or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio E18 - Page 69

post #1021 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
 

 

That's the older E7...not the E07K...different units.  The E07K is significantly better.

You are correct, sir. Noted and edited. Sry about that!

post #1022 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

You might end up keeping the E18 + E12. Just say'in.

 

Oh lord, I hope not.. =/

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayza View Post
 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N0XDT4

FiiO E07K per the Deals thread here. Used-good condition is available for $16 + $7 shipping. I impulsively bought one, and other head-fiers have too. Again, I stole this straight from the deals discussion thread at http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/2490 post #2502. It may be another DAC/Amp that you were already considering, that at this price is worth throwing in for your comparison purposes.

 

Also, if you have $30 to spare, pick up a FiiO HS2. it is a 4 input, 1-2 output switcher for a/b comparing. This may be worth it if you are planning to compare sounds and sell of what you no longer need. In the long run, spending $30 on that is cheaper than holding on to multiple equipment setups. I have it and have not spent much time with it, but in the couple minutes I have, I have determined I cannot tell the difference between the HP output of my HRT MicroStreamer and the HRT's line out to a FiiO E12. Again, havent spent much time with it, but just a quick subjective observation of mine. Sonic Electronix is the only place I've found this in the US, so i bought one off their ebay page for i think $29.99.

 

Hope this helped!!

 

An E7 for $23 is definitely a good deal, but the universal consensus seems to be that the E07K is indisputably better than the E7, so I'd rather just fork over the $90 for that. Thanks for the tip, though. Maybe if I feel like the improvement in sound via the higher-end FiiOs doesn't satisfy my cost-to-benefit ratio, I might just pick up that E7 or an E6 instead.

 

 

As for the HS2, it sounds like an interesting and nifty device, but it seems pretty challenging to acquire, so I'll keep it in mind but probably won't pursue it right now. Thanks for the info, though!


Edited by nway - 1/27/14 at 9:48am
post #1023 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by nway View Post
 

 

An E7 for $23 is definitely a good deal, but the universal consensus seems to be that the E07K is indisputably better than the E7, so I'd rather just fork over the $90 for that. Thanks for the tip, though. Maybe if I feel like the improvement in sound via the higher-end FiiOs doesn't satisfy my cost-to-benefit ratio, I might just pick up that E7 or an E6 instead.

 

 

As for the HS2, it sounds like an interesting and nifty device, but it seems pretty challenging to acquire, so I'll keep it in mind but probably won't pursue it right now. Thanks for the info, though!

HS2 is not HARD to find, but there is just one retailer I've seen in the US, and that is Sonic Electronix. So either their website direct, or through their ebay storefront. I went eBay and it was here in under a week (to Ohio).

post #1024 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayza View Post
 

HS2 is not HARD to find, but there is just one retailer I've seen in the US, and that is Sonic Electronix. So either their website direct, or through their ebay storefront. I went eBay and it was here in under a week (to Ohio).

 

They're sold out, and FiiO stopped distributing them.

post #1025 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayza View Post
 

HS2 is not HARD to find, but there is just one retailer I've seen in the US, and that is Sonic Electronix. So either their website direct, or through their ebay storefront. I went eBay and it was here in under a week (to Ohio).


You mean here?:

 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74146_FiiO-HS2.html?utm_source=ebayenterprise&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=EEAN&source=ebayenterprise&publisherId=43737&clickId=828509342

 

I don't see anything on ebay. Anyway, if I feel like I need it once my E12/E18/Muse come in, I'll check whether it's in stock. Otherwise, I can probably live without it @ the $30 price.

post #1026 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by nway View Post
 


You mean here?:

 

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74146_FiiO-HS2.html?utm_source=ebayenterprise&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=EEAN&source=ebayenterprise&publisherId=43737&clickId=828509342

 

I don't see anything on ebay. Anyway, if I feel like I need it once my E12/E18/Muse come in, I'll check whether it's in stock. Otherwise, I can probably live without it @ the $30 price.

