB adapter, it didn't work. The iPhone 5 didn't recognise the Apex Glacier at all (nothing appeared in the Settings->General->About) but at the same time playing music didn't come out from the iPhone speakers so I guess it was attempting to redirect audio out somewhere else.
Anyway here's a pic of the cable setup we were trying :-
Why does yours work and my attempted concoction didn't :p?? Admittedly was trying with a standard USB DAC/Amp (Glacier) instead of something like the CLAS -db (iDevice & USB DAC). Will be checking your cable prices soon after ;-).
- All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 43 seconds ago
- › Heads up! Dick Smith "Premium headphones VT H68" aluminum and... 1 minute ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Having trouble narrowing down options for a good PC headphone setup 2 minutes ago
- › Smaller, portable over ear phones? 2 minutes ago
- › Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs) 2 minutes ago
- › 2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) 4 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)