Wow thanks scootermafia! I know a lot of other tech sites have been wondering what the heck is inside these cables.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- bose vs monster cable vs apple Last post on 1/23/12 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- IPad Air 16GB First Generation Last post on 2/16/15 at 12:35pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Can i use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for a pair of ath m40xs Last post on 11/15/14 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple ME186FE/A In-Ear “Headphones” Review Last post on 11/20/14 at 4:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Master & Dynamic for providing me with a review sample of ME03 in exchange for my honest opinion. Also, I have to apologize for some of the...
Hey the bang for your buck ratio is great for these. I got them years ago for $500. I've been using them to replace the little tin box in my TV for years. The satellite surrounds are ignored/not...
So this is my first day impression of the Emotiva Stealth 8 speakers and I will be updating every week untilll I have come to the conclusion that I've finally made it through the burn-in process....
Intro Well, after almost two years on Head-fi, I feel it is time to put my words out there and write my first review. In doing so, I feel it is only right that it be about the newly released...
OK This is my first headphone review so please be easy. I am not much on technical terms and such. I know what I like but is difficult to come to words at times. A little about me: Love most...
- Hi End Cables
All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens! - Page 3
Poll Results: Is there any hope for this plug?
50% (30)Screw this plug.
49% (29)I've got high hopes for it, it isn't that bad.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
UPDATE - I'm now thinking the info here is correct
Which basically states that Apple is using a special active diff line
driver circuit, powered by the attached USB Type A Host device (typically a PC or Mac
USB 2.0 port)
The devices which need an Authentification IC chip are those third party hardware devices which provide a direct Lighting connection and must go through the Apple mFI developer approval process.
But it would appear for most users needs, Apple is making a suitable adapter.
More info here:
Edited by Elantric - 9/27/12 at 10:56am
Gee that's real nice but would it be possible to give both those connectors a right angle so the cable itself isn't jutting out waiting to hook onto something? You know, maybe something more along the lines of the Fiio L9.
That is the kind of thing I would be after.
Kind of like the cable for my Fostex hp_p1.
Well, whether or not it is an authentication chip in the cable, it certainly will not work with just any dac. I bought a usb to micro adapter to try with a non Apple authenticated dac and no dice. So I'm guessing the lightning to 30 pin adapter will have usb audio locked too.
Boy, that was a hail mary play right there.
What I've learned recently is that the Chinese are having great difficulty producing these plugs illicitly (Apple hasn't authorized anyone to make them yet, and is holding a powwow in November to get factories on board with their MFi program) and some have given up for now. Leading some amazon and eBay third-partiers to refund their customers orders. Some suppliers are putting up pictures of the inside of Thunderbolt cables (LOL) or have a pile of Apple cables photographed to make it look like they have stock, but realistically it'll be December/January before we start seeing third party Lightning accessories - unless one factory makes a huge breakthrough and is also willing to get harassed by Apple, since this is not a "dumb" dock connector anymore and you need Apple's licensing to produce it.
The 30 pin adapter is going to have pins 3,4, and 11 tied to 15 being R, L, G just like any other LOD that you can buy right now. So you'll be able to make your own "LOD" by routing a cable into this adapter and soldering it to the right places.
Edited by scootermafia - 10/6/12 at 10:29am
Not too sure if this is the right thread to post but today we attempted a to hook up an iPhone 5 to a standard USB DAC/Amp (TTVJ's new Apex Glacier actually). The connector used was the Apple Lighting MicroUSB adapter (the EU version), and VentureCraft's MIcroUSB<->MicroUSB cable. The VentureCraft cable works fine for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android so presumably a straight pass-through cable.
However in attempting the iPhone 5 setup with the Lighting MicroUSB adapter, it didn't work. The iPhone 5 didn't recognise the Apex Glacier at all (nothing appeared in the Settings->General->About) but at the same time playing music didn't come out from the iPhone speakers so I guess it was attempting to redirect audio out somewhere else.
Anyway here's a pic of the cable setup we were trying :-
Why does yours work and my attempted concoction didn't :p?? Admittedly was trying with a standard USB DAC/Amp (Glacier) instead of something like the CLAS -db (iDevice & USB DAC). Will be checking your cable prices soon after ;-).
- All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Band Name Game II 30 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 43 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 51 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › What does science think I should buy in the head fi market? 3 minutes ago
- › Best DACs to use with Linux? 4 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 6 minutes ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet Summer 2015 6 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › AKG K7XX by Change is Good
- › Symphonized Wraith Premium Genuine Wood Headphones by cmdrmcgarrett
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by Dogmatrix
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3