Wow thanks scootermafia! I know a lot of other tech sites have been wondering what the heck is inside these cables.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- bose vs monster cable vs apple Last post on 1/23/12 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High-end iPhone/office setup Last post on 2/3/15 at 7:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- IPad Air 16GB First Generation Last post on 3/11/15 at 12:28am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Can i use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for a pair of ath m40xs Last post on 11/15/14 at 9:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple ME186FE/A In-Ear “Headphones” Review Last post on 11/20/14 at 4:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ears Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/760881/sennheiser-momentum-1-0-on-ears-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Sennheiser’s style range On...
I bought the headphones on 26 / january / 2015 this first thing that made me happy was the excellent comfort of the headphones and the ability to stay on my head even if was leaning my head these...
XBA-A2 The title says "Japanese import" and I had to an add and search just to do a review. I went on a mission...
I have a lot of closed headphones. These are as good as any other closed headphone at this price, in fact, I prefer these to the DT770, K550, UE6000. The DJ1 Pro have a bigger and airier sound...
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
- Hi End Cables
All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens! - Page 3
Poll Results: Is there any hope for this plug?
50% (30)Screw this plug.
49% (29)I've got high hopes for it, it isn't that bad.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
UPDATE - I'm now thinking the info here is correct
Which basically states that Apple is using a special active diff line
driver circuit, powered by the attached USB Type A Host device (typically a PC or Mac
USB 2.0 port)
The devices which need an Authentification IC chip are those third party hardware devices which provide a direct Lighting connection and must go through the Apple mFI developer approval process.
But it would appear for most users needs, Apple is making a suitable adapter.
More info here:
Edited by Elantric - 9/27/12 at 10:56am
Gee that's real nice but would it be possible to give both those connectors a right angle so the cable itself isn't jutting out waiting to hook onto something? You know, maybe something more along the lines of the Fiio L9.
That is the kind of thing I would be after.
Kind of like the cable for my Fostex hp_p1.
Well, whether or not it is an authentication chip in the cable, it certainly will not work with just any dac. I bought a usb to micro adapter to try with a non Apple authenticated dac and no dice. So I'm guessing the lightning to 30 pin adapter will have usb audio locked too.
Boy, that was a hail mary play right there.
What I've learned recently is that the Chinese are having great difficulty producing these plugs illicitly (Apple hasn't authorized anyone to make them yet, and is holding a powwow in November to get factories on board with their MFi program) and some have given up for now. Leading some amazon and eBay third-partiers to refund their customers orders. Some suppliers are putting up pictures of the inside of Thunderbolt cables (LOL) or have a pile of Apple cables photographed to make it look like they have stock, but realistically it'll be December/January before we start seeing third party Lightning accessories - unless one factory makes a huge breakthrough and is also willing to get harassed by Apple, since this is not a "dumb" dock connector anymore and you need Apple's licensing to produce it.
The 30 pin adapter is going to have pins 3,4, and 11 tied to 15 being R, L, G just like any other LOD that you can buy right now. So you'll be able to make your own "LOD" by routing a cable into this adapter and soldering it to the right places.
Edited by scootermafia - 10/6/12 at 10:29am
Not too sure if this is the right thread to post but today we attempted a to hook up an iPhone 5 to a standard USB DAC/Amp (TTVJ's new Apex Glacier actually). The connector used was the Apple Lighting MicroUSB adapter (the EU version), and VentureCraft's MIcroUSB<->MicroUSB cable. The VentureCraft cable works fine for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android so presumably a straight pass-through cable.
However in attempting the iPhone 5 setup with the Lighting MicroUSB adapter, it didn't work. The iPhone 5 didn't recognise the Apex Glacier at all (nothing appeared in the Settings->General->About) but at the same time playing music didn't come out from the iPhone speakers so I guess it was attempting to redirect audio out somewhere else.
Anyway here's a pic of the cable setup we were trying :-
Why does yours work and my attempted concoction didn't :p?? Admittedly was trying with a standard USB DAC/Amp (Glacier) instead of something like the CLAS -db (iDevice & USB DAC). Will be checking your cable prices soon after ;-).
- All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 27 seconds ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 1 minute ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your *Mid-Fi* Portable Rig ($200 - $600) 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Music City Meet Vol. 3 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2015 (April 18,... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by trane1992
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Ultrasone DJ1 PRO by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2