Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › head fi really is a wallet drainer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

head fi really is a wallet drainer

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

So I spent quite a bit lately on headphones.  triportsad.gif  My wallet hurts.  I went from owning, quite happily I might add, a pair of MEElectronics M9s and PX200 IIs and splurged on *5* more headphones.  

 

Now I have the AKG K422s, ATH-M50s, old used pair of DT770s, and a nice used pair of DJ1 Pros (accidently ebay bid 2 pairs of these so I'll just get rid of 1). I don't think I'll keep them all though.   So far after about a week, I think my least favorite of these are the DJ1 Pros.  They have a metallic ringy sound that others have noticed.  If this was a pair of speakers, I'd say there's distortion caused by the way the tweeters are crossed over.  How many other people were bothered by this? 

post #2 of 35

Heya,

 

Pretty much.


Just wait until everyone starts telling you that you "need an amp" for everything. Literally everything. Whatever flavor of the month amp it is, it will be recommended (regardless of the person having any experience with said amp).

 

My advice to you is to simply enjoy a headphone or two, and stop looking at other headphones, or you'll get the curiosity and the cost along with it.

 

Very best,

post #3 of 35
Try to never pay full price and you won't feel so bad. Hunt for those deals or buy used (Like new) gear.
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

Pretty much.


Just wait until everyone starts telling you that you "need an amp" for everything. Literally everything. Whatever flavor of the month amp it is, it will be recommended (regardless of the person having any experience with said amp).

My advice to you is to simply enjoy a headphone or two, and stop looking at other headphones, or you'll get the curiosity and the cost along with it.

Very best,

Hey Mal... speaking of draining my wallet. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of 250ohm DT770 premiums for 175 bucks in "excellent condition" last night. I planned on this purchase being an xmas present like I told you but it seem like such a good deal. Do you think it would be a smart move to pull that rather than spending twice that for the D5000 at the morment?
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Hey Mal... speaking of draining my wallet. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of 250ohm DT770 premiums for 175 bucks in "excellent condition" last night. I planned on this purchase being an xmas present like I told you but it seem like such a good deal. Do you think it would be a smart move to pull that rather than spending twice that for the D5000 at the morment?

 

Heya,

 

The D5000 and DT770 (premium) are two of my favorite closed headphones. The only two I've kept. Since both are discontinued, I would take the DT770 for $175 any day as long as it's in good condition. And a D5000 for $350 would be an absolute steal if you can find one. I would buy it in a heart beat too at that price.

 

Very best,

post #6 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post

Try to never pay full price and you won't feel so bad. Hunt for those deals or buy used (Like new) gear.

Ebay is my friend.  I scored a pair of DT770 80ohms for $60.  Granted they were a little beat up but the build quality is so good its rock solid.   Also from Ebay were the DJ1 Pros and ATH-50s for $80 a piece.  The AKG K422s were $27 off Amazon brand new and very impressive.  Used is definately the way to go.

post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vormhat View Post

Ebay is my friend.  I scored a pair of DT770 80ohms for $60.  Granted they were a little beat up but the build quality is so good its rock solid.   Also from Ebay were the DJ1 Pros and ATH-50s for $80 a piece.  The AKG K422s were $27 off Amazon brand new and very impressive.  Used is definately the way to go.

 

Heya,

 

Indeed. I picked up most of my stuff used, here from Head-Fi members, or from used/refurb Amazon warehouse (since it has a 30 day return policy, even on used, great stuff).

 

Very best,

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

The D5000 and DT770 (premium) are two of my favorite closed headphones. The only two I've kept. Since both are discontinued, I would take the DT770 for $175 any day as long as it's in good condition. And a D5000 for $350 would be an absolute steal if you can find one. I would buy it in a heart beat too at that price.

Very best,
I kinda thot so. I hope he still has em. Gunna have to do it. Thanx.
post #9 of 35
Oh Geez... I just pulled the trigger Mal.

184 with shipping and tax.

Cant believe I just spent more money this month on headphones..... NIce discipline. Im an oak.
post #10 of 35

You can try going to an audio store nearby next time you want to try out some headphones. The ones near the major cities have most headphones you see people talking about on head-fi.

post #11 of 35
Head-Fi is poison to my bank account. smily_headphones1.gif

you can't take $$$$ with you when you die so enjoy the fruit of your labor now.
Reply
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

Pretty much.


Just wait until everyone starts telling you that you "need an amp" for everything. Literally everything. Whatever flavor of the month amp it is, it will be recommended (regardless of the person having any experience with said amp).

 

My advice to you is to simply enjoy a headphone or two, and stop looking at other headphones, or you'll get the curiosity and the cost along with it.

 

Very best,

 

I was just about to say to 'vormhat' to listen to your advice,when i saw your headphone list in your sig,either you don't own all of them presently,or you don't follow you're own advice,anyway,i write this tongue in cheek,so don't take it the wrong way.

 

Like i said,i agree with you,when we're busy wanting what we don't have,we're not enjoying what we do have,i tend to march to the beat of my own drummer,and take every opinion with a grain of salt.

 

I often play my Grado GS/PS/HP1000 straight from the headphone output of my old Yamaha integrated amp,wich i'm sure would get me crucified in some countries.

post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

I was just about to say to 'vormhat' to listen to your advice,when i saw your headphone list in your sig,either you don't own all of them presently,or you don't follow you're own advice,anyway,i write this tongue in cheek,so don't take it the wrong way.

 

Like i said,i agree with you,when we're busy wanting what we don't have,we're not enjoying what we do have,i tend to march to the beat of my own drummer,and take every opinion with a grain of salt.

 

I often play my Grado GS/PS/HP1000 straight from the headphone output of my old Yamaha integrated amp,wich i'm sure would get me crucified in some countries.

 

Heya,

 

When you've gone down the road, you know it. Then you can tell others what was there. If you haven't gone down that road, you can't do that. It's a very expensive lesson to learn.

 

Very best,

post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

 

Heya,

 

When you've gone down the road, you know it. Then you can tell others what was there. If you haven't gone down that road, you can't do that. It's a very expensive lesson to learn.

 

Very best,

 

You got a point,and i see by you're headphone collection that you have many different brands,i've noticed that many peoples own many headphones from the same manufacturer,(myself included),and become fanboys of the particular brand that they own,(myself excluded),i try to stay objective.

 

I own 4 pair and i sometimes have a hard time picking one,i can jus imagine what it must be like for you,altough,that's a nice problem to have.

post #15 of 35
Thread Starter 

I've gone down this road before except it was speakers.  Thing is, its much, much easier to do with headphones since they're cheaper and smaller.  I bought and sold countless times off audiogon, craigslist, and ebay.  At one point my small condo had 4 pairs of floorstanders and 3 pairs of bookshelves.  I did finally settle on a pair of planar magnetic speakers that are 100 lbs each.    Personally, its nice to have a little taste from different brands, its like a buffet !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › head fi really is a wallet drainer