Wow. Sold out indeed. I just bought mine at the start of January. Surprised!

post #1027 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by nway View Post
 

 

An E7 for $23 is definitely a good deal, but the universal consensus seems to be that the E07K is indisputably better than the E7, so I'd rather just fork over the $90 for that. Thanks for the tip, though. Maybe if I feel like the improvement in sound via the higher-end FiiOs doesn't satisfy my cost-to-benefit ratio, I might just pick up that E7 or an E6 instead.

 

 

As for the HS2, it sounds like an interesting and nifty device, but it seems pretty challenging to acquire, so I'll keep it in mind but probably won't pursue it right now. Thanks for the info, though!

The E6 doesn't have much muscle and depending on what you need to drive, may fall short. You should really check the specs of what you are looking to buy.

post #1028 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

The E6 doesn't have much muscle and depending on what you need to drive, may fall short. You should really check the specs of what you are looking to buy.


Like I said, I might just simply not have the ears to discern $131 worth of sound improvement. Even right now, I have a cheap pair of presumable Beats knock-offs that, in all honesty, I think sound better than my V6s, aside from the hissing. Granted, I suspect that my V6s could be fake, too (why is the world so cruel?), but I haven't too wowed by my M50s either, which I'm pretty sure are the real deal. Thus far, I've had to assume that this is all simply because I haven't been DAC'ing and amping my gear, though I'll see whether that's truly the case come next week.

 

There's also the fact that I'm listening to lossy music, which might prove to be the bottleneck in the equation.


Edited by nway - 1/27/14 at 10:41am
post #1029 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by nway View Post
 


Like I said, I might just simply not have the ears to discern $131 worth of sound improvement. Even right now, I have a cheap pair of presumable Beats knock-offs that, in all honesty, I think sound better than my V6s, aside from the hissing. Granted, I suspect that my V6s could be fake, too (why is the world so cruel?), but I haven't too wowed by my M50s either, which I'm pretty sure are the real deal. Thus far, I've had to assume that this is all simply because I haven't been DAC'ing and amping my gear, though I'll see whether that's truly the case come next week.

 

There's also the fact that I'm listening to lossy music, which might prove to be the bottleneck in the equation.

I don't think the M50's are so great either. Once your ears get a taste of the real deal there is no going back. You need to listen to better cans just to get the idea of what great sound is like. Even if you can't buy them now, at least you will know how to plan the journey. Getting your ears more discerning just takes exposure to the real deal. I think that you should start a thread asking for advice about cans, list the types of music you listen to, explain what you like to hear, bass, mids , treble or neutral. Tell what your sources are, laptop, phone, etc.

 

For example Beats tend to be very bassy where you sacrifice the rest, IMO they suck. At first listen to good cans you may notice that the bass isn't overpowering and then begin to hear that the bass has quality, you can actually make out the notes, not a booming mess. Also, you will be able to hear things that you never noticed before because your previous cans/IEM's were just a cut above earplugs. Cymbals will have that metallic clink and clang. Once you get hooked up, you will truly begin to enjoy listening to music like never before.

post #1030 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I don't think the M50's are so great either. Once your ears get a taste of the real deal there is no going back. You need to listen to better cans just to get the idea of what great sound is like. Even if you can't buy them now, at least you will know how to plan the journey. Getting your ears more discerning just takes exposure to the real deal. I think that you should start a thread asking for advice about cans, list the types of music you listen to, explain what you like to hear, bass, mids , treble or neutral. Tell what your sources are, laptop, phone, etc.

 

For example Beats tend to be very bassy where you sacrifice the rest, IMO they suck. At first listen to good cans you may notice that the bass isn't overpowering and then begin to hear that the bass has quality, you can actually make out the notes, not a booming mess. Also, you will be able to hear things that you never noticed before because your previous cans/IEM's were just a cut above earplugs. Cymbals will have that metallic clink and clang. Once you get hooked up, you will truly begin to enjoy listening to music like never before.


Yeah, I've ordered the PRO500MK2 because it supposedly has less recessed mids than the M50 (granted, that's probably not the sort of cans you were talking about).

 

Aside from that, I'm actually hoping my X1s will be my last set of cans for the foreseeable future. I don't really see myself as needing more than one pair of audiophile-grade cans, due to the concept of diminishing returns (granted, they're perhaps too warm to be considered truly audiophile, but I don't mind that). Those should be my go-to cans for home listening when an open-back is opportune, and my cheaper closed-backs should suffice in other situations, which is why I'm willing to spend what I am for the FiiO. Prior to the X1 entering my radar, the highest-end cans I had my eye on was the HD 598, but since several X1 users have reported the X1 as being at least as good as if not better than the 598––assuming my X1s aren't defective––I can safely assume that I don't aspire to any higher-end cans beyond the X1 at this stage of my life.

 

As for my presumable Beats knock-offs, it actually has very mild bass, and I, believe it or not, love its sound due to its crisp mids and airy soundstage (which may very well mean that it actually sounds better than genuine Beats). If it weren't for its cheap plastic battery cover and the hissing of its "noise-cancelling" feature, I'd pretty much be fully satisfied with it, insofar as I've not yet had any true audiophile headphone experience.

 

Edit:

I've swapped the E12 for the C&C BH2. Does anyone know how the E18 sounds compared to the E12? Is it as warm? Or is it an entirely different sound signature?


Edited by nway - 1/27/14 at 4:36pm
post #1031 of 2236
Help! My E18's USB port is loose and no longer establishes a connection with my LG G2. What are my options? Does the FiiO warranty cover this? Super annoying, I've had it since launch in the US market.
post #1032 of 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiglobster View Post

Help! My E18's USB port is loose and no longer establishes a connection with my LG G2. What are my options? Does the FiiO warranty cover this? Super annoying, I've had it since launch in the US market.

I bet it does.
post #1033 of 2236

I have been using my Fiio e18 for about a week now.

 

I've seen people comparing the e18 with e7 and e17 on the sound signature and quality.

 

Some say e17 is better sounding but I really don't really have any experience with other portable dac/amps so I'll pass on the comment.

 

 

But there are a few comments I'd like to make with the portability of the e18.

 

I bought e18 specifically for the portable use and I pair it with Galaxy note 3 using power amp.

 

Now the OTG cable provided is good and a snug fit with both the note3 and e18.

 

The problem is when i fit both in my jacket pocket and start to walk around (It's cold here in NYC) and I start to experience music skipping to next track or music stopping at all with the set up.

 

This has never happened with the set up sitting on my desk.

 

I started to suspect that it was due to the OTG cable being pushed around in my pocket when walking.

 

I packed the setup in my messenger bag pocket and experience the same thing. (the bag moves a bit with walking.. )

 

So I held both in my pocket and I experience the same thing but only less frequently.

 

I don't know if this is the phone acting up or the fiio e18 when being shaken when walking.

 

Note that I wasn't using the rubber bands to hold the 2 devices together but I really don't like using the band cuz I tend to skip around the tracks from different albums to folders and the bands will block the screen where i need to access with fingers.

 

 

Does anyone with e18 experience the same?

 

 

 
Anyhow, I am quite disappointed now since this was only supposed to be my portable setup and not serving the purpose as intended.
post #1034 of 2236

Try jiggling the otg cable and see what happens. It is also possible that the play buttons on the E18 are accidentally getting tapped when in your pocket or bag.

post #1035 of 2236

I actually did.

 

Once the music stops I actually have to unplug the e18 and plug it back in to make it play music again.

 

That is actually why I initially suspected that it was due to the cable not being secured in to the plug.

 

 

As for the buttons on the e18 you really need to put some pressure on the buttons to make them work.

 

I hardly doubt that it is the buttons being pushed.

 

It could be that the galaxy's screen being turned on and the power amp widget button on the lock screen being pushed.

 

 

But as I've mentioned above, I even held the set up in my hand when walking and experienced the same.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps