New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio E18 - Page 25

post #361 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashade View Post
 

$149 i s a price I am willing to pay for this device.

 

+1. That's a fair price.

post #362 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welh View Post
... http://www.hifi-passion.de/FiiO/FiiO-E18.html

170€ in Germany. They even have it in stock, ...
No!
Quote:
Der Preis von 169€ ist noch nicht offiziell und kann bis zum offiziellen Start korrigiert werden.
FiiO E18 Kunlun – portabler USB DAC / Kopfhörerverstärker für Android Geräte - COMMING SOON -

Edited by drSeehas - 10/23/13 at 12:23am
post #363 of 1747
IF the E18 can bypass any Android phone with USB OTG... Does it mean it will work with PSP 2002 as well since it support USB OTG as well!
post #364 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

IF the E18 can bypass any Android phone with USB OTG... Does it mean it will work with PSP 2002 as well since it support USB OTG as well!
E18 cannot bypass any phone. It has a list of compatible phones, which currently I think are only the HTC one and some Samsung devices. Unless I missed some reading on this thread, e18 is NOT a be all end all USB dac compatible with any Android 4.0 device supporting USB otg. It is simply designed for use with android phones, and fiio is making efforts to accurately report compatibility with a growing (hopefully) list of android devices.
post #365 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayza View Post

E18 cannot bypass any phone. It has a list of compatible phones, which currently I think are only the HTC one and some Samsung devices. Unless I missed some reading on this thread, e18 is NOT a be all end all USB dac compatible with any Android 4.0 device supporting USB otg. It is simply designed for use with android phones, and fiio is making efforts to accurately report compatibility with a growing (hopefully) list of android devices.

But according to their website, it says "E18 can work with smartphones with USB OTG function"

Hopefully James from FiiO will clarify this hehe... I have a PSP 2002 laying around I was thinking of using it as my source with the E18 xD

Thanks for the reply! I do agree with you smily_headphones1.gif
post #366 of 1747

For supported models check FiiO's product page: http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442&MenuID=105026002

Currently they list only Galaxy s3,s4,note 2,HTC one, Sony l36h.

Other models might work or they might not.

 

As I understood it when I was at the FiiO stand at the Hong Kong fair they will release new firmwares with more phone models supported in the future.

post #367 of 1747
I doubt its the E18 supportig anything. I believe its just a list of phones that have native usb otg host on them and who have usb plugs that fit the E18.
post #368 of 1747
So we still don't have an estimated availability date?
post #369 of 1747
A month estimatedly.
post #370 of 1747

Hopefully it supports android tablets with USB OTG too.

post #371 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmai View Post
 

Hopefully it supports android tablets with USB OTG too.

 

No reason that it wouldn't, it's the same OS. 

post #372 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I doubt its the E18 supportig anything. I believe its just a list of phones that have native usb otg host on them and who have usb plugs that fit the E18.
I would actually bet the contrary: that those listed as compatible by Fiio actually ARE the only devices Fiio has tested that do work with the E18. There are numerous phones that have USB OTG and work with flash drives, keyboards etc, but do not work with USB DACs. It has something to do with the driver support of specific models and their specific android ROMs installed. For further information, look at the head Fi forums titled "Android phones and USB DACs" as this thread lists many MANY android devices, and what DACs people have gotten working on them. In that thread people have noted certain DACs working with a phone and others not, so it seems not all USB DACs work with a specific phone even if one does. An example of this is the Fiio E7 and E17. With some Samsung galaxy models, the E7 works on android 4.1 but not 4.2, and then the E17 works on 4.2 but not 4.1 (I may have the android versions flip flopped, but the point remains the same). So that specific phone supported a DAC with one version of android, but then when updated to a more current android version, that same DAC ceased to work with the phone.

So all this information leads me to believe that while the E18 is designed for android devices/phones, it will not be compatible immediately (or ever) with ALL android devices that you can otherwise plug a flash drive into (I.E. if the Android device supports USB OTG). A lot more can be learned in the other thread i mentioned above about general android devices and USB DAC support. I hope I've helped someone with this disorganized post..
post #373 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayza View Post


I would actually bet the contrary: that those listed as compatible by Fiio actually ARE the only devices Fiio has tested that do work with the E18. There are numerous phones that have USB OTG and work with flash drives, keyboards etc, but do not work with USB DACs. It has something to do with the driver support of specific models and their specific android ROMs installed. For further information, look at the head Fi forums titled "Android phones and USB DACs" as this thread lists many MANY android devices, and what DACs people have gotten working on them. In that thread people have noted certain DACs working with a phone and others not, so it seems not all USB DACs work with a specific phone even if one does. An example of this is the Fiio E7 and E17. With some Samsung galaxy models, the E7 works on android 4.1 but not 4.2, and then the E17 works on 4.2 but not 4.1 (I may have the android versions flip flopped, but the point remains the same). So that specific phone supported a DAC with one version of android, but then when updated to a more current android version, that same DAC ceased to work with the phone.

So all this information leads me to believe that while the E18 is designed for android devices/phones, it will not be compatible immediately (or ever) with ALL android devices that you can otherwise plug a flash drive into (I.E. if the Android device supports USB OTG). A lot more can be learned in the other thread i mentioned above about general android devices and USB DAC support. I hope I've helped someone with this disorganized post..

 

The whole point of the E18 is to work with more devices. USB audio is built in to 4.1 natively, but there isn't a trigger for it. That's what the thread your referring to is all about, some companies, like Samsung, have built it in to their firmware to watch for a USB DAC. ANY device should work with the right software, running Jelly Bean. Or a piece of hardware that triggers the USB audio, which I am pretty sure is built in to this. Hence the review here on Head-Fi fron ClieOS that indicates this works with his phone, while other USB DACs do not. 

 

In fact, I am convinced, just haven't taken the time to do the digging because my phone has it built in, that with a SQLite you could trigger USB audio on any JB device with OTG support, you would just have to find the right 0 to flip to a 1 in the database.


Edited by reginalb - 10/23/13 at 2:18pm
post #374 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalb View Post
 

 

The whole point of the E18 is to work with more devices. USB audio is built in to 4.1 natively, but there isn't a trigger for it. That's what the thread your referring to is all about, some companies, like Samsung, have built it in to their firmware to watch for a USB DAC. ANY device should work with the right software, running Jelly Bean. Or a piece of hardware that triggers the USB audio, which I am pretty sure is built in to this. Hence the review here on Head-Fi fron ClieOS that indicates this works with his phone, while other USB DACs do not.

 

In fact, I am convinced, just haven't taken the time to do the digging because my phone has it built in, that with a SQLite you could trigger USB audio on any JB device with OTG support, you would just have to find the right 0 to flip to a 1 in the database.

Thanks for the clarification. I just read (again) his review and now agree with you. Sorry for the babbling earlier, ha.

post #375 of 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayza View Post
 

Thanks for the clarification. I just read (again) his review and now agree with you. Sorry for the babbling earlier, ha.

 

No worries. I have spent a lot of quality time with Android, haha. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps