New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio E18 - Page 62

post #916 of 1417

I have listened to a few Flac albums on my S4 via Fiio E18 and they sound good

post #917 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post


This is a good question.
ALL Android devices got this limit at 16/44.1? Or is a software limit that can be removed somehow?
Anyone has tested Hi-Res files?

PS: my E18 is coming: tomorrow it seems to be the right day...
I have a Samsung note 3 that supports 24-192. I have some 24-192 flac as well. It goes out to my HRT MicroStreamer dac, at 96k. I haven't done any a/b blind comparisons yet. So differences in having above 16/44.1, I do not know.
post #918 of 1417

I just got the Android 4.3 update on my Verizon Galaxy S3 and it still works with my E18. :D

post #919 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I just got the Android 4.3 update on my Verizon Galaxy S3 and it still works with my E18. :D

After delaying the installation as I was waiting for any updates on here, I finally just went for it and I am not having any problems too.

 

However, prior to the change, I am experiencing problems with "GO keyboard". Does anyone else use this keyboard?

post #920 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzilla View Post

After delaying the installation as I was waiting for any updates on here, I finally just went for it and I am not having any problems too.

However, prior to the change, I am experiencing problems with "GO keyboard". Does anyone else use this keyboard?

Nope, but I have problems with the keyboard as well. I'm using Swype (highly recommended). I think it has to do with the governor of the kernel, as after switching it to performance everything runs smooth (Perseus Kernel). Not planning to update yet honestly.
post #921 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by noov View Post
 

You won't hear difference between 16/44.1 and anything other, what's the point of listen that high res files on phone?

You will, if the Phone would indeed send a 24/96 or 24/192 signal to a EXTERNAL DAC/AMP if the Phone wasn't capped. And the Phone wouldn't have to resample down to 16/44.1.

 

So what is indeed the point of using an external DAC if there is a limit in the Phone.

post #922 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post

You will, if the Phone would indeed send a 24/96 or 24/192 signal to a EXTERNAL DAC/AMP if the Phone wasn't capped. And the Phone wouldn't have to resample down to 16/44.1.

So what is indeed the point of using an external DAC if there is a limit in the Phone.
I am not sure if you are asking "what benefit is there to use an external dac with 16/44.1 content if that's what all output from a source is?" but that is what i interpreted.
The answer is the same as why anyone uses a dac ever, anywhere. Because it is an improvement in sound quality, regardless of what source content is being played at (bits/sample rate).
If all 16/44.1 sounded identical then people wouldn't invest in multi thousand dollar CD players for their home stereo setups. They would just use the CD functionality of an xbox, blue ray player, or whatever other disc reading component already present. They invest in a better dac/player in that case because it produces a better signal from that 16/44.1 source than what they currently have.

The same for phones. Many people will agree that DACs in most phones are bad. This has improved in recent waves of flagship releases tho. Still, even when I have a note 3 with a relatively good dac for a phone, I notice a strong difference when my HRT microstreamer is in use. More details, instrument separation, and while not a sound quality component, more volume.
post #923 of 1417

Finally the E18 is in my hands!

Is the rev. B and in all my tests the function switch is on the

Only the time for very quick test with my 3 Android devices.

 

ASUS TF300TG (tablet)

Android 4.2.1 (firmware V10.6.2.11) - Stock (not rooted)

The E18 is connected with the original Asus USB adapter.

The DAC is immediatly recognized (the red led becomes "pink") and sound comes out to the headphones.

 

SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS

Android 4.3 (JWR66Y) - Stock (not rooted)

The E18 seems to be recognized (the red led becomes pink) but no sound comes out.

 

SAMSUNG GALAXY S

Android 4.3 - Cyanogenmod 10.2 - kernel Mackay

The E18 is not recognized (the red led don't change the colour)

 

I am very sorry for the lack of recognition of the DAC from the Galaxy S which is currently my main music player (I use it ONLY for listening music). I was hoping that with a suitable kernel this old phone was able to work with the E18 ...

Do you think there is the possibility to operate the E18 with the Galaxy S?
And with the Galaxy Nexus?

post #924 of 1417
Any news for the Galaxy S? I'm waiting my Fiio, It will come today or tomorrow i hope, i have a Galaxy S2..
post #925 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post
 

Finally the E18 is in my hands!

Is the rev. B and in all my tests the function switch is on the

Only the time for very quick test with my 3 Android devices.

 

ASUS TF300TG (tablet)

Android 4.2.1 (firmware V10.6.2.11) - Stock (not rooted)

The E18 is connected with the original Asus USB adapter.

The DAC is immediatly recognized (the red led becomes "pink") and sound comes out to the headphones.

 

SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS

Android 4.3 (JWR66Y) - Stock (not rooted)

The E18 seems to be recognized (the red led becomes pink) but no sound comes out.

 

SAMSUNG GALAXY S

Android 4.3 - Cyanogenmod 10.2 - kernel Mackay

The E18 is not recognized (the red led don't change the colour)

 

I am very sorry for the lack of recognition of the DAC from the Galaxy S which is currently my main music player (I use it ONLY for listening music). I was hoping that with a suitable kernel this old phone was able to work with the E18 ...

Do you think there is the possibility to operate the E18 with the Galaxy S?
And with the Galaxy Nexus?


Marketing of this product seems wrong, my Ipad worked immediately after hookup through the CCK with the E18. My Galaxy S4 worked after upgrading to Android 4.3. But with the Ipad it sounds better both with a cheap Beyer Dynamics headphone and a HD25 Alu. The E18 is marketed for Android though.


Edited by dikkiedirk - 1/10/14 at 1:19am
post #926 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpler View Post
 

Finally the E18 is in my hands!

Is the rev. B and in all my tests the function switch is on the

Only the time for very quick test with my 3 Android devices.

 

ASUS TF300TG (tablet)

Android 4.2.1 (firmware V10.6.2.11) - Stock (not rooted)

The E18 is connected with the original Asus USB adapter.

The DAC is immediatly recognized (the red led becomes "pink") and sound comes out to the headphones.

 

SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS

Android 4.3 (JWR66Y) - Stock (not rooted)

The E18 seems to be recognized (the red led becomes pink) but no sound comes out.

 

SAMSUNG GALAXY S

Android 4.3 - Cyanogenmod 10.2 - kernel Mackay

The E18 is not recognized (the red led don't change the colour)

 

I am very sorry for the lack of recognition of the DAC from the Galaxy S which is currently my main music player (I use it ONLY for listening music). I was hoping that with a suitable kernel this old phone was able to work with the E18 ...

Do you think there is the possibility to operate the E18 with the Galaxy S?
And with the Galaxy Nexus?

 

the Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus should be limited by the hardware.

post #927 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

the Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus should be limited by the hardware.
Hi James! First of all, how are you?

Today afternoon i'll try the E18 with my galaxy s2.. Hope It works..
post #928 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zucchi13 View Post

Today afternoon i'll try the E18 with my galaxy s2.. Hope It works..

 

Doubt it, as the Galaxy Nexus internal design was based off of the GS2.  Definitely a long shot.

post #929 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post

Doubt it, as the Galaxy Nexus internal design was based off of the GS2.  Definitely a long shot.
Got rid of my galaxy nexus (verizon) due to reading of such limited support with dacs. This was before e18 came out tho. Hope you get lucky!
post #930 of 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

the Galaxy S and Galaxy Nexus should be limited by the hardware.

 

Hi James!

Is very nice to see you again! I hope you are fine...

 

Your answer leaves me puzzled.

 

GALAXY NEXUS

Why is this device limited by the hardware?

I'm sure that the USB OTG works: I've tested personally with a OTG cable and pendrive.

The only limitation is the software: I don't know why Google has not implemented the function and I must to use a software as StickMount (it requires root!) to mount a pendrive.

So, after reading your answer the question is: the USB OTG is not enough for the E18 DAC? There is something in the hardware that is missing in Gnex?

Is more probable that some module in the kernel is missing to support USB Audio device, isn't it?

 

GALAXY S

I know that the GS can not erogate power via USB, so is not possible to mount a pendrive or another USB device.

But I know that some people has added this feasture to this old phone: I read many threads on xda about this argument.

Is necessary to poer the usb device but after this I know that the OTG is possible (seen video on youtube).

Now the question is: if the E18 DAC is self-powered, there is some other hardware limitation that can not make the GS compatible with our DAC?

On a thread on xda a user answered me that the is necessary to power the connection (the DAC? the phone? I don't understand).

Another use write:

 

Quote:
Besides galaxy s can't power this up even with battery in dac.

 

Someone can help me in understand this?

 

ASUS TF300

New quick test. The DAC don't work whe connected to the USB port on the dock: the led becomes pink, but the sound is really crappy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps