New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio E18 - Page 126

post #1876 of 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

No, it won't work because coax-out is, well, S/PDIF coax-out, and therefore it is a digital signal intended for another DAC.

 

On the other hand, if you plug the cable into the line-in / line-out jack (the one next to the headphone-out jack), it will works as just an DAC, as you wanted, to avoid double amping.

Thank you. And here I thought they were the same ports! So which means:

 

1. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC dac) > line-in to E18 > headphone-out (E18 amp section will be used)

2. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC) > usb/usb otg to E18  > line-out to external amp > headphone-out from external amp (E18 dac section only used)

3. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC) > usb/usb otg to E18 > headphone-out (both E18's dac+amp will be used)

 

Is this correct?

 

Though I'm still a little confused by how can I utilise the S/PDIF coax-out port of the E18.

post #1877 of 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by skingg View Post
 

Thank you. And here I thought they were the same ports! So which means:

 

1. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC dac) > line-in to E18 > headphone-out (E18 amp section will be used)

2. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC) > usb/usb otg to E18  > line-out to external amp > headphone-out from external amp (E18 dac section only used)

3. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC) > usb/usb otg to E18 > headphone-out (both E18's dac+amp will be used)

 

Is this correct?

 

Though I'm still a little confused by how can I utilise the S/PDIF coax-out port of the E18.

 

Yes, those are correct.

 

You use the S/PDIF when you want to connect to, say a desktop DAC that doesn't support smartphone directly.

post #1878 of 1885

I apologise for my ignorance, but are the E12a and the E18 the same thing apart from the latter being a DAC - which I understand to mean that it can work with devices (like laptops) with a USB port?

post #1879 of 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineToTheSky View Post
 

I apologise for my ignorance, but are the E12a and the E18 the same thing apart from the latter being a DAC - which I understand to mean that it can work with devices (like laptops) with a USB port?

 

E18 is intended as a headphone amp + USB DAC for smartphone, namely Android, but also works with PC and can be used as a standalone headphone amp.

 

E12A is intended to be the best sounding portable headphone amp FiiO has made so far.

 

So besides the difference in features, E12A is also noticeably better sounding than E18.

post #1880 of 1885
Thank you. It is quality I am looking for, so I will go for the E12a. I will be pairing it with my Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and my Westone W40. Would that be a good match?
post #1881 of 1885

@NineToTheSky

 

When you use the E18 via USB OTG with your Samsung, the DAC will be they high quality DAC of the E18 + its amp.

When you use the E12a, a pure AMP, you'll be using the DAC in your Samsung.

 

Personally I would advise the E18 then ... unless you'll also be using the AMP with other devices.

 

I use the E18 as DAC + Amp on my Samsung Galaxy S5, on my laptop and PC.

I use the E18 as AMP with my iPod (the very rare times I use the iPod)

 

 

Hope this can help,

 

Casper


Edited by CasperBxl - 3/6/15 at 8:49am
post #1882 of 1885

Thanks - that does make sense. Does the E18 make a notable difference?

post #1883 of 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineToTheSky View Post

Thanks - that does make sense. Does the E18 make a notable difference?
I use the e18 with my Note 3 and find it sounds really good with decent quality files through a variety of cans. For the cost I don't think you'll find much better with the same degree of functionality. I've been very happy with mine. The only thing I can fault is the bass boost which is just one stage and imo muddies up the sound. It's quite a warm amp anyway and already cleans up and accentuates the bass slightly.
post #1884 of 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrecedent View Post


I use the e18 with my Note 3 and find it sounds really good with decent quality files through a variety of cans. For the cost I don't think you'll find much better with the same degree of functionality. I've been very happy with mine. The only thing I can fault is the bass boost which is just one stage and imo muddies up the sound. It's quite a warm amp anyway and already cleans up and accentuates the bass slightly.

 

+1

post #1885 of 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineToTheSky View Post

Thanks - that does make sense. Does the E18 make a notable difference?
E18 made a big difference with my Droid Maxx. I had annoying EMI though and returned it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